Home Technical Talk

Fixing seams on AO map?

CJE
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
CJE polycounter lvl 13
I'm having some trouble getting rid of seams on an AO map.

The map is rendered on a black background, and I've added some padding around the UV's, but I'm still getting black seams where the geometry is mirrored.

Is there any solid way to fix this?

Replies

• PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Can you post an example? Sometimes you just have to paint out details on meshes with instanced or mirrored parts.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What app, Xnormal, Max, Maya?

If max or maya are you using Mental Ray AO or a custom light setup?

Are the mirroed shells stacked or did you offset all but one piece, one unit to the right, left, top or bottom?

Pics really help.
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    I baked only 1/2 the model in Max with basic light tracer/white material setup.

On the full model with stacked UV's, I get a seam on the mirrored edge, even with padding places around the UV's, there is no more space on the UV map to paint over.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, do not do that. Bake the full model but offset the mirrored site exactly 1 unit in the uvs.

Deleting half of the mesh changes your mesh normals, so when you weld back the mirrored section, you'll get a seam.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Yeah, do not do that. Bake the full model but offset the mirrored site exactly 1 unit in the uvs.

Deleting half of the mesh changes your mesh normals, so when you weld back the mirrored section, you'll get a seam.

Ha now I know why I could not fix the seam on my previous model... Thanks
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    EarthQuake wrote: »

Thanks for the tip, I'll try rebaking with that in mind!