Home Technical Talk

Python, Meet 3ds Max 2010

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Revel interpolator
Guys, I've installed Blender along with the Python Script on my machine with no problem. But recently I notice that 3ds Max acting weird after I installed them, which is the viewport default light become over bright. I check the material slots and all the sphere are kinda over-exposed, normally they are all gray in color, but now its bright white.

Does anyone know how am I suppose to fix this?
Or is it only by uninstalling Python?..which then cause my Blender not working correctly. I don't think this is the only way to solve this problem, cus I try to google on this problem but i found people wanting it Python to work with 3ds Max instead of separating it and causing problem.

PS: I have started another thread regarding it on another AREA. But seems until now no one has any answer for me yet.

_Revel

Replies

• aniceto
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    has nothing to do with python. go into your scene and hit 8 for for the environment and effects window(or go Rendering -> Environment) and change the ambient colour to black
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Theres also a nasty bug in max 2009 (and other releases maybe ?) when even if the color picker shows grey for ambient, the scene displays it black until you manually click the spinner ever so slightly.

Anyone got a fix for that? Even a Maxstart.max doesnt fix it ...
  • Bryan Cavett
    Offline / Send Message
    Bryan Cavett polycounter lvl 19
    Pior: You could use a startup script or a new scene callback script to do this but it would change the ambient value for every scene you open unless you run a test to see if there has been a filename set for the current scene.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Any idea on how to set it up ? I find myself adjusting that stupid value back to mid grey pretty much ... every day haha. Ill run some tests to see if I can somehow narrow it down. Thanks for the suggestions btw. Is it still happening in newer Maxs ? This, and the antialias incompatibility (even forcing the Nvidia driver to AA doesnt work) are the only problems I have with Max2009. Besides this it really is the best version for me....
  • Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    aniceto
    That's actually worked man..Hmm, I wonder how did that change by it self?..Well, at least now I know how to fix that problem. Thanks!

pior
    Hi man, as what I understand from your post, you need to set the ambient color every time you restart max, correct?..I already try in Max 2010 and it looks like the value that I put in the ambient will stay for the next launch of Max. But if you set the color and save it the with scene then it will save together with the scene. So you can have your default value and if want to change for certain scene, change it and it will stay with the scene.

_Revel
  • Bryan Cavett
    Offline / Send Message
    Bryan Cavett polycounter lvl 19
    Pior: Turns out I had this laying around on my HDD. It toggles between black and any other color you want to define but you'll have to edit the script. I would think that adding it to a hotkey would be better than a startup/callback script.
    macroScript modeling_Env category:"BCTools"
    (
    	on execute do
    	(
    		global modeling_Env
    		if modeling_Env != undefined and modeling_Env then
    		(
    			modeling_Env = off
    			ambientColor = black
    		)
    		else
    		(
    			modeling_Env =  on
    			ambientColor = color 38 38 38 --change this value
    		)

redrawViews()
    	)

)

You'll want to adjust the "38 38 38" values to the color you want to use.

I imagine the bug in 2009 is just a redraw views bug on scene startup.
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Revel wrote: »
    PS: I have started another thread regarding it on another AREA. But seems until now no one has any answer for me yet.
    Thats because the Area every now and then turns out to be a graveyard.
    CGtalk is the place to talk with Maxscript veterans - maybe add a thread there as well and have a look at their Python Mxs thread.
  • Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Heheh..they're not that bad all the time, some times those guys at AREA also give you a good answer~
    CGTalk, hang out there quite often but haven't register yet..dunno why..

_Revel