Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Glen Fox - Environment Artist - Portfolio

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
glenatron polycounter lvl 11
Have totally redone my portfolio over the past few months, in an attempt to land my first job.

Anyways, I've applied for around 8-10 jobs this past month or so (some junior positions) and have since received no replies. Any c+c on what I may be doing wrong, or not doing as the case may be, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Glen Fox

http://fox-gameart.net

EDIT:
Well the site has been updated again with some new stuff, trying to cover issues that were covered here. Here's the jist

My CVs been updated, I went to an advisor to help sort it out. Still no modding experience on there, but thats because the small amount I've done wasn't worth mentioning.
Have created a modular street corner, to aleviate the problem with only having highly fictional environments.
Also finished my Dead Space scene, to replace my older scifi scene.
Petey piranha has a more dynamic shot.
Have re-comped my ruins scene, to condense it into one area, and redone lighting/post to boot.
Also done a small ds spec scene, although the vertex lighting needs some reworking on that one.

Breakdowns will be added soon, and hopefully a couple more works, most importantly a pure high poly mesh.

Anyways, any c+c on this new work, and the site in general would be much appreciated.

Replies

• Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Your environments are pretty good, as are most of your props. Honestly, i don't see much wrong, especially the top piece is pretty strong. I think the only piece I consider of lesser quality is the Mustang car; it's not very accurate and has quite a few proportional problems. Technically it's exectuted okay though (like no blatant errors or so). But you can guess I'm a lot stricter on this than most people and having done one myself it's easy to compare.

You could improve your website a little bit: the scrolling frame in the center is a bit annoying. You could also try to show some separate objects you created for some of the scenes on those pages.

But honestly I guess you gotta keep trying (I'm assuming you're not writing any inappropriate cover letters, since your CV is well written).
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    First off, I would get rid of the giant FOX Logo you have there. I think it is just a distraction, and doesn't do your work justice tbh.

The other thing I sort of have a problem with are you scenes are just too random to me. Like its difficult to judge if they are well done, because they are all highly fictional type pieces.

I think you would do much better to make say, a scene from a movie or something. If you can think of something cool that people will actually recognize, and say "Hey I know that... this is perfect!"

At the moment, no one can really relate much to your work. Anyways, one of the best environments I have seen imo, of a person right out of school looking for work did a environment from the first saw movie. That was a really memorable piece to me. You really should strive for something like that.

Actually, I just managed to dig it up: http://www.medicinal-waste.co.uk/chillalex/

[edit] Oh yeah, and you just started posting on Polycount now, that's your other problem. J/k ... Best of luck dude, I hope this helped. :)
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    -I think the second image in your jump scene is better than the first. I would put the second image as the thumbnail

-I would put the Pirahna scene second rather then third because I think it looks better than the jump scene.

- The work is a lot better then the site design. I would simplify the site and make it more minimilistic. Maybe a darker background so you can see the images better.

I think this is a good portfolio and you could get a job from it. I agree that another realistic environment would be a great addition. Actually I want the castle scene and piranha scene for my portfolio lol
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    As others mentioned, your portfolio is very solid.

One thing that might be a factor is that lots of companies make sci fi type games, and your big sci fi piece is very underwelming and is probably one of the weakest pieces. So they may be thinking, "he has a lot of good work, but he sucks at the art style we are making".

Also, it can take a 1-2 months to hear back from places. I've applied to some places and gotten a positive response back, but it took 1-2 months.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Looking at your resume, you lack any team experience. While a great portfolio is the most important factor, experience is important as well. I don't just mean experience at a company because that is the catch 22, but I don't see any evidence that you've worked as part of a team. Mod work is the best way to get that experience and demonstrate that you've worked as part of a pipeline, gotten feedback from leads, etc. On your resume you state multiple times that you know how to work as a part of a team etc, but it rings hollow since there is no evidence you've ever worked on a team.

I would condense your resume down to 1 page, and get rid of all the retail job experience. Replace that with mod experience, though that will take time. Also, I don't live in the UK, so I don't know what AS and all that stuff is, but are those grades? I can't imagine anyone at a studio cares what your grades are. Saying you know a program is enough on a resume, you don't have to go into detail. That is the kind of thing that you'll discuss during an interview.

Remember, you have to get past HR first, so resume does matter a lot.
  • glenatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the awesome comments!

I've fixed a few things with the site, thanks to the crits raised here. Its now light on dark, I've lost the frameset so its just one column, Ive cleared up the header, reoredered the scenes. And the 'back to portfolio' links link back to where the viewer was on the page.
    I've actually got rid of the second page, although I do feel the text at the bottom of the page looks a little disjointed.

I'll fix my resume later today hopefully, and I'll add breakdowns of some scene components when I get the chance too.

I'm actually building a scene from a piece of Dead Space concept art atm, so hopefully that will fix the problem I have with poorly concepted scifi (I'll be replacing my current scifi scene with it), and it should be a bit more relatable. After that, I'll look at doing just a small realistic environment, some kind of street corner most probably.
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    The site looks tonnes better now. I would replace the Misc work thumbnail with the news vending machine image because it's a lot better then the character.

I think the Dead Space environment is a great idea.
  • ivanushka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MUCH better! The whites, pinks, and teals just weren't working before (although originality can still be good). The previous layout/design made me think: graphic designer, now I think: game artist.

Of course, the color scheme doesn't always have to be littered with blacks, grays, reds, and skulls... but this compliments your portfolio images tons more.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    really good changes made here. I think you could fix that tileing background image just have it tile across x axis and then put a colour that matches the colour at the bottom of the gradient for the rest of the website background colour.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    i see nothing really jaw dropping. i suggest you focus on something really large scale and ambitious. work on it for several months. Thats what im doing.
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From what I can see, your modeling is your strongest skill at the moment. You need to work extra hard on your texturing and material definition/shaders. Also your renders/ textures are very blurry all over the place. Your excessive use of DOF is killing your scene even more.

My suggestion would be do a lot of highpoly props, practice bakes to low-poly. Then work on texturing/shader/Material definition.

I hope this has shed some light on you, work extra hard, keep making new stuff and keep applying. Do not just be sitting there and waiting for it to come...you will drive yourself mad :)
  • Darkmaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
    The WoW inspired building is one of my favorite pieces on your site. It's nice to see a contrast from the Bastion scene you've made with the handpainted stuff. Keep up the good work.
  • glenatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the site has been updated again with some new stuff, trying to cover issues that were covered here. Here's the jist

My CVs been updated, I went to an advisor to help sort it out. Still no modding experience on there, but thats because the small amount I've done wasn't worth mentioning.
    Have created a modular street corner, to aleviate the problem with only having highly fictional environments.
    Also finished my Dead Space scene, to replace my older scifi scene.
    Petey piranha has a more dynamic shot.
    Have re-comped my ruins scene, to condense it into one area, and redone lighting/post to boot.
    Also done a small ds spec scene, although the vertex lighting needs some reworking on that one.

Breakdowns will be added soon, and hopefully a couple more works, most importantly a pure high poly mesh.

Anyways, any c+c on this new work, and the site in general would be much appreciated.

LINK IN FIRST POST
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    I haven´t seen the previous version of your website...but now it is looking realy nice.
    There are nothing there that is causing trouble for you, I believe that the reason of you didn´t get your job yet is that there are a lot of people trying to get a job as you.
    You have realy good stuff there, keep trying (I know, that is realy annoying). I am sure that soon something gonna happen!
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Really nice stuff, I love the Dead Space environment

Like Fabio I didn't see the original site but it looks great now. Nice :)