Home Technical Talk

What's the best way to compress and show technical videos in your website?

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
Hi guys, I've got a quite specific question: what's the best way to compress and embed TECHNICAL videos in your website?

What's different from this thread is I need to publish a number of short videos showing screen records of IC.Shape instruments. I'd like them to be as small as possible, of course.

I don't really want to use any external site like YouTube or Vimeo. I don't like to be there, bare with me. I just want to host them on my own web site.

I've tried JW Player and liked its functions and customization, but the major issue is the supported formats. It is Flash based and share all Flash limits. I loved the idea to play mp4 h264 videos, they're small and streaming friendly, BUT that format does seem to support YV12 4:2:0 color space only. It means that it doesn't like flat simple colors, like those in a modeling viewport. You can see the results here. Green is badly washed out and red is not good, while white is fine. Original recording was perfect.

In previous IC.Shape documentation I edited every video in Flash and published it as .swf. But I don't want to go through that pain again. Do you know of any viable solution? Thanks.

Replies