Home Technical Talk

Floaters or Modeling better?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
okay so I recently have been hearing some different opinions on floaters. I recently modeled a jukebox and there were quite a few details on the back that I modeled in instead of using floaters. Why? because I thought it is more impressive than hiding from the fact that you can't model and compensating with floaters.
And the reason they were saying use floaters was because there was a lot of geometry if I didn't use floaters and the wires looked bad. I am interested in hearing other opinions.

Untitled-3.jpg

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're using the model to make a normal map, floaters save modeling time, no doubt about it. Only downside is it takes a bit more work to make an ambient occlusion pass, but it's still quite do-able.

Some info.
    http://wiki.polycount.net/Ambient_Occlusion_Map#FMP
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I completely agree that floaters save time. And I really love them for it. But if you have the time to model it, if it is for a portfolio, will floaters be looked down on?
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Man, i have my questions about this too...i think if ur gonna bake them into a normal map, it should be fine. But for a high rez model that will be on a movie, can u still use them there? i guess u would still need to bake into a texture, right?

To float or not to float!
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I float stuff all the time. Yeah it doesn't look as good, but if it's going to take waay too much time to model in, or get messy, than float it.

Also, if u float stuff, it makes it alot faster/easier to just remove some edge looks in your HP model and then you have your LP model ready to Unwrap.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think it reflects poorly on your modeling skills if you use floating geo, it just shows you know some time saving techniques :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    End result is all that matters, anyone who knows enough to be worthy of you caring of their opinion will know that using floaters well shows you have the technical knowhow to create good results while managing your time properly. Excessively complex meshes only show you're not very good at managing your time, or that you're OCD.

Modeling everything by hand does not make you a better artist, nor does it even guarantee you will make a better model! If you make the same model twice, both times using the exact same amount of time, the model where you can be creative and save time on small details is the model you'll be able to give extra loving where you really need to.

In a lot of cases, floaters offer not only time savings, but flexibly that you really do not get when you start cutting up your meshes and getting overly complex. When you start needing to do revisions, and do them quickly, you'll find that if you cut your mesh into a mess to add lots of details, you will struggle to make even basic changes, and may need to simply remodel the area to make the change. When you're using floats, a lot of the time you can modify the base shape much more quickly, and simply reposition your floaters to make any required changes.

Saying all this, there are a lot of things i do not bother using floaters with, with experience you'll learn what sort of things are natural, know when you're unlikely to need to change an area, and know when it just make sense(for the purpose of getting a good bake in some cases) not to. However, i probably do a few things with floaters that people would never expect you can even do as well, again it comes down to experience.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the reply guys! I think the answers helped me. Now I guess is it the same for a portfolio? Would you want to spend that time, or do you still want to save time?
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    If you're going to be showing the wires of your highpoly source models in your portfolio, I think it would be a strength to have some examples of both - the attentive lead looking at it will probably perceive this as a positive example of your knowing more than one technique.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    @ earthquake - awesome answer! thank you, sir!

@ JJ - i think u wanna show your employer that you can kick ass...so...perhaps using floaters is also theway to go. And yes, i know u wanna modeled everything, but dude! dont kill yourself trying to do get everything in there.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome! sorry if it seems like I am just not getting it. I am just a student trying to gain some knowledge on how my modeling will be perceived by professionals.
  • mayaterror
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is great to hear you guys saying they're OK - somehow it was drilled into me early on that a single-mesh model was superior to one made in pieces so I've always tried to focus on that. Only recently have I been taking a second look at "floaters" (just learned that's what you call it). It's WAY easier for certain things.

It totally blew my my mind when I was studying the UT2K4 characters in 3DS and discovered that they were constructed of "floaters" or element sub-objects - I always just assumed the big game company modelers did a unified mesh instead of an attached conglomeration of parts.

Anyway, threads like this are why Polycount is the straight poo.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    If you're using the model to make a normal map, floaters save modeling time, no doubt about it. Only downside is it takes a bit more work to make an ambient occlusion pass, but it's still quite do-able.

Some info.
    http://wiki.polycount.net/Ambient_Occlusion_Map#FMP

But can't you technically just use the normal map on the lowpoly to render the AO? I usually do it that way D:
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But then would it really be "rendering?" Using your Normal map to create an AO map is not a true Ambient Occlusion. Though it can create some nice fine shadows...
  • michi.be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    michi.be polycounter lvl 17
    If you are a student and want to learn or get some practice do the full modeling.
    If you are working on a deadline use floaters. :)
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    The wiki has been very helpful, but anybody know how to do it in maya?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How to bake occlusion in Maya?

Haven't tried it, but looks promising...
    http://www.game-artist.net/forums/vbarticles.php?do=article&articleid=17
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the link @Eric, but what if we have floating geometry to bake on?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In xnormal there is an option to disable backfaces when rendering ao, this fixes the "shadow around the floater" problem by about 95%, you'll still have to manually do a few tweaks, but in generally it saves a LOT of time. I think you can do similar things in max by disabling shadow casting and enabling backface culling on your floater object, by going to the object properties or something.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would guess you move the floaters to a distance greater than the Max_distance value, similar to how r_fletch_r explained here for the 3ds max mr method.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, you still want the floaters to self-occlude.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And they do. The max_distance is the ray distance from each pixel on each mesh face.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh i see what you're saying, adjusting the distance an object casts shadow? Still seems like simply disabling back-face shadow casting is a cleaner solution. As moving stuff around or relying on arbitrary numbers(floaters may be closer or farther away for instance) doesn't seem like a very quick way to do it on a complex mesh. Or am i still missing the point?

I though you meant putting your floaters outside of the ray cast so that they are missed entirely.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, max_distance is the shadow-casting distance. I guess if the mesh is really complicated, then sticking the floaters X units away might be troublesome. But the distance doesn't really matter, from the baker's POV. Just thinking aloud here, haven't played with any of this. Backface culling is a cool option too, whichever works best.