Home Technical Talk

Wacom Wriggle Problem

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
I did do a search for this but I didn't find the answer to my problems.

In a nut shell : my wacom Intuos3 tablet pen cursor is wriggling on the spot.

I did a simple picture to demonstrate what effect it is giving me;
30cub81.jpg

Okay so here is the back story;

I have recently moved to the USA from Australia with Haz, We both packed our tablets in our suitcases and brought them with us on the plane along with my laptop. They both worked fine in Australia but Now that I plug them into my laptop, both tablets and pens have the wiggle on.
I updated my drivers, swapped usb slots and tried to move it away from our modem. Still no change.

I have taken tablets overseas before via Air and there has been no problems.

So I was wondering if anyone has had a similar thing happen before?

Replies

• tokidokizenzen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tokidokizenzen polycounter lvl 17
    Check the voltage differences between that in Aus. and US. If it's different, get something that will simulate your Aus. voltage. This seems like the most logical reason.. Another thing you can try is bring your tablets to another office or home and see if it still does that.
  • larolaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9
    I'm sorry but it just looks like you just wiggled the lines yourself, there is no consistency at all.

Either that or you're jacked up on sugar :p
  • Divine Rage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I could've sworn I encountered a topic about this on the Wacom forums, can't find it now though. I'm positive that I've seen this issue mentioned before...
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    My wacoms middle mouse wheel stutters and jumps around. Only occurs on vista. *shrug* No idea what started it but it makes zooming in and out or viewing the web a pain in the ass a lot.

I wish you luck on figuring this one out because I looked around for a while and couldn't find anything on it. happens to every tablet I plug in.

My assumption would be it's software related.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    could be totally wrong.. but I seem to remember something like when a tablet was too close to a source of interference. Too close to a computer, monitor, speaker or something. Try moving your tablet away from everythign and see if it still happens. Are you setting the tablet right on top of the laptop keyboard?
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help everyone. Its been making me pull my hair out all day!

Jay: I am near a cable modem so I will test out unplugging my laptop and moving it to the far side of the house. Cheers. EDIT: That didnt work either :<

I used to have my tablet infront of my laptop and I'm too much of a hotkeywhore to put in on my laptop keyboard. :p

Toki: It still runs the same when I don't have my laptop plugged into the charger. :< I might try taking it to another station at work and seeing if it still wobbles.

Larolaro: hahah while I do like my sugar, I dont think it has an effect that bad on the tablet, unless my tablet is into eating sugar...
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can you borrow someone else's intuos pen and see if it has the same jitter issue?

it's possible that your pen somehow got screwed during transportation, but the tablet itself is fine.

also, try recalibrating your tablet, might help too.

upd. - a similar thread on conceptart, looks like it's the pen trouble.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh cheers for those links ikken! I'll give them a whirl for sure!

I have two tablets here and two pens, might be that they both got broken on the flight. If nothing seems to fix the problem I will have to call wacom.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    per, once again being oddly helpful and unhelpful at the same time (i had this problem a while back when too close to unshielded speaker cables, moved some stuff around and it went away).
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I had this issue on my Intuos (2?3?) a while ago, turned it it was the pot under the Right/Middle click button. I popped the button off and tightened the pot 1/4 turn clockwise and that fixed it.
  • tokidokizenzen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tokidokizenzen polycounter lvl 17
    It's not the power source on the laptop you need to be concerned about. It's the power source for the tablet.
  • lysaara
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lysaara polycounter lvl 9
    It's not the power source on the laptop you need to be concerned about. It's the power source for the tablet.
    The tablet draws straight off USB power, presumably that's standardised no matter what's going into your PSU.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well After some long correspondence with WACOM and them putting it down to a massive interference throughout the entire house (I hope it doesn't end up turning me into a nuclear zombie o_O) we decided to bring a tablet home from work to see if that worked.

It ended up being an intuos 4 tablet, not and intuos 3. It worked. So we bought ourselves a new Intuos 4 tablet and it works fine.

The old tablets DO work outside the house. They just dont like this house. Which is silly because its a perfectly good house :p

So problem solved via forking out money for a new intuos 4. :(:D
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electromagnetic Interference maybe?

The house probably has some unshielded wires running through the walls or under the floor. Maybe a big electrical breaker box in the center putting up a pretty big field. It's not dangerous or a fire hazard but it just makes a bunch of white noise for electronics. People can be sensitive to them too, they can cause nausea, headaches and fatigue.

I bet if you got your hands on a EMF meter for an few hours it go bat sh!t nuts around your house.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    perna wrote: »
    best joke of 2010 and nobody gave me props. You guys suck.
    We got it. Just wasn't good.:poly136::poly136:
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Poltergeists.. nuf said. :D