Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK Khzad Prototype

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
Hey polycounters!

So, I'm in my last year of school and have to make a demo or a part of a game in UDK. I have the next 6 months (including summer break) to complete this project. I am an artist and not a programmer, so my goal is to create mood and story, over interesting game play.

My main focus is concept art, so I'm going to be doing a simple and stylized visualization for my prototype. Inspirations were that of Yoshitaka Amano's 1001 Nights, Soul Reaver, Prince of Persia, Muramasa, Odin Sphere, as well as hundreds of photos from real life.

The game will be 2 1/2d, and will have a camera that will move with the character. There's a story that goes along with all of this, but I'm going to show that all off when I get to the voice acting and such. All the animations will be motion captured, and it will all be very simple lower poly (ps2, wii) models, along with hand painted textures.

Quick overview, its an limbo type underworld, everyone is dead. They all have halos to signify this. In the concepts, he will meet with an evil apparition, and I'm going to change the color of the halo to a violet red to show that he's bad. (to clear up early confusion.) I want the halo's to be the iconic imagery to represent my world. I love when they had this in dragon ball Z (even the bad guys had halos) But people in western culture would find this confusing and complain about it.

In addition the halo would be the "life gauge" instead of having a HUD, as it gets dimmer the less life you have left. (even though your dead lol, im sure i'll come up with what happens when you die...again)

So here are the concepts, as well as my early UDK screens. Nothing in UDK was made by me except for the terrain and sand texture. It's my first time in UDK, so im greyboxing with their assets to get a feel for my composition.

ART DUMP! (Please excuse some of the rushed artwork, I am on a time budget!)

2KhzadHeadSketches2.jpg
3KhzadBodyConcepts.jpg
4KhzadFINALconcept.jpg
5Apparition.jpg
6Wanderer.jpg
Environment1.jpg
Environment2.jpg
Environment3.jpg
Environment3.jpg
screen_001.jpg
screen_002.jpg
screen_003.jpg
screen_004.jpg

Replies

• Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty neat.

The first character is a bit too emo for my taste but I suppose being in a limbo type underworld would do that to you.

About the environments, I think they're a bit too dark overall right now. I could see the player getting lost or confused in them quite easily. Maybe go for desaturated but brighter colors rather than black everywhere to signify the negativity of the place. Or if you really want to go with black foreground objects against a brighter background then try to make your silhouettes very recognizable and less busy.

Keep posting as things progress.

This seems like a very ambitious project, good luck :)
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey ben!
    thanks for the advice! I definitely will have more lighting, as the character will have the halo following him around. I want to have that deep contrast, but that grass in the foreground is temporary. It will (hopefully) be much more recognizable!
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    btw lol@emo hahaha! I really wasn't intending for that to happen... oh well ;)
  • sculpter21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This stuff is looking good! I cant wait to see all of the character flushed out in game. Looks like you have your work cut out for you.
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hah! thanks! yeah, its going to be a lot of work, but I don't mess around, and it's like my big college project :)
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good so far. I agree on the lighting, you could probably play off the moons light for an overall boost in light and if it really does get rid of that eerie feel you were going for you can always have trees blocking the light in some areas.
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah im not too worried about the lighting as of yet, but i appreciate the advice t dawg :)