Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Applying to Ringling in a year--what should I work on?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
TH98 polycounter lvl 12
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this. In spite of the context it's pretty much a Posting My Stuff thread and P&P seemed like the best place for it.

I want to apply for a transfer to Ringling next January, but I get the impression they have a pretty high bar. And I would need their merit scholarship money if I don't want student loans on my back for the next 15 years.

Models:
21338.jpg
This was a little under 10,000 tris

B_52_by_theta_ix.jpg
I don't have a wireframe (:[) but it was for a <3000 tris exercise.

Plasma_SMG_by_theta_ix.jpg

testingmap0042.jpg
Viewmodel hand for a mod I'm working on.

nang_mudboxed.jpg
Character sculpt for said mod.

Drawings:
Her_name_is_Grace_by_theta_ix.jpg

alionz.jpg

Hero_Concept___Guns_by_theta_ix.jpg

figure_drawing_2_by_theta_ix.jpg

somebody_by_theta_ix.jpg

Animation:
I don't have any! And I don't know how big of a problem this is. :poly122:

I'm pretty concerned about where I'm at right now. So, where do I need to be? What should I focus on? Much thanks for anything you guys can tell me :]

Replies

• jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    the first thing I can point out right away is textures.. ya have some nice models in there but they should have all the typical diff, normal, and spec color/power.. perhaps emmisive if they need them.. you're life drawings are good, and your fantasy art is pretty sweet too.. i guess animations would only be completely necessary if you plan on applying to a school, or studio as an animator/animation (criteria).. although, displaying that you know a little bit of how to do it is always a plus.. but that would require to you create a reel. It will also be important for you put your game art in an engine, i.e. UDK, Source, w/e.. marmoset even, cause it's technically an in-game model preview.. other than that, good luck and I hope this helps ya
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d2king10 polycounter lvl 12
    To be honest with you, they really aren't that picky as long as you have the money to go there. I have a friend that got in a few years back with work that wasn't as good as yours here, and as far as I know he graduated and such.
  • Steen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steen polycounter lvl 16
    Your work looks good. I'm not sure what they look for these days, but back when I was applying for computer animation in '99 they wanted to see lots of drawing in your portfolio. That may be different now with the new majors they have there. I'm pretty sure there's some truth to what d2king10 is saying about being able to afford it. I personally think that what you are showing here would convey enough interest and aptitude to get in.

Pro tip: when you get in, work in the labs. The experience you get from working with your class mates is invaluable. Wish I'd done it more.