Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Building a Game - Pirate/Lost Civilization Adventure

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
Hey fellow polycounters, I open this thread because I'm with a team of students in game art and we hope to graduate this year, and we know we can get great feedback from you guys!

We're doing a game demo on UT3 PS3 version. I'll be showing the game in front of a jury made of professionals in June. So, to be precise we have one month and a half left before death/glory?!.

The game is a first person adventure (shooter) where two rival pirate bands do a treasure rush on a lost civilization island. One of the pirate band is stupid in everything (look, boat, clothes, etc..) and the other is made of snob guys but not that clever neither. Of course you play as the Stupid captain of the stupid.

That's for the wall of text, the gameplay will be very close to a tomb-raider minus climbing (we're a team of artists, not programmers) and quite linear due to our knowledge and the short timeframes.

Now let's speak technical with what we've done so far:

- 4/5 characters done
- 70% of the map is complete but we still have to make it look unique at some places.
- 0% on the two pirate boats
- 60-70% on all assets content

The map is divided into parts for the ease of level design, level building and ease of optimization. (PS3 dammit)

- The beach
- The ruins temple
- The ruins sacrifice room
- The waterfall pit
- The lava cave (undone atm)
- The Boss cave (undone atm)
- The Treasure cave

All of them separated with small parts of environment, of 50-100m each.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa2w2OHv7-4[/ame]

Be sure to watch the video in 720p! I'll be posting high res screenshots tonight, now I must continue work =)

I'm looking for critiques about everything and mainly lighting, and asset quality.

TLDR: Pirate game with stoupid people and treasures.

Replies

• Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Very impressive work! My favorite section is the ruins temple environment, for sure. Very nice lighting and ambiance to it. The beach looks nice but if you're really going for "playable game level" it lacks any visual landmarks a player could use to navigate the area. Putting a couple of large-ish statues here and there would address that problem as well as help tie it together thematically with the temple section.

If you're planning to include a flythrough like the youtube video as part of your presentation, I would recommend smoothing out and cleaning up the camera movements a lot. Right now they are extremely jarring and distracting. It looks like you are using interpmode Linear instead of Curve Auto. Use Curve Auto. You may have to wrangle it a bit to get it not to go crazy with inertia and swing far past your main keyframes, but linear interpolation on camera movements will never look good.
  • 3DK.P.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DK.P. polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with ZackF, the camera is extremely distracting right now. As for the environments, I really like the Temple and Cave sections. Could we by chance, have a look at the characters you have done? Awesome stuff so far though.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    that looks delicious :D

can we expect some breakdowns of stuff since those are always the most interesting part?
  • mkandersson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mkandersson polycounter lvl 7
    Very nice. Cant give any critique really. Beautiful environment
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really cool work!
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very impressive work! My favourite section is the ruins temple environment, for sure. Very nice lighting and ambiance to it. The beach looks nice but if you're really going for "playable game level" it lacks any visual landmarks a player could use to navigate the area. Putting a couple of large-ish statues here and there would address that problem as well as help tie it together thematically with the temple section.

@ZackF, thanks, means a lot to me after these two months of work. Yeah the problem you adress about the beach are need to be addressed, we are going to place the boats there and there'll be two. And when we have statues done it'll help for sure make that place less generic and empty looking ;)

@3DK.P.: The flytrhough is really made in a rush last morning to be able to show the map done trough a video quickly. It wont be in the game, but several smaller cutscene will. ;)

woogity, mkandersson, divi: many thanks =)

What sort of breakdown do you want?
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some screenshots/progress:

6c28fe576ccd2f4e6a3e9ad837e80.jpg

This place is still under progress (in fact all the map is) so feel free to give ideas on how to embelish places. I dont always find the ideas myself.

a8e3c33c209408bed88511ebf1341.jpg

Here a proper view of the waterfall pit. We have a broken woodplanks bridge on the way and a big dead tree scheduled on the right to help the player cross the hole.

0fffac4435a853bea1088e0123894.jpg

Here's the last caves entrance, it's a quickie made today, and it still looks very generic to me, we have statues on the way so I hope it'll enhance the place. Also I'm gonna have to work out the bit on the left where the tree trunk cuts the grass, maybe by adding some more dynamic grass there.

1e919d62ad08aecb0f546b451755e.jpg

And this is the first cave room (where the player has nothing to do but pass through). It's a crypt, quite symmetrical. The torches are place holders so are the flames. I made a bit of oldschool AO on the floor and ceiling using a glue texture (used everywhere in GTA4 for instance), it helps blend all the element together I think, since this is not UDK.

that's all for today, c&c appreciated.:)
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    I love the lighting in the final pic. However, try and make the torch cast some shadows on the wall, it looks like it's floating at the moment.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Very nice. One quick thing I noticed, consider broadening and softening the god rays in the waterfall area. Right now they look very sharp. Look at how the god rays (particularly the materials) are set up in UT3 maps so that it has a volumetric falloff.
  • g0th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    g0th triangle
    Nice work!
    The whole thing looks awesome and very polished. I really love the temple area, would be great to see some high res screens from that.

Good luck with the presentation, for what it's worth you impressed me :)
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's looking really nice. I love the shot of the waterfall, and the foliage looks great.

How did you go about modeling and texturing the cave? I'm working on a similar project at the moment and I'd love to hear your method.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Looking great! Not much else to say after these previous posts. Main suggestion I have is that if that cave room is a crypt you should add some dead bodies/coffins. Crypts usually have the coffins against the wall so in between those pillars up against the wall might be the best placement. Another tiny nitpick about the video is that the camera movement is very jagged. It's something I kept thinking about while watching when I should have been thinking about the environment.
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    how many are u in group(team) and what does what? I want to see what "you" have done.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Love the environment, looked more like Crysis then UT, both stylistically and technically. But the camera movements made me somewhat nauseous, and that's coming from someone that plays Mirror's Edge without the reticle.

As others said, it'd be very cool to see some breakdowns of the props and environments.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    palm trees need another loop in in the fronds atm they are a bit jaggy

also cover the base of those rocks in veg or make the blend into it small scree like stones the rock into rock doesnt work well...

and finally cover the bases of trees in veg or grass

really nice though
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beware, massive post!
    I love the lighting in the final pic. However, try and make the torch cast some shadows on the wall, it looks like it's floating at the moment.
    Yeah, good point,I'll need to turn those pilars lighting to lightmaps instead of vertex. And add some sort of socle that the torch enters in.
    Very nice. One quick thing I noticed, consider broadening and softening the god rays in the waterfall area. Right now they look very sharp. Look at how the god rays (particularly the materials) are set up in UT3 maps so that it has a volumetric falloff.
    Thanks, will look at how epic made it, that's a true problem like you say, when you enter the light ray and see the plane-tru-camera thing. The only thing I hope is that our PS3 bare to use volumetrics into our framerate budget.

I did some tests this morning (I dont own a ps3 with the game) and it's quite under 30fps on the beach, and nearly 60hz on every other places, so we're gonna have to optimize a lot more that place yet. :/

Also at the moment we're using per poly collisions as a result of my lazyness for almost all the terrain meshes, and we hope to see a significant gain in performance there, if one of you know about this, we'd rather be happy to know what we can expect.

Nice work!
    The whole thing looks awesome and very polished. I really love the temple area, would be great to see some high res screens from that.

Good luck with the presentation, for what it's worth you impressed me :)
    Thank you, but we're still far from the polishing we want to reach :) I'll try and post screenies of the ruins asap.;)
    How did you go about modeling and texturing the cave? I'm working on a similar project at the moment and I'd love to hear your method.
    For the tunnels I start with a spline, to define the shape of my tunnel, I then place that spline at its right place vertically, and when the shape is okay, I put a sweep modifier on it, in box or tube mode, disable banking, delete the unecessary faces if box mode, and extrude the edges to model a tube. In case you choosen the tube you only have to delete the borders and enjoy the already generated UVs that sweep does for you. All that's left is put some noise on the mesh starting from the top of the tunnel verts to the bottom using a soft selection, so that way your floor isnt spiky. UVs are done, maybe one or two relax and you're good to go ingame. Sometimes to catch more details from the noise I tend to smooth the mesh, put the noise, and then remove one loop out of two. Not sure if it really gives more details, but anyway, sometimes you have to chamfer some edges and move some verts to fix the randomness of the noise.

For the rooms like the crypt, I start by defining where my pillars are going to sit, and model the ground around them. When arrived to the borders, it's almost the same technique concerning the noise to make your mesh look like rocks. Except here you'll have to pelt your UVs

Rinse and repeat :)
    Looking great! Not much else to say after these previous posts. Main suggestion I have is that if that cave room is a crypt you should add some dead bodies/coffins. Crypts usually have the coffins against the wall so in between those pillars up against the wall might be the best placement. Another tiny nitpick about the video is that the camera movement is very jagged. It's something I kept thinking about while watching when I should have been thinking about the environment.
    Thanks' Yeah the camera is a bit horrible, but it was just for polycounters, it's my present :D

We have a cool skeleton on the way out of ZB that we'll be able to pose in any pose and some will lay ther ein the crypt. Also when those will be in, I'll adjust the lighting to make them pop a lil more in dark places.

@vofff: Almost everything in the video is from me except some objects like the mushrooms, ivy textures, crystals in the cave, and umh.. The others still have to catch up with me ! :D

@Snader: I'll try to do some

@SHEPEIRO: About the fronds, I guess you speak about the lower level of details models (it has 3 LOD). At close range the fronds have more than enough in my opinion (more would kill our beloved PS3 a tad faster).

About the rocks, you're spot on, I have to either glue those to the ground or spawn some veg around.

And thanks!
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I almost finished the map now, we're going to start polish things soon, such as collision and general gameplay in the rooms you have to play jump-pillars(R):poly142:

662c05886e2a82dc176e8b49c4c6f.jpg

Between last message and this one there's been multiple tests on the PS3 to optimize the game performance, and we're able to run everything around 60fps for ruins and cave places, the only place that is a tad lower is the beach where I'm fighting to stay over 30fps. Damn overdraw.

I've added a pass of ambient occlusion in almost all the rooms of the map, to give the shadowed areas some penumbra shadows + the usual AO use. Simplified shaders and that stuff.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    71d8bfa75a32a815a3aee96dae98a.jpgc01cf61a0ee8ca3e13d778c2dda4e.jpg5dda1dd02c4c2f2aef08789352ead.jpg

Still looking forward to crits !

There's a lot of pictures there with the lens flare but it's because I was drooling on the effect.

The pirate ships wont be played ingame I think. We will only do cutscenes on it.

And you may also notice less foliage in these last screenshots because I had to reduce the amount of it for performance reasons. Foliage rendering was taking up to 20ms at some places before.. And we can not afford that.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    wow, really nice, (like, amazing)
    what school is this for?
    and if you dont mind me asking, what are the restrictions on the ps3 that you are facing?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    ah didnt realise this is for consoles not pcs

i would consider polishing the sky a touch atm i its too saturated esp at the horizon and getting a bit more of a deeper cobalt blue higher up would be good
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    hey, nothing to crit just wanted to say it looks so good! Very very pretty!

Reminds me of Uncharted, the first one!

Congrats to the whole team :D
  • OzMa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow love the screens, very beautiful work :)
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Amazing work sir! :)
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    excellent envrioment art

shame there is no gameplay to see yet
  • 2000yearsoldman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2000yearsoldman polycounter lvl 13
    Good work.
    Is the ship done? I see the sails on the ship are kind plain.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Polycounters! Thanks for all the precious words during this thread !

Me and the rest of the group had a show in front of the professionals jury Wednesday. And we did pretty well. Out of us 4 we all got our diploma of game artist after a three years curriculum.

Here's a bit shortened video of what we did show then:

http://vimeo.com/12871700

Watch in HD ;) (I don't know how to embed here, maybe it only works with youtube)..

Maybe I'll post my own post-mortem and some individual assets screenshots if you people want them.

And now, we're ready for job hunt!!
  • zxcman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zxcman polycounter lvl 10
    absolutely great work!
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like real proffesional work to me.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Wow! Amazing! Beautiful colors and feel, the foliage feels natural, and the textures are just spot on gorgeous. Blew me away!
  • LlamaJuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaJuice polycounter lvl 11
    Haha was that a little stab at Full Sail University in there?

Anyhow, looks great aside from some weird animation stuff you have going on. The environments all look phenominal, really nice work sir.