Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ReptileWoman(Sculpt)

Hey everyone! This is a project for my advanced zBrush class. I was allowed to skip the intro class so this is my first real go at a full body sculpt. The goal for this class is to have a professional level, full body sculpt thats posed and textured. The goal for this model is a game ready, current gen character!

*Edit*
The face will be posed as well, She'll be kinda snarling with some badass fang action goin on :)
*/edit*

I am looking for any and all crits, comments, or suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

And a special thanks to Stoofoo for his online zbrush class test runs! Aside from that and the few weeks we've been in class, thats all the experience ive had up to now!

Concept(By Jess Havel):
4580492206_0b359c218f_o.jpg

Face:
4579853197_4d1821e37a_o.jpg
4580485098_d8e121ec72_o.jpg
4579853187_ff04bf57bd_o.jpg

Body:
4580485080_8925cf2de8_o.jpg
4579853147_5598e55dd6_o.jpg
4580485042_b592425d8e_o.jpg
4580525630_a384ff640d_o.jpg

I have the feet WIP as well, and i am currently scrapping the hands and redoing them.. they are giving me a ton of problems >.< I think i started out with a poor base mesh which kinda shot me in the foot in the first place..

Let me know what you think!

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    this doesn't scream Avatar at all...

anyway, don't move past level 2 until you've got the proportions and general shapes right. you're already on 5 or 6 and the basics just aren't there.
  • raul
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    yeah, the body feels weird. The tail is another spine, and right now you have it as a stub comming out of her lower back...Pretty weird...

since allmigthy_gir brougth up avatar....u should check out their characters and their proportions more closely and you will see that they are very well crafted. ( as far as anatomy goes )
  • comic_craig
    Quick list of things to look at/improve:
    Under the nose- where the nose meets the bow above the lip- nostrils deeper in Z, bow move forward.
    Neck- too think in the front along x-axis- looks manly
    Top lip- look at your drawing design- get the arches/correct curve (the curve of upper lip on your drawing bends up- model bends down)
    Hips- too low/saggy- raise and exaggerate the curve on the x at top of hip
    Back- there should be a small amount of space between the shoulder blades
    Stomach- make a slight indentation around the belly button- no muscle, but the silhouette should appear less saggy/gut like.

You can make most of these changes at a lower level while retaining any higher rez details. For some- keeping your model lower poly is easier to make proportional changes- and it keeps your from being tempted to focusing on detail when you should focus on proportion. I like working my model at a higher rez even at the beginning- but it requires you to lower the rez when making edits as I suggested above, avoiding adding HR detail until you are done squashing/stretching, and the forethought to know when its time to raise and lower the resolution as you work. The advantage of starting out High rez is some brushes work more similar to clay media at a higher rez.
  • AtlusZMH
    I find myself backing up in division levels often to tweak certain things.. should i just stick with the lower ones until they are 100% solid, or is it alright to go back and forth a good deal?

And as for the tail, i will try to add more of a solid base and see if i cant make it flow a bit with the spine :)

What proportions stick out to you guys the most for having problems?

Thanks!
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    why would a lizard have tits?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    So lizardmen can have fun too :)
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator