Home General Discussion

shattered horizon got an update

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Harry polycounter lvl 13
And they've totally broken a really awesome, unique game.
I dunno how many people play it here, but they added in all the typical FPS weapons, machinegun, railgun, smg, shotgun

And a grenade pistol?

railgun and machinegun btw, pretty much require you to be grounded or they're incredibly inaccurate. This sounds like a lame thing to bitch about, but SH's strong point is its full 3dimensional movement and floatyness... And they've added in weapons which oblige people to cling to a surface.

It feels totally different and a lot closer to your average crappy fps, plus the models are really half-assed.

pics:
http://shatteredhorizon.com/media/screenshots/weapon_ss_05032010.jpg
http://shatteredhorizon.com/media/screenshots/weapon_ss_05022010.jpg
http://shatteredhorizon.com/media/screenshots/weapon_ss_05042010.jpg
http://shatteredhorizon.com/media/screenshots/weapon_ss_04302010.jpg
http://shatteredhorizon.com/media/screenshots/weapon_ss_05012010.jpg
http://shatteredhorizon.com/media/screenshots/weapon_ss_05052010.jpg
http://shatteredhorizon.com/media/screenshots/weapon_ss_04292010.jpg
http://shatteredhorizon.com/media/screenshots/weapon_ss_04282010.jpg

Not only are the designs really plain and typical, but ingame there's noticable smoothing errors which players on this forum have probably already noticed.

It seems like a no brainer to me that such additions would totally destroy the game's style and turn it into something mediocre... Yet apparently the idea still got enough support for the devs to actually add it? Am I going insane or something? Like, is there any up-side to this whatsoever?

The reason I post here is because I figure the folk here are more interested in the design aspect and have a decent idea of what would and wouldn't work in a design, whereas places like the SH official forum or steam user forum is filled with retards who suggest death star maps and more guns and personal shields and ridiculous crap like that.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Shattered horizon is still on my "need to buy when its on sale on steam" list.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Is it really strange to imagine that the game probably hasn't performed as well as it could and they want to add wider market appeal? A lot of people want the typical FPS stuff.

The game looked really cool and fun when it came out but it didn't make me want to buy it. And this is probably why they are updating it. To get more people buying and playing.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    I have to agree, those guns are really really plain, and don't fit with the theme at all. They look like typical "20 years in the future" guns from any sci-fi shooter, not space based weaponry.

Did they add them in just to cater to their forum fans?
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well that's exactly why the stuff is being added, people want to have "moar gunz".

I played it once, when Steam had a free weekend going. I enjoyed it thoroughly, it took time to get accommodated to the movement, but a few games and you can already feel yourself more or less comfortable. Mastering of course takes much more time. I was dissapointed at first at the fact that there's only one gun, but soon enough I reliased that one single all-situational gun does the job sufficiently, and in fact makes the game depend more on the skill of maneuvering rather than being good with guns.

I sniped and was sniped across the entire map with zoom, so why the hell a railgun is being added? so you can snipe from so far away you're not even resolved on the screen? I'm a sniper type of guy but I don't see a point in this.

Pistols are redundant, when you have an assault rifle capable of doing everything you need.

Anyway, after I played the game I considered buying it for then-price 10.99 but I decided against because, frankly, I think I would stop playing it a week later. I didn't see much lasting fun with only a few maps. Which reminds me of something.

I would definitely buy the game, and I'm sure many more people would as well, if the game had any support for custom development. The zero-g core mechanic is there, your map possibilities are endless! For a short while after playing the game I even considered a mod for Source emulating the zero-g mechanic, but it wouldn't be the same.

/2cents
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    I still like the Raid on Moondust trailer they released. after they added the simulated weapon audio to the other trailers I kinda lost interest.
    you're right about those weapons, they look pretty generic
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    vcool wrote: »
    I would definitely buy the game, and I'm sure many more people would as well, if the game had any support for custom development. The zero-g core mechanic is there, your map possibilities are endless! For a short while after playing the game I even considered a mod for Source emulating the zero-g mechanic, but it wouldn't be the same.

This was something i agreed very very strongly with, until i saw how much community support there was for non-canon maps such as death star or babylon 5 crap. I'd love custom maps, but not as much as i'd hate having to play on non-canon maps which dont fit the theme just because people thought they were cool.
    I sniped and was sniped across the entire map with zoom, so why the hell a railgun is being added? so you can snipe from so far away you're not even resolved on the screen? I'm a sniper type of guy but I don't see a point in this.
    Same with grenade pistol and melee weapon. They've actually removed zoom, grenade and bayonet functionality from the rifle. So it's just BF2 with no vehicles and 3d movement now (though two classes require you to make only limited use of this 3d movement)
    Pistols are redundant, when you have an assault rifle capable of doing everything you need.
    I agree, however. If they added some kind of mission mode where you had to do indoors fighting, I think a pistol could be useful (let your rifle hang from the sling and move indoors sort of thing) and supercompact weapons make more sense than rifles espescially in space.

Frump wrote: »
    Is it really strange to imagine that the game probably hasn't performed as well as it could and they want to add wider market appeal? A lot of people want the typical FPS stuff.

Well i suppose i meant to ask, is there any up-side to this from a design viewpoint.
    dfacto wrote: »
    I have to agree, those guns are really really plain, and don't fit with the theme at all. They look like typical "20 years in the future" guns from any sci-fi shooter, not space based weaponry.
    Yep, this guy knows what i'm talking about.
    dfacto wrote: »
    Did they add them in just to cater to their forum fans?
    As far as I know, yes.

And i might sound like Stalin, but I'm growing more and more opposed to "open" community projects where additions and changes are done by popular vote. The few times i've seen this kind of development actually done, it always ends up adopting elements from whatever game is most popular at the time.
    aniceto wrote: »
    I still like the Raid on Moondust trailer they released. after they added the simulated weapon audio to the other trailers I kinda lost interest.

Yeah the simulated weapon audio sucks a little but it's tolerable. The first DLC was awesome as well, didn't break it stylistically
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From what I can tell, as everyone else has said, the moar gunz thing seems to be the reason.

Can servers turn these weapons off and just have the main one?
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    sicsided wrote: »
    From what I can tell, as everyone else has said, the moar gunz thing seems to be the reason.

Can servers turn these weapons off and just have the main one?

main one doesn't exist anymore, it's functionality has been cut down and split into the railgun, melee weapon and "grenade pistol"
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow... that sucks. Thought it was just 'add ons with no use'. Oh well, back to L4D2.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Am sad if this breaks game..
    Really wanted to purchase it.
    Probably still will. Though I may never know how great it was beforehand.
    Meh.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    the guns itself look good from the geo.. no smoothing problems I would notice while playing

but the textures...

ooooooooooooo .. noooooooooooo

edit: is there even AO baked in?!
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    Jeebus. Those are pretty damn bad...
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I like the style of the guns myself...maybe the textures are uninspiring but...

also, I always thought it very odd that the game had just the one weapon...a badly designed one, at that.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why not some kind of black hole creators.
    The models look like a episode of game art student gone wild.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    rollin wrote: »
    the guns itself look good from the geo.. no smoothing problems I would notice while playing

Have a look at the front of the pistol for the most obvious one
    I like the style of the guns myself...maybe the textures are uninspiring but...

also, I always thought it very odd that the game had just the one weapon...a badly designed one, at that.

I dunno if i could disagree more. I mean the original rifle wasnt perfect aesthetically but it was a lot better than these, and in terms of the rifle as a game mechanic, it was infinitely better
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1.) take pistol
    2.) paint white
    3.) add huge ass cube on front
    4.)?????
    5.) Profit!
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    I was thinking of picking this up soon too, does this effect the single player campaign?
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Isn't this update free? I got the game but lost interest quickly due to horrible hit detection and crazy lag nomatter the internet connection. I'll give it another go now. I do wish it was permanently soundless though.
    EDIT: Game still runs like shit, fuck it.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    I was thinking of picking this up soon too, does this effect the single player campaign?

no single player