Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Duke Nukem Pistol

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Tea Monster polycounter lvl 14
Hey, I'm making a model based on the pistol sprite from Duke Nukem 3D.

I'm going to be baking normals and all that cool stuff.

The problem is that the original sprite is really poor on detail, and suffers from the fact that it was drawn, so that it looks different in each frame, so its a bitch to get one model that holds to each frame of the original animation.

Plus, I want to keep it fairly faithfull to the original sprites, but I want it to look cool and modern and to fit in nicely in the old portfolio. So I've chosen a 'real' weapon, a Glock, to base realistic detail on. It sort of looks like they chose a Glock to base the sprite off of - sort of!

So, I've got the original sprite, modelled a mesh that seems to fit in nicely with most of the different views. Can anyone give it a crit or suggest different stuff I could fit in and have have the same 'feel' as the original sprite?

Original sprite view of the gun:

duke-nukem-3d_a2z.jpg
tiresLRG.jpg

The mesh I made:. Ignore the ejection chamber as it's still mirrored.
dukepistol_001.jpg
dukepistol_002.jpg

A shot of the Glock:
glock18_basicright.jpg

Replies

• mkandersson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mkandersson polycounter lvl 7
    Duke Nukem brings back good memories. :) Nice gun!
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    I think the trigger guard would look better if it were less Glock-like. Also, you've got some weird issue with your frame- there's like a hard edge going all along the front/bottom of it.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    the back of the handle is wrong. the rest is great! Did you already add all the support edges? Some parts look real choppy.
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits! Yeah, I had a few hard edges in there. I've done a lot of work to sort them out and get the general level up a bit. I've rre-built the front of the barrel and heavily modified the back of the hand grip/base. The ejection chamber is done now.

I've posted some wires so you can take a look at how its held together.

Thanks again!

dukepistol_003.jpg
    dukepistol_004.jpg
    dukepistol_006.jpg
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    it looks nice but i think the proportions of it don't look the same, which is imo important because duke's pistol is so iconic.
    The proportions of the default one are actually totally fucked up, but it's kind of the key to its look.

crapp.jpg

It doesn't help that the two sprites seem to change their look slightly. But I would suggest making yours wider in general would help it to look right in the "idle" pose
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Pretty sure Duke's pistol was based off a Hi-Point.

hi_p_48302.jpg
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good thing it was only based on a Hi-Point... gah... such terrible pistols. They make good rifles though.

I'd have to agree about the proportions as well. Keep up the good work though.
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi-Point? Heck, it does look like that. I'd never seen one of those before. It explains the shortish proportions. I've been working against a Glock to get some proportions, but the Hi-Point does look much more like it's real-life inspiration. Thanks!

That's one of the problems I've had. If you check out the two views, you can see that the detail changes from sprite to sprite. In the side-on shot, there is a a hexagon-like form on the front of the barrel. In the end view, its mutated to some kind of sheild-looking thing. So I've got to strike a medium between them all that looks right.

Thank you for the help and the crits. I'll get back to rebuilding the front end and I'll post when I've got some progress.

Thanks again, it's really helped!
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, Just to see what you think. I've adjusted a fair few things. There is still a lot to do, but I spotted some stuff on the sprite and re-built a lot of stuff.

I've got to re-do the laser-sight, but I think I'm getting on the right track. I'm going to have to make a decision on which view to stay faithful to as the two sprites are not matching up very well (check out the perspective errors on the back of the slide in the side-long shot).

PISTOLCOMPARE1.jpg
    PISTOLCOMPARE2.jpg
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    you could probably interpret "weird deck thing" as part of a grip safety running down the back of the grip
    I only say this cause I can't think of any other mechanical explanation for it
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Turn on perspective in your viewport man, or set the FOV bigger. It looks really strange like this.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Beavertail, its there to keep the slide from chomping on the skin/meat between your thumb and forefinger.

solid progress btw.

Edit: I tried to look for a laser sight ref for you, but couldn't find anything like what is shown, closest was
    This

Though, maybe something like this?
    Granted they aren't close to the sprite though.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    Beavertail, its there to keep the slide from chomping on the skin/meat between your thumb and forefinger.

solid progress btw.

yeah.. but theres no reason for it to be manufactured as a separate part (more parts = more fasteners = more money which you usually don't spend on manufacturing unless the component has some purpouse, and there's nothing aesthetically pleasing about it)
    Hence beavertails are usually just part of the frame.

But yeah, its a fictitious pistol, the details will mostly be mishmash. I was only trying to offer a plausible explanation for the purpouse of that feature
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    I agree. The highpoint has its beavertail as part of the frame, its noticeable, and as far as the sprite's interpretation, I think thats just one of those pixelation discoloration moments.

But yeah, though I'd be terrified of that grip saftey...but then again, its duke nukem's gun. Its meant to be intimidating.
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm thinking that as well for the grip safety, that on every other pistol I've ever seen, that it's part and parcel of the main grip or body. I think I'm going to blend it back in. That deck though is very strange. The problem I have had previously was to make it like a real pistol and match it up that way. I should just accept that its a sprite and leave it at that!

Thanks for the info on the laser-sight. I've made the one I've got look more like (one of) the sprite(s). I'll blend the grip safety back in and post some screens later today.

Thanks again for all the feedback!
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, here are the screens. What do you think? I've tried to get a good balance between the two different sprites. So the rivets on the laser site look wimpy on the main view, but look like basketballs on the side view - meh!

PISTOLCOMPARE4.jpg
    PISTOLCOMPARE3.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Looks pretty good proportionwise. I'd just make the beavertail (thx for teaching me a word) more square and make that hexagon shape at the front a bit bigger.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup. I think what you're seeing with the bolts on the raised shape at the front is that they're inset, instead of protruding. They're catching the light when the pistol is tilted, but when you're looking almost directly across them not much is visible.

I'm liking it, though. Looking good. :)
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys.

Update. I think this is pretty much it. Unless anyone has any show-stoppers, I'll start on the low poly.

dukepistol_006-1.jpg
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Pop the bevels on the nuke symbol some more - the fact that its barely legible right now means you're going to get a really shit bake out of it.
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, will do.
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    can you show more views? like front view and things like that? i always wanted to see how this pistol looked like from other angles =)
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll post some different views of the pistol I've created. You only really see the gun 'properly' in the heads up view. There is a sprite that you see for the 'pick-up' item, but this is all you get in the way of info!

dukegunsprite.jpg

It dosen't even look like the other views of the gun that you see from the shooters perspective. So I've had to model the front on other weapons I've seen. Mostly it's based off of a Glock, with some bits of 1911 pistol, but I've had to pretty much wing it.

pistol2.jpg
    pistolfront.jpg
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I've got my low-poly done. This will be my most complicated bake. Anyone see any problems with the low poly?

dukepistol_009_lp.jpg
    dukepistol_010_lp.jpg

Here it is triangulated (shaved a few polys off the the handle on this one)

Currently stands at 3290 tris. This is for the HUD version. I'm figuring that a lot of that will get lost when the stuff you won't see from the HUD viewpoint gets removed. I'll have to really pare it down for the pick-up version.

dukepistol_011_lp.jpg
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Cool stuff! but O M G show pics in perspective. PLEASE :)

oh... and watch out for the crazy triangulation pinching going on at the front. Better off just removing the middle edgeloop, and having the lines go straight across horizontally. Same for the back. There's quite a few edges that just cut across flat geometry, could lower the polycount a bit yet.
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, I'm just used to modelling in Ortho. I'll perspectiv-ise my future shots!

I thought the radial stuff at the front wouldn't matter too much on the low poly (it's a BIIIIGGGG no-no in sub-d). If it's going to cause problems, I'll change it.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I wouldn't have all those crazy triangles bunching together at the front and back...best just cut across the face instead of having triangles. Doesn't really matter poly-wise, FPS guns have so many tris to them these days...
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. I was going to ask about poly counts. I could trim some by removing the chamfers on the trigger guard, but I don't know if the polycount is standard for an FPS nowadays.
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got the bake done. There are some issues that I have to address with it (seams and some overbake) but generally, I think it turned out pretty well.

Texture is just a place-holder.

dukepistol_014_lp.jpg
    dukepistol_015_lp.jpg

dukepistol_013_lp.jpg
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    damn, nicely done. I think all the extra effort and detective work has paid off--once you get the materials right (which should be a relatively simple affair compared to waht you've already done), this will look about as perfect as can be. And that's a a feat, since as you've showed us, even the original pistol sprites don't exactly agree all the time. Wanted to say it's been wonderful to watch this thread. A real labor of love.
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    You could normal map waaaay more parts than you are now, that' isn't going to be fun to bake as is.
  • dang87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dang87 polycounter lvl 12
    Looking good! There's a few parts here and there that break the illusion of looking like the hi poly but pretty impressive! :D
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    just out of interest, did you bake it in blender?
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would add some more loops to the back of the pistol grip - right now the silhouette has some noticeable jaggedness to it.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Most parts look nice, but the flashlight/laser is painfully lowpoly.
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Actually yeah, Snader is right... taking another look at it, you could probably double the number of sides on the large cylindrical shapes. Looking pretty nice though :D
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Looking good! you nailed the Duke nukem pistol feeling even if it was not easy it ended very true to the original one,
    There are some Smoothing errors here and there so take care of those and the rest is pretty much done ^^
    Apart from that I cant wait to see it fully textured and finished ;)
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, Thanks everyone!

I'll work on the cylindrical parts and the grip and get them higher poly. My wife says the laser sight looked like a toy anyway, so I'll simplify the design.

Harry - No I didn't bake it in Blender. You can get some decent bakes in Blender, but I just prefer using X-Normal. You don't have to arse around with flipping channels all the time either.

CJE - Which parts did you mean? Are you talking about the slots on the slide? I've got some problems with the bake (on the top, between the slots on the slide), I was going to fix it in Photoshop. If you can shed some light on making it easier, it would be appreciated.

Oh, and on the subject of Pollys, its at 3,200 at the moment, without the new and improved barrel and laser. I'm going to loose a fair bit of that as I'll be removing all the unseen pollys for the HUD view. I was going to pare it down even further for the pick-up version (remove the slide slots etc.).
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, fixed some stuff, got smooth groups (kind of) working, redesigned the laser to make it appear more high-poly.

I'm kind of new to smooth groups, how do you get rid of those little wrinkly seams where they join (I'm using X-Normal for rendering).

dukepistol_020_lp.jpg
    dukepistol_019_lp.jpg
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Re-reworked the smooth groups after a lot of trial and error. Got some stuff to fix here and there, but started texturing.

dukepistol_021_lp.jpg
    dukepistol_022_lp.jpg
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I keep examining the model and seeing stuff that is wrong, lurking in other threads and coming back and fixing stuff.

Found a weird thing, The previous shots looked all glossy, I examined my spec map and couldn't find anything wrong. I dumped the PNG and brought it in as a TGA and it fixed all manner of ills :poly142: I'm using X-Normal for rendering.

OK, getting to what I think as near done. Any crits at this point would be much appreciated.

I've got some issues on the front of the barrel and the laser which could be either smooth group problems or normal map problems, I'll have to get them sorted out.

At this point, I just want some input on where to go next, as this is as close as I've got to where I want to be.

dukepistol_024_lp.jpg
    dukepistol_023_lp.jpg
    dukepistol_025_lp.jpg

Here is the normal map. It looks 'flatter' than the previous bakes I've done, but generally, the overall effect looks much better on the render.
    dukepistol_NORM_web.jpg
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    it all looks the same which i think is the problem give the top bit that slides (excuse my lack of gun knowledge) a darker shade of metal

add some more variation in the colours - evven if it means deviating from the concept a bit
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm. I'll try that. Thanks.
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, I promise not to bug you guys anymore about this one. There are a few more bits and peices to sort out, but I know where to look and I'll track them down and smite them.

Can I ask a few pointers about the slide? Specifically about smooth groups. What would be the best way to do this? By outlining each slot separately, or by putting bands around the whole thing at each 'notch'? I've tried several different ways and I keep getting all sorts of artifacts. Any help would be appreciated.

New colour scheme (and 8 Monkeys renderer! :D )
    dukepistol_036.jpg
    dukepistol_035.jpg
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    Make the slide grooves separate smoothing groups. ATM it looks like you have a bunch of awful smoothing errors all around them.
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I fixed a lot of them. Thanks for that one, it worked a treat!

Here are my pics from Marmoset and a skin shot :poly122:

dukepistol_040.jpg
    dukepistol_039.jpg

dukepistol_041.jpg

I think that is pretty much it for this one. I'm kind of amazed at how I thought it was really good at the start and how with everyone's help, it got so much better! Thanks to all who have helped me out with this one.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A few things that immediately stood out to me:
    Your normalmap look inverted. Look at the grip detail and the '9mm' text. I think you'll need to flip that layer's green or red channel. Maybe both, but it doesn't look like it.
    Your normalmap also seems to be useless. There are only a handfull of place I can see it doing it's job, and even there it's not doing much. All I see is lowpoly shading and smoothing-errors. You may not be aware of this, but normalmaps can do a LOT more than what you're seeing here, and a little bit of studying could make this look 100x times better.
    The earlier shots at the top of this page were much better, and I'm curious to know what happened between then and now. You started playing around with smoothing groups, but really those are only important in normalmapped assets for fixing smoothing errors, not to give it hard shading.
    Also, and maybe I missed a post that explains this, but are you using different uv-sets for your diffuse and normals?
    They don't line up at all!
    edit: no, that's just me being stupid. it's a cutaway, I get it now.
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What happened is I used smooth groups to fix some issues on the top of the slide, and I basically took it too far (I think). Here is my first normal map and the second one after separating some edges to fix smoothing errors. It looks much flatter.

First bake, much more 'rounded' looking.
    dukepistol_043_norm2.jpg

Second one, after 'fixing' smoothing errors, much flatter (note the round ends of the laser sight in the top right corner).

dukepistol_042_norm1.jpg

I'm going back and checking my cage for errors.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What your normalmap looks like doesn't really matter, though. It's true that for a smoothed model you'll have a lot more gradients, but aside from ease of texturing (fixing artifacts in the second texture would be a lot easier, for instance) it really doesn't matter.
    No, what I think the problem is in these latest shots is a flipped colour-channel (going by how it looks I'd say green). Maybe there's more going on here, but without seeing a picture of it flipped I couldn't say. Could you post one, so we can then see if that fixes everything?

You could also post your model and textures for us to take a look at, ofcourse. Looking at your normalmaps, I'm surprised at some of the gradients, and I wonder if those couldn't be a sign of another problem. The diamond-shaped parts on the top right for instance, those look like they're countering some pretty severe smoothing errors.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Personally I don't think the two-tone look is the right direction; I would paint the whole pistol as if it were a glock, reserving a few interesting metal highlights on the laser mount, pushing a more subtle contrast between the slide and the frame.

What it looks like to me is that you're now texturing the pistol without a decent understanding of what pistols look like, in terms of wear and tear. Color is off, small detail is off. Spend more time looking at the highest resolution images you can find of Glocks and the like.

for Glock pics: http://www.pixagogo.com/2727774179 (bookmark this overall site too)

2n9j0x3.jpg
    notice that even with a pistol that is nominally one color, it's not at all in practice. So there's your "two-tone" right there--you should be able to push the color/material read between the metal slide and the polymer frame. There's a faint warm gray to the slide color, whereas the polymer is cooler.

Sorry I'm not really in a position to help troubleshoot your normal-mapping woes--I'll be there along with you shortly however :)

But keep it up! This is still one of my favorite topics to watch develop.

edit: also meant to link a few of Racer's tutorials, seemed like they might be useful if you haven't already seen them: http://racer445.com/