Home General Discussion

Art subject choices: fictional vs existing

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
Let me try and frame this;
a few times already, i've ran across quotes from art-directors and other people who decide about recruiting, where a negative attitude towards non-fictional, exisiting art subjects comes forward. I can't find exact quotes right away, but there where things like "I'm so tired of seeing guns modeled in 3D, if you wanna model a gun, at least pick something crazy and non-existing", "Why model a car? It looks just like any other car, you should try to stand out with something unique instead".

This sorta stuff bothers me. As if the subject matter chosen makes you less of an artist. Sure crates and barrels are boring, but they're talking about objects that are a whole lot more difficult in shape, proportions and materials. I think as an average 3D artist you shouldn't aspire too much to become a concept artist (too) unless you completely focus on it. So why obsessively bother with creating your own fictional stuff?

Heck, one thing I remembered from a concept artist friend, is that good (mechanical) design should look like it will work, like it really is viable and conceived by an engineer and that to be able to do this, you have to extensively study existing (mechanical) objects.

If you follow that train of thought, it even makes sense to at least model some exisiting objects, so you get a feel for their proportions, design elements and details.
I get the impression that an accurate and well made model of a real life subject is considered lesser quality by some people, than an equally well made (in terms of mesh, unwrap...) fictional design with wonky proportions and strange details. I'd see it the other way around; getting good accuracy shows that the artist knows his stuff and has actually transcended beyond merely mastering the tools. He understands that the correct proportions and details set his work apart at a higher quality standard.

Anyway, this is speaking from my perspective. About half of my portfolio stuff is self-designed, yet they look just like existing subjects so some people might not even be able to tell. Reading that my art doesn't count as much as when I'd model a pink and yellow rocket launcher that shoots jelly-beans or something equally retarded, bothers me.

How do you guys feel about this? Btw, don't hold back if you really believe stuff like mine is inferior, I'd like to hear why.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I hate seeing different people model the same popular pistols, rifles, guns, cars, and props, over and over again. I like seeing stuff that's different (existing or fictional), or based on realism and real guns, but with twists, or at least some personality added to it, like straps, tape, custom added parts, broken plastic bits, etc, etc.
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    Having a knowledge of what comes before informs how your art progresses, this is the same in all fields. One of the biggest issues to overcome in our profession is mastery of the tool set. I know when I open 3DS Max I could potentially make anything in the world (or out of it) but I need a framework to build from. This is of course going to be based in the real world. I know we make crates and guns and see the same ones over and over again, but its Racers AK one day then you can transfer that to future plasma blaster tomorrow.
  • Draffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're talking about concept art here (such as what your friend done). Well, the point of being a concept artist is to be imaginitive and come up with new designs, places, people etc etc. So if you're going for a job to be a concept artist, and your folio is made up of drawings of things that are already designed and exist. Then you're shooting yourself in the foot, since that's not what they're looking for.

If however you were going for a job as a modeller or a 2d artists in which all you needed to show off were technical skills, then i guess you can model as many M4 carbines as you can until your mouse laser drills a whole through your desk.
    Although keep in mind since every guy, girl and their pet dog is going to be modelling an m4 then you might end up blending into the crowd a little which could again be detrimental to your chances.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    haha i met so many ADs with the exact opposite oppinion, which in my case results in the exact opposite interperation as yours, copying stuff doesn't make you a better artist, it shows that you know the tools and can copy other peoples designs. Its always a matter of the point of view and both ways have to exist.
    I'm not going to do much hyperreal stuff, i highly doubt it, it bores me to death and its ok that there are others who like those things, so i don't have to do it.
    Don't hire me if you want me to do cars or realistic guns, there are others who like that crap and do it better, i don't see much sense in doing something like that.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Why not just make what you like making? Of course, if you make something fictional, you're presenting the viewer with both a concept and a model, instead of just a model, and that's neat for the viewer, but that shouldn't dictate what you do.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Zwebbie wrote: »
    Why not just make what you like making?

Well, if the point of your portfolio is to get a job, and you like making realistic guns but the only games studio near you is hiring an artist to do cartoony animals, then your portfolio is not going to get you that job providing you only just "make what you like making".

IMHO you should have a well-rounded portfolio as a job-seeker, since you never know what opportunities might be available if you don't.

Obviously if you're totally incapable of making cartoony animals, then you're not right for that role anyway, but if you had a portfolio showing your capabilities of handling a wide range of subject matter and styles, then you can fill pretty much any role. Anything else is just limiting yourself artificially.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Like Neox said, I heard the exact opposite from many AD also. They usually will tell you that while creating fictional stuff might be fun, but its hard to tell how good someone is when its completely fictional. I think this remains more true for characters though. Anyways, I get pretty bored at times doing realistic stuff, but if it helps my portfolio more, I'm all for it. Most of the time, I try to get a healthy mix of realistic and fictional whenever I can.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    MoP wrote: »
    Well, if the point of your portfolio is to get a job, and you like making realistic guns but the only games studio near you is hiring an artist to do cartoony animals, then your portfolio is not going to get you that job providing you only just "make what you like making".
    That isn't Xoliul's question, though, is it? I read it as being the difference between, if you want to apply for that studio you mention, making a cartoony elephant or a cartoony pink-spotted Gzorbl from Mars. And I'd imagine that with either you've got a better chance than the guy who has a portfolio full of guns, even if they're looking for fictional cartoon animals and that guy's guns happen to be fictional as well.

Not that I have any experience to speak of, but I'd hardly let ZacD's opinion refrain me from making an AK-47.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, the way I read it, either he's referring to Art Directors commenting on portfolios which contain nothing but realistic guns/cars/etc (in which case it's entirely reasonable to comment that their demonstrated artistic range is pretty poor), or he's actually quoting Art Directors who don't really know what they're talking about :)

I find it highly unlikely that any decent Art Director, upon seeing a varied and quality portfolio, will complain if there are a few real-world weapons/vehicles/items or whatever in there.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Would you rather have the person viewing your portfolio thinking, that's a good looking AK-47/M4/M16/SCAR (but not the best one I've seen) or that's the a really cool looking gun I don't think I've ever seen before.

Also if you modeled the same gun as another applicant, It'd be easier for them to compare which on is "better"

Not saying that it matters a whole lot, I just like seeing semi original stuff in portfolios. But I'm not your next boss.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it production art we're discussing or art in general? As far as I am concerned 3d artists aren't hired to do creative stuff and come up with ideas, they're hired to execute. If your portfolio convinces employer that you are good enough to execute his concepts and follow certain art direction, then I think it's all good...

If we're talking about art in general - then yes, subject matter and being creative is important. In traditional world, if you take mundane subject and render it realistically to death without any kind of personal touch it will hardly qualify as anything more than practice piece to sharpen skills.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Aren't all art directors just people hired by a particular company because they think along the same lines as the projects that company is producing?

At the end of the day, it would seam to me, that these opinions are going to be just as diverse as the projects and individuals you will find at the various studios around the world.

What this underscores is that you need to understand the mentality, and creative mindset, that any given studio employs to produce their project and then either modify your existing portfolio, or build one from scratch, that shows you understand this mindset.

ArenaNet, for example, is defiantly of the mindset that your concept has to be creative, they are a fantasy studio. Its a way of thinking that shuns the ordinary and embraces the extraordinary. They make fantasy games, they aren't going to appreciate non-fantasy work nearly as much.

Zipper, or Infinity Ward, on the other hand, produce a game set in the present day. I'm sure you will find the mindset there leans toward accurate, yet fun and believable, interpretations of the real world.

Ultimately, being creative is a desired skill, faithful replication and understanding a subject such as guns, is also a desired skill. Knowing which is more appreciated and in demand at a potential studio is very important when applying for a job.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds to me like some Art Directors are just tired of seeing 10,000 poly guns with 2000x2000+ textures that everyone has been making since the advent of Counter-Strike.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you are missing the point here.

If i build a character, it takes way more skill to make a human look realistic, while if id just pull it out of proportion, you would have nothing to comment about because it is fiction.

Building realistic things means limiting yourself to the amount of mistakes you can get away with.
    This also counts for style and the technical aspect of making it look good. I cannot just put fun strokes and stripes on it, or maybe dirt it up because its cool, it will make it look unrealistic.
    Realistic also means comparing, alot.. because getting things dead on is bloody hard to do.

I actualy like realistic because it gives me a massive challenge.
    Someone else might prefer fictional over realistic because it gives freedom and room for more creativity.

They are two different set of skills, and if someone would weigh my skills of comparing and making perfect vs creativity and making it look cool and say im wrong.. id walk away.

An art director needs to be able to see skill in both areas, and not just ramble away on preference.

//

Also, if i would make something fictional that does not excist, but i want to make you believe it does by adding the realistic touches, i need a base of skills in both areas, and you need to build things that come from reference.
    Only problem is, those skills come with experience,

If i would try and do it right away because i think fiction is cool, i would fail.
    So busting on some because hes learning or doing things from reference is pointless.
    Study first, then mix everything together.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    It all depends on the game you want to work on and the way the particular game development studio works.

If they are looking for someone who does part of the concepting and modeling on a game that contains a lot of fictional elements then not showing any concepting work in a portfolio is a bad thing.

If they have good conceptartists that give you all of the reference ready to go and you have a portfolio that shows great skills in modeling realistic things then i don't see anything that would make an AD not consider you for work.
    But if a guy that has the same skillset as you do walks in and also has some fictional stuff in his portfolio then you become a less preferable choice.

If you can put it in there as well (even if it's just one fictional piece) why wouldn't you?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rens, that's exactly how I feel. There's really a big challenge in creating realistic things, you have to watch every corner, every angle, every rounding of a surface has to be right. If I'd see a guy with a portfolio with M4's, AK's, but they're all extremely spot on, I'd know he'd have no trouble creating a plasmarifle or something from a decent concept.

And yeah the question of applying to a company does make sense here, I didn't mention it specifically but I was thinking about it. But that doesn't mean applying when it doesn't make sense. Someone like me wouldn't really apply at a place like Blizzard or Arenanet, rather at IW or any other place that suits one's "style" more.

Neox: i think you're an interesting example here, but don't you agree that before you go towards your kind of stylized designs, you need to understand realism? Also, you've made some realistic characters, right? i remember some babes and some chars for an RPG, do you see that as different? I know I'm going more towards guns and cars, but realistic is realistic. Although I know characters are kinda seen in a different light (subject doesn't really matter), hence why those quotes I gave don't really seem to pertain to them.

MoP: how do you feel this would go for a studio like Splash Damage, working on a game like Brink that is realistic (save for some freedom in characters proportions), yet has fictional designs? Would an art-director feel that an artist with well-executed, existing objects doesn't have enough to offer to the studio ?
  • catstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    master it all imo. in my experience so far, if you work hard at both, you'll improve faster, because the whole realistic vs. stylized approach is all linked in one way or another anyway
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Xoliul: The main thing that would concern me (although I'm not an Art Director and not involved in hiring process), if someone submitted a portfolio that was 100% real-world objects (not "realistic", the distinction here is important), then I'd be worried that if they were handed concept art which was fairly loose and sketchy, they wouldn't be able to inventively "fill in the blanks" with cool ideas.

This is something I think happens a lot in game art production anyway, where you might get some focused concept art and photo reference for key areas, a lot of environment/weapon/character modelling and texturing work will consist of actually being creative and coming up with stuff that fits the design and isn't necessarily based off any real-world stuff.

So you can see that if someone only demonstrates that they can accurately re-build something that already existed (usually meaning they dug up tons of specific photo references and / or blueprints, and the modelled exactly what they saw and nothing else), then you can't really judge their "artistic" ability, you can only judge how good they are at reproducing things that already exist when handed perfect reference images from all angles.

Now, I'm not saying that this is what you're doing (since you do have some "made up stuff" in your portfolio), but you can see why a better balance of more original / inventive and realistic stuff is probably the best way to go.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But isn't "filling in the blanks" on a loose concept also digging up a ton of photo reference, but then just picking the strongest and most interesting parts ? That last part being where the studying of existing objects pays off.
    That's what I did when i was told to model something vague without even a concept. Granted, they were al exisiting objects (containership, a bridge, that sort of enviro stuff), but I couldn't model one specificly, it had to stay generic yet recognisable. If it were something really crazy out of this world (I dunno, some crazy techno contraption or even some sort of alien object), I'd expect a (better) concept and would then go filling in the smaller blanks with applicable reference.

I'm realising it's getting down to reference usage here; we all agree reference is ever so important when doing our art, right? I'd think it's not such a big step anymore to go from using reference to recreate something exact, to mixing and matching the best parts out of similar reference?
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    i used to bust my brains making creative shit all day. then i went onto creating more realistic stuff.
    and fucking hell.. its hard, and an extremely slow process.
    but once you've trudged through all the realistic stuff, and let yourself free again, you'll have a lot larger creative toolset to work with, which will lend a whole new dimension to your work.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Not leaning either way here, but I can definitely see where MoP is coming from. My buddy was senior concept artist at a studio here, and a lot of the character artists kept coming to him and the AD, asking how exactly, to a T, the upper flap of this character's boot looked, etc. In other words, they didn't have the range of artistic vision (or confidence) to fill in the blanks. Now, whether this is due to slavishly modelling real-world objects, or simply being hand-held for the duration of their education is debatable, but that point still stands.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rens: So you think making something fictional makes it impossible to find fault with? I couldn't disagree more. You study existing things for inspiration and grounding in reality, and saying 'okay it looks like shit, but it's meant to' has never really worked well at Polycount.

Recreating existing things shows that you're a proficient 3d artist, though, and there is nothing wrong with that. And it can certainly be argued that a lot of fictional things are just mindless copies of other fictional things.

On the other hand, I think a lot of people on here would agree that that's far removed from the creative process.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What im saying is that building excisting things challenges you to use skills in another way.
    And these are sometimes overlooked or underapreciated.

Fictional also asks for one to apply other skills aswell.
    Here you challenge yourself to be creative at a whole other level.

Then there is Fictional realistic wich asks for both areas.
    Now i can instantly start doing this but it might be good to know something about lighting, shapes, or structure. If you do not take the time to figure that out you will get stuck at some point, you will think things look a sertain way and need more time to unlearn afterwards. To learn this, you might need excisting things.. On the other hand, you might limit yourself with the creative process and you need some more time to develop those skills.

The way i go around doing things. Is to first learn all basic elements and technical aspects by building alot of excisting. There are tons of info i learn from it everyday. With that knowledge i start applying those at fictional concepts and make them look realistic.

Now i know from previous posts that you are way against whatever, and deliver me a nice laugh now and then. So i wont even bother going into an arguement here with you.

They both ask for different trades, they both let someone develop themselfs in other ways and areas, and its silly to try and weighthat with eachother and say one is better then the other.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    isn't it like that:

concept -> model/texture

imo it is NOW unimportant what the concept is (real object or fantasy scifi whatever)

if you're able to recreate a concept you have indeed a very useful skill

but if your ALSO able to come up with some interesting concept stuff by your own (not the boring gun xy again), this is another very useful skill too

and imo that's it about this topic...

if you study real objects and real objects mechanics and through this you get better in one ore the other discipline described above this is great,

but this isn't something you can see out of a portfolio quite easy EXCEPT the artist has some great self invented stuff there that does look perfectly functional AND fresh and cool.

just to quote mop here who is saying basically the same :)
    MoP wrote: »
    (...)you can see why a better balance of more original / inventive and realistic stuff is probably the best way to go.