Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Kate C, Environments

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
KateC polycounter lvl 7
I've just finished school last week (it was a tiny 8 month program) and had my final grad show, but I'd like to get some much needed input before I start bugging too many people about work.

This was my end of the year website (www.katecraig.ca/3D.html), and while I know it's missing wires for much of the work, it's something I'll be adding as soon as I can get my school computer up and running again with Maya. Hopefully this week.

To make it short and sweet, let me know me if this is a textbook case of 'don't quit your day job' or not. I'd really like to get into environments, but the more I check out Polycount portfolios, the more daunting it becomes, and the more worried I am that I've pigeon holed myself in a stylistic corner.

Help me, Polycount, you're my only hope.

Replies

• PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    The work is well done for the most part, but yea, I think you are kind of pigeonholed at the moment. You are basically limiting yourself to a handful of companies that do this kind of style. I've seen postings for Telltale for the last couple months though, and they have this kind of art style, so that would probably be your best bet right now. But I think you're going to get limited responses from the rest of the pool of companies, so I would definitely recommend working on more stuff that has a more realistic style to appeal to a wider range of companies.

In terms of your work, I think the dock and the red building are well done and cartoony but detailed. However the white building just feels bland and lacking in detail instead of being stylized but detailed like the others.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Your stuff looks nice, but I would have to agree that it's a little limited in terms of style at the moment.
    The best advice I could give is that you will probably want to create at least 1 environment that is more "photo-real".

As mentioned Telltale's style tends to be a lot like this, I've personally spoken to an Art Director from TTG, and what they want to see in an environment artist's portfolio is this basically. Realism, Stylized, Reference Sheets for Environments, Environments w/Props and w/o Props, Lighted, Textured. At Telltale an Environment Artist does everything in the environment, modeling, texturing, lighting, propping.
  • KateC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KateC polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks very much for the solid advice, guys. I had a feeling I was going to shoot myself in the foot, but it's good to know it's not too late. I'll make a point of doing a realistic piece for the next project and try to add a little more detail/personality while I'm at it, because I totally agree about the white building. It's having some kind of serious personality crisis.
  • 3D-209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The link doesn't seem to be working for me, but since others are seeing it I guess it's on my end? I get an "Address Not Found" error page. I will try from home later, but I thought I'd give you a heads up just in case it's not only happening for me.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    I get the same error. its weird cause i can partially load the page using a proxy, but i still cant view the artwork
  • KateC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KateC polycounter lvl 7
    Aw man. :( Sorry guys, and thanks for the heads up. It was acting up last week, but I thought I'd resolved it. I'm looking into it right now, and hopefully it'll get sorted shortly.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Well, if what you've put in your portfolio is the same stuff you have in your blog, then I must say, superb work! Keep it up! I think I've spoken to you regarding one of your environments, how the style seemed to have changed halfway, but it still looks amazing. Like mentioned above, I think you need a little variety regarding the artistic style. You're great, and I mean absolutely awesome at handpainted/cartoony textures. It's something I need to work on. But you need to get some realistic stuff in there. Prevent that rainbow from vomiting all over the place. :P

Great work though, looking forward to seeing that portfolio!
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Portfolio works fine for me! Looks great, too. I am tempted to describe the content as "sparse," but I think "concise" is a more accurate term. Of course, it would be nice if they were all as detailed as piece one, and had construction shots (flats, wires), but that is my opinion; to do that would make the small collection more concise. (:
  • KateC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KateC polycounter lvl 7
    Highfives! I'll keep working on 'er, for sure. And I'll make my next prop the most gritty, realistically textured thing out there, just for you, Prophecies.

Vrav, I think you were right the first time with sparse, haha. I'm starting a list of things to work on, and I'll add that on there, for sure, right up there with normal maps that don't blow and more variety. Thank you!
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    looking great *thumbsup*
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Well I think your work is awesome...there are loads of games with styles similar to the work you exhibit...you 3/4 of Wii titles, etc. It's refreshing to not see a normal mapped barrel screegrab in Marmoset. You'll find work no problem.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    pretty cool stuff!
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I've said it before, but your style is simply delicious.
  • 3DRyan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DRyan polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, link's definitely not working for me.