Home General Discussion

How important are HP models to you in a portfolio?

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
Ok
so this is an odd question I guess. To start with the obvious answer is very important, they are of course a necessary part of production now.
BUT
Is it not the end result and speed that's the most important thing to a studio?

HP models are really only good for other artists to sit in a circle around. (though I guess it's other artists that are going to view your portfolio.)

I guess the reason I ask is that I feel I can do HP modelling alright enough, it's not like I'm trying to avoid it, it's just certain workflows work better for me and are more time efficient.

For example, breaking down an asset in to modular chunks and baking seperately to a tex page and then arranging all that in a model. It's counter-productive to re-assemble a complete HP model from that (although immediately possible) but presenting a batch of smaller, HP elements is not as attractive as one whole with a nice render.

but then

who cares if the end product profits from that workflow and is done quicker, with much more scope for re-use in different assets?

It's a tough one for me. Sorry about the stream of consciousness.

Thoughts?

And a final disclaimer is I completely acknowledge the need for a good HP before any troll faces get up inside this piece and throw around unneeded statements.

Replies

• ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    double post
    worth noting that this is geared towards environments and props. Characters are a different beast imo and a good, complete, high detail source mesh is probably the best thing to do.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    didn't you just answer your own question, mate?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its as simple as this, the better your present your work, the better your present yourself. Sure some assets would be a little tougher to compile into a presentable scene, but honestly, don't slack it off when it comes to presenting yourself, what do you really gain? Is a few minutes or even an hour or two of your time worth not getting that job?

Now, if you want to know weather it is important to even create highpoly models in the first place, YES. Any noob can throw a crazybumped normal map on a simple mesh and call it done, but to set yourself out from the crowd you need to show not just that you can do highpolys and bakes, but that you can do the exceptionally well. There may be times in production that you can get away with just converting a bump to normals on really unimportant assets or in a serious time crunch, but for something like your portfolio you should never do this(unless its a simple tiling enviro texture, which would be counter productive to make a HP for).
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    I believe creating a high poly is crucial part in finishings ones piece. If done rigth it can cut back on a lot of later woek. And it also showcases disciplines, speed and the abilities of an artist. Its all about the details.

I'm a softimage user. I hate exploding my meshes! I think is a very time consuming task having to explode a mesh and going to the process of assembling the different maps that were baked out. So I avoid that hassle by using max and its material id capabilities. Again this is an example of showcasing the different skills that make you suitable for any job.

The other thing is I worked at a movie studio for 2 years. Were assests were crated in matter of hours. The only thing that mattered was the end result. Well......the end result was always good. But if I had been giving the amount of time given with a game piece things would have looked tons better. In my last months there, I requested 1 week instead of 2 days for avarage modeling time. Dude almost had a heartattack....lol....

Again the high poly is about showing skills and discipline.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there's no debate that high poly source is needed
    that's not the question.

I guess your right about the presentation, that's all it is really. I'm more wondering about production assets, not so much portfolio based stuff

its a reasonable question. Just throwing it open for discussion, as I was only wondering.

Edit:
    thanks Raul, thats the kind of input I was after.
    I believe creating a high poly is crucial part in finishings ones piece. If done rigth it can cut back on a lot of later woek. And it also showcases disciplines, speed and the abilities of an artist. Its all about the details.
    That's what I'm talking about. It can be faster to build the chunks and bake them to cut out alot of work, get more variations done faster and produce high quality work with flexibility. Can't see why that would be a bad thing.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For a production asset, do not waste time making pretty scenes and rendering shit, unless there is another use for it(promotional material, or portfolio material that has been OK'd but even this is best done off of work time). Final result is all that matters here, i cringe whenever i see someone post a WIP model on polycount with a global illumination render, its like they must have spent the same amount of time rendering that as actually working on it.

If you've got a fast render setup(a couple minutes) doing a quick render of your stuff before handing it off to the AD for approval can be a good idea. Really, you can do pretty great presentation of a HP model in realtime, so doing long renders is just a waste of time.
    Edit:
    thanks Raul, thats the kind of input I was after.
    That's what I'm talking about. It can be faster to build the chunks and bake them to cut out alot of work, get more variations done faster and produce high quality work with flexibility. Can't see why that would be a bad thing.

When you're talking modular environment stuff, building modular, creating variations in the lowpoly(without new high) variations in the texturing process, leaving sections entirely to textures(like a flat concrete wall, no need for HP here). These are all very good things to do.

When you're dealing with more unique thing like weapons, items, vehicles etc, its a lot harder to use the same tricks, generally you'll be able to mirror or instance a few parts, but the concepts usually dictate unique construction here.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    I'm curious about this topic as well, I'm glad you posted it. At my job we didn't do high poly bakes for pretty much anything, our lighting and normal maps didn't mesh well so we couldn't get good results even if we wanted to. But for portfolio stuff I'm always doing full high poly stuff which is definitely slower than the quick and dirty way.

So I'm curious to see how studios that use high poly modeling in the production workflow incorporate it. You look at a game like ut3 where everything is HP and their workflow is built around it. Then you look at a game like Just Cause 2, which looks great, but everything has hard edges and nothing was made with HP. The types of games aren't comparable, which explains the differences in workflow, but where the line is drawn is interesting to examine.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    none of the games ive worked on had any highpoly work done for their environment stuff. I was beginning to think it was a Vancouver thing seeing as most people transitioned from EA to startups at the turn of the whole "next-gen" era, and continued to do things the way they were familiar with.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    there's no debate that high poly source is needed
    that's not the question.

Really? I must be misreading the thread title.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blenderhead: You are.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    i cringe whenever i see someone post a WIP model on polycount with a global illumination render, its like they must have spent the same amount of time rendering that as actually working on it.

Thats an interesting point for me. Personally i allways render with GI on. I have a 1 click setup that gives me a material, HDRI and lights with no effort what so ever. To think its putting people off my work is pretty mind bending. I allways figured it would be positive as it often helps define the form nicely and makes the small details punchier. I have to say the public relations side of the internet is hella confusing

Would it be safe to say you mean, nice lighting trying to make up for a crap model.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    For example, breaking down an asset in to modular chunks and baking seperately to a tex page and then arranging all that in a model. It's counter-productive to re-assemble a complete HP model from that (although immediately possible) but presenting a batch of smaller, HP elements is not as attractive as one whole with a nice render.

HP model does not necessarily have to be a complete models. no one is stopping you from showing those modular chunks of high poly. it would be like a construction image that shows how you made the normal map.
    with some good presentation you could actually illustrate how you combined all the different modular high poly chunks to get the final normal map you have. this would work more to your advantage since it would show you are working smart.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Thats an interesting point for me. Personally i allways render with GI on. I have a 1 click setup that gives me a material, HDRI and lights with no effort what so ever. To think its putting people off my work is pretty mind bending. I allways figured it would be positive as it often helps define the form nicely and makes the small details punchier. I have to say the public relations side of the internet is hella confusing

Would it be safe to say you mean, nice lighting trying to make up for a crap model.

No, thats not what i mean, i mean doing a 2 hour render to show off a model you've spent 2 hours working on! There are much better render solutions out there these days, so maybe this is less. If you've got a fancy render setup that takes a few minutes, thats can be a really cool thing, but spending hours rendering for wip models is just silly.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    No, thats not what i mean, i mean doing a 2 hour render to show off a model you've spent 2 hours working on! There are much better render solutions out there these days, so maybe this is less. If you've got a fancy render setup that takes a few minutes, thats can be a really cool thing, but spending hours rendering for wip models is just silly.

gotcha, guess thats common sense. cheers.