Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

elf character

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
yo sup :)

so i haven't been doin many characters in my spare time latley... or if i have i usually never go back to them after about an hour or two's work :P
hopefully i can change that around a little ^^

anyways, doodled out a head last night. i suck at concepting so might need some help on the designing and all when i get to it. Thinking fancy royal clothes with like stripes in there somewhere, or a checker pattern (they cool).
updates to come (fingers crossed :\)

01a.jpg

Replies

• Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like a solid start, very nice facial features
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers ^^

quick scribble i just did, might not make sense to anyone but me at this stage :poly136:
    kinda what i got in mind, mostly cloth and leather and frilly lace bits everywhere (and there's a sword in there too :P)

02a.jpg
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Id love to see a cool elf that isnt all WoW over it, like most stuff these days, nothing wrong with them, but its too much of a standard.

Judgeing by the look of your concept, it doesnt look like wowish, so yeah keep going!

Looks a little fable 2 like in clothing style, interesting choise, id suggest some small armor plating around the fabric, maybe on the hands and feet, not a full set, just something to give the thing a dynamic look, unless your going for a non combat character that is.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Looking great man! I'm really digging the proportions of her face.

Hows the job been treating you so far?
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    nice face, except male chin.
    looking forward for updates
  • Stutts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stutts polycounter lvl 11
    looks good man. I really dig the clothing design. keep it up
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The jaw/chin looks somewhat masculine. The ears feel like they need thicker cartilage to stick out that far and be believable.

Clothing looks interesting. Looking forward to updates.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    other than the ears, the face is way too human looking.
    now, this is entirely subject to which "genre" of elves you're trying to go with, but generally speaking (throughout all the different lores they're involved with), the eyes should be slanted, the face should be much longer, the nose needs to be sharper, more... hawklike, and the lips could do with being thinner.

also, depending if you're going for male or female, either way it's a very very defined face so far, and even male elves have very soft features.

edit:
    PHB35_PG11_WEB.jpg
  • Wayfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice stuff so far.. I miss the slanted eyes and a bit more flesh on those ears though.And maybe she has a bit too much chin.
    Really dig that sorta noble cloth designs..
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your doing pretty good but theres some things that are a bit weird
    theres a male chin in there. Im guessing your aiming for a female. It should be pointier since that is a distinct aspect of elves. Also, the ears get too thin near the tips. The clothing design is great though. keep at it!!!!:)
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I love the face. Probably would go better with a legging bottom. Top is great on the costume. If you did a legging you would have to make a pretty female lower half to counter the strong face.

Great stuff.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woo replies (thanks gais ^^)

spitfire: hehe, yeah the wow type look is a bit overdone i think... tho this style might be overdone in like korean mmo's maybe? dunno, can never get them to run on my comp :P cool idea on the armour bits, gonna have a play around with it
    muzz: =D jobs been goin good so far man... leavin me little energy to do my own stuff tho :( (miss aus, this country's gettin colder >_<)
    conte: haha, yeah agreed on the chin (sapmson said the same thing yesterday), gotta try and fix it
    stutts: ty :)
    tim: cheers man. Yeah i think i gotta retopo the head, there's like zero polies in the ears right now :P
    gir: some cool idea's i might play around with (pulling the eyes around a bit, etc)...
    wayfa: ty ^^
    marlfox8: yep, defo gotta fix those things now :P
    kanga: was just thinking that. Thinking of just making her legs a bit longer and ending in a point... so less bulk and stuff
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    Nice stuff Nizza, will be following your thread :)
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    nizza - mdbox or zbrush? - i'm interested in how you 'sculpted' the hair
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    Looking good as always Nizza, looking forward to seeing the progress on this.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte: ^__^
    achmed: zb all the way man :P did a little 'prog' pic early on, might as well throw it in here :P (madea cube then sculpted away, then retopo'd the 'strips' of hair in topogun)
    CJE: haha, cheers dude ^^

01b.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ugh, hate base meshing >_<

yeah, still prolly too early to see where i'm going with the details but gettin the blocking out of the way so i can sculpt away the weekend :poly142: (and only did some minor tweaks to the face, i'll have to go back and adjust it proper after some more bsmeshes get in there... prolly can't tell much difference yet :P).

03a.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Nizza: Looking cool man! I can't really crit this early in the game, but since this is your work, I'm sure it will turn out great! Keep going dude!
  • ivanushka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work thus far. Although I'm not too fond of the big lips and long chin, I think the anatomy reads well overall for a stylized character. I'm currently working on a personal female elf piece as well, so I'll be really curious to see where you take this. The concept armor looks and feels great.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I think the features look a bit too big on the head...
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    like an update... 'cept shittier :\

man, i gotta boosh out character at (relativley) lightening pace at work yet it's taken me 2-ish weeks to get 4 hours done on this character... :poly127:

Anyways, i kept adjusting the face this evening and it kindof looked more female then looked more male, thinking a do-over might be in order (earlier head back in place for now).
    can't wait for the blocking/base meshing phase to be ovar ^^

04a.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brad: haha, cheers man... you know like 90% of my stuff turn out shit right... the other 10% only turns out slightly less poop (but only slightly :P)
    ivanushka: ty :) hope the proportions are still holding up... and yeah, face is a tear down at this point methinks >_<
    blenderhead: yeah agree'd, dunno what happened on this one (female heads be hard :\)
  • Belltann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belltann polycounter lvl 17
    Looking real sharp. Going to enjoy this :)
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Oh I really like this one Nizza :D

I Love her clothes. Awesome cleavage too.

It will be interesting to see the hair :D
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    You know you are on the path to success if a chick says the cleavage is ace :)
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha yea firebert! the clothes are awesome too great design!
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    this is coming out nicely so far! looking forward to see where you take it
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Nice one dude! Love how your approaching this. Keep going! :)
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    great start Nizza...I'm getting a harajuku vibe from the clothing, looking forward to seeing where you take this
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belltan: :)
    anux: woo, i win (ty ^^). dunno how im gonna do the hair yet tho tbh, might try half sculpting those chunks and half low poly texture painting (i have neither of those skills atm so we'll see :poly136:)
    firebert: haha, agree'd :P
    woog: ^^ cheers dude
    hntrluc: thank you :)
    brad: cheers man : D
    seth: haha, oh man i haven't looked at harajuku stuff in ages... so much cool outfit ideas =O

ty for the replies all... only got a half update today so yeah, just spammin the ole polycounts >_<

Legs look weird all nekkid atm but hopefully will look cooler once i get these damn boots working for me :P
    also thinking of going with the stockings then leather straps and armour stuff that run into boots. Might streamline and taper the lower half of the character... need pictures to describe this stuff i think ^^;

04b.jpg
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    very cool and snazzy nizza. fly me to new zealand and teach me your ways. (cmon - we go way back?!)

Keep it up
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    This char is looking great, I love the proportions! But there are two things that still annoying me...
    -Her neck looks a little too long
    -Her face still looking masculine in my opinion...maybe some work on her chin would help

:thumbup:
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Will you be giving her pantaloons or perhaps some pantyhose? The softnes of the material would work well with her legs and costume :D
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    I actually kind of like the face the way it was. It has a lot of personality. I tend to like very pretty and conventional elves, but it didn't seem like that was what you were going for and that's perfectly fine. This seems like it could be a more real, "hard-boiled" kind of female elf that would be pretty cool. The clothing is looking great, although a little more "dressy" and feminine than I was expecting after having seen her face first.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    it looks really GREAT
    i love the little details in the clothing ;P
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking good. love the costume design
  • achillesian
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    I like this so far
  • Stinyzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually got confused when I saw boobs with that face. I like personality but I think this face needs a softer chin and brow before I can be convinced it is all female. Feminine does not always equate to pretty.

Otherwise, this is looking really good! I like the outfit you have going so far, can't wait to see more progress on it.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson: haha, cheers mayne :P
    fabio: good point on the neck dude, got a bit more proportions tweaking to do still i think
    DKK: cool stuff, i've tried warping this head so much it's gettin really crazy, redo coming up asap (gettin lost in the cloth stuff atm :P)
    Anux: haha, really wanted to go with the pantaloons but decided to roll with some fancy patterned stockings instead... shame the thighs are so covered, i dig thigh high stockings (too much information, yes i know :\)
    haikai: haha, yeah i'm leaning more towards the final fantasy tactics style noble fasion... i imagine their tailors don't know what the hell clothes are without frilly dress bits everywhere :3
    jungsik: ^^ cheers dude, here's hoping i can carry them through to the sculpt :P
    marlfox: ty :)
    achillesian: :P
    EricV: cheers man :)

aight, had to write friday night and saturday off (hangover plus cartoons > everything) but yeah, more or less done with my initial first pass blocking phase thing i guess... can finally move onto proper sculpting and detailing (woo).

Got heaps more trims and belts/straps/buckles and frilly details to stick in there as well as fancy ornate designs sewn into the fabrics but yeah... Still kinda tweaking proportions around a bit tho (and head's gotta be redone still yar), thinking the dress could be lowered a bit more too and need more back details.

04e.jpg
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet looking update mate..

One obvious thing I notice is the boob feels like floating, with that outfit, the breast would be pushed up.

Hm...probably it's just me..
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Nizza: Clothes & design looks cool, but face still looks mannish to me. You've successfully made the first Elven Transvestite I've ever seen.
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza: Clothes & design looks cool, but face still looks mannish to me. You've successfully made the first Elven Transvestite I've ever seen.

Yeah, I think it's triangular jaw and blocky area above the eyebrows.

I love it though
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    The face reminds me of pior's style. I guess that isn't a bad thing. :)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Not all women are soft and squidgy. The world is full of women with strong chins and all the better for it, I say.

Keep it up, Mate. It's coming along well.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte: cool point man, ill try shifting things around up there before doing any srs detailing :P
    scooby: haha, yeah face is still the same >_< and come on, there's gotta be some elvish tranny's out there somewhere, they already got the androgyny thing down :poly136:
    moosey: yeah, defo think it has something to with the brow area
    junkie: haha, now all i need is teh awsomeness and french-ness and i'm set ^^
    jackablade: ^____^ cheers man... i haven't tried pushing the head towards the 'manly' direction yet, don't tempt me :P

sorry for teh random post but i gotta post somewhere... oh god why didn't anyone tell me this stuff was so fuggin awsome (now i know why there's a billion hellboy sculpts out there, i think i love you mike mignola ;_;)

...just started reading hellboy btw :\ (bout 30 min, needs moar style... think there's gonna be alot of hellboy chars coming out of me for a while :P)

02-pic01.jpg

02-pic02.jpg
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    It's ok, I GUESS.

Damn you and your awesomness, loving the styles. Keep going man, I want to see more more more! Don't let your job beat you :P
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Not all women are soft and squidgy. The world is full of women with strong chins and all the better for it, I say.

Keep it up, Mate. It's coming along well.

seconding this, yes its different, but not mannish in my opinion, just a more stern, more resolute woman, and i like her! Strong female lead, "Cameronesque"?
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    electro: haha, cheers man (get postin yo :P)
    achillesian: yeah i'm not sure where i'm goin right now. Could be that right now i've kinda fallen halfway between a distinctly male and a distinctly female face if that makes sense... dunno if that's the case but maybe :P

arg, new forums are slow (but awsome... tho weird :3)

little more tweaking on the face... and a friend got me into the goon as well, so i gotta do a billion hellboy sculpts and now a proper goon sculpt (gonna pose him and everything and have a base for him maybe... super crap sketch below)

(oh and my 'new' head...)

04-pic01.jpg

05a.jpg

nizza_goon_sculptsketch.jpg

05c-joke.jpg
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That last shot... what a fox. It definitely looks more feminine now, I think the beard helped.