Home Technical Talk

Distortion Map: Heat Haze???

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
BradMyers82 interpolator
Hey guys, asking for wisdom once again.

I have been asked to make Heat Haze Distortion Maps for a client, and I have no clue what a heat haze map looks like, what combination of textures I should have (is it like a normal, alpha, and diffuse?), and so forth.

Anyways, I think If I could just see textures that make a heat haze shader it would really allow me to understand what they are, or if anyone can break it down for me that would be really great.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    Pretty much just a normal map should do it. Start off with some simple blurry noise. a lot depends on the tech that they are using - can you preview your stuff in their engine or how will it work?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well wouldn't they be the best at providing you the examples? I'm confused.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    yeh, it's a bit of a stretch expecting you to guess as it is such a specifically implemented feature, usually. :)
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    Weird, I had the exact same request for a "distortion" texture to be used with a heat haze effect, and I also had no idea what to do.

So, it's just a normal map usually, to "bend" the air for the head haze effect?
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah - you can't really be expected to do good work without proper instructions. As yer client.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    I imagine it's going to be similar to a water effect, so you'll probably need a normal map, a Du/Dv map (for refraction) and a diffuse map. But yeah, you'll need more info from them for sure. There's probably a better way to do it these days, so take the above with a pinch of salt.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you to be writing the shader too? If not, I'd ask what they expect the input to be, probably a normal map likw cw mentioned. Just some repeatable rippley sort of image would work; but scale/frequency would really depend on the implementation.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    I imagine it's going to be similar to a water effect, so you'll probably need a normal map, a Du/Dv map (for refraction) and a diffuse map. But yeah, you'll need more info from them for sure. There's probably a better way to do it these days, so take the above with a pinch of salt.

could just be as simple as du/dv map for the uv offset on the frame but again depends on the tech. pesky clients! :D
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I added some more info here about DuDv maps, FWIW
    http://wiki.polycount.net/DuDv_Map
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate it.

Yeah, I figured it depended so much on the shader and engine that it would be difficult to find a straight answer. Basically my client has me focused on making guns and stuff, but every now and then has me do really technical stuff, and basically anything else that is top priority.

He asked that I just whip this Heat Haze texture up for him for testing purposes as the fx artist would not be available for a little while, and the coders really needed "something".

I think I do indeed understand now what you mean by putting all these responses together though, so thanks again!

EricChadwick: That is extremely helpful, thanks so much! I was gonna google DuDv maps, until you placed that link. Huge help there!

ThrottleKitty: Nope, not writing the shader, couldn't do it even if I wanted to, unless I could work out something with shaderfx (a hack for us non programmers).
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    glad you seam to have figured what it was they were asking, on a note i find a turbulent perlin noise overlayed twice at different scales and different speeds works a treat for the movement etc