Home General Discussion

Arizona's new immigration law

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Yeah honestly i think the whole thing is retarded, and that the end result of this is going to hurt the economy of Arizona even more than it already is. Well, the magic of a multi-state system, do not move to arizona!

But still, i dont think its a good idea to not have any sort of ID on yourself, i mean you're free to do it, but what is the big deal here? Do you guys often stroll around downtown naked without your wallets?
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Do you guys often stroll around downtown naked without your wallets?

I at least wear a belt
  • Master_v12
    I was an illegal once... Thank you Bill Clinton!

I lived in Arizona once... a lot of people from California escaping the 3rd strike

I was born and raised in a city currently torn by a drug war... closing in on 5000 deaths since January 08, gotta thank the druggies in the US keeping my city as one of the most dangerous in the world

The world is a fucked up place... Arizona is just a little more fucked up then other places

AZ.jpg
  • easterislandnick
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    Right then, how is a country founded on immigration and screwing over the natural indigenous population so amazingly scarred of immigration? Lot's of Americans are so proud of their heritage, pronouncing themselves as Irish or Dutch or whatever but then are freaking out over other migrants? I know that it's not as simple as that but it's something to think about!

As a side note, only been to America once, but loved it so I am not bashing the USA. I stayed in Austin for a while, we drove down to Del Rio and crossed over to Mexico via the bridge, coming back at night it broke my heart to see all the migrants camping on the bank of the Rio Grande, it's a sad way to live your life. It's easy to think of migrants as not real people, just statistics but seeing them there really brought it home to me. We are having similar discussions in the UK where LEGAL immigration is the hot topic, especially from Eastern Europe. We are getting ID cards here too and I hate the idea of it.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    As my dad pointed out to me, your all forgetting conventions that bring people in from outside of the US. I don't know about you, but when i travel i sure as fuck don't bring my ID/passport with me on my person. So why would you expect people from outside the US to have one on them? Would you want to hold a convention in AZ if you have people from outside the US? Conventions bring in millions of dollars of revenue to local shops and hotels. No conventions = huge drop in sales for shops in city's that hold conventions.
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    it's wrong, but arizona, it feels so good
  • AstroZombie
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    snake85027 wrote: »
    This is what happened to me while delivering pizza.
    This guy came out with a gun and pointed it at my head and all I had to give him was 3 dollars and two large pizzas and he tells me," dude, do you fucking think I'm playing?"as he shoots the ground, maybe if this happened to you, you would feel differently! If cracking down on drug smugglers and criminals coming across the boarders is helped by this law, I am all for it. If you don't like it, get real and stop living in some fantasy world where everyone holds hands and sings Christmas carols.

How is this relevant to the discussion? Let me guess, the guy who robbed you had dark skin so you are assuming he was an illegal immigrant? That sir, IS racial profiling and is exactly the fucking problem with the law.

I would wager that the majority of violent crimes committed in the US are, per capita, by citizens, not by illegal immigrants.
  • Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I dont know about you americans but here in commieland we always have some form of ID on us, at least 99% of the time unless we forget it at home and im fairly sure that you always have to have your passport and identification on you when you are abroad aswell otherwise you might be fucked if some official asks for it.

Seems like some of you are making a reaaaaaaally huge deal about carrying a little card with you. :/

PS: Yes, the new law does suck, im just commenting on some of the comments in here.

EDIT: Thegodzero: "I don't know about you, but when i travel i sure as fuck don't bring my ID/passport with me on my person."

Good luck with that. Someday it´s gonna blow up on you.
  • East
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I always carry my European Union ID card with me out of habit (because in Sweden when paying using card I sometimes had to prove my ID when signing).

When I travel abroad I'd never carry my passport around, though, I'd lock it into the hotel safe. It's just common sense. Ever lost your passport the day before you are meant to travel back home, especially from the US? Yeah, good luck..

P.I.G., I think the big deal is carrying the card around just so some policeman can stop you and make sure you belong. We never had to deal with issues like that in Sweden, except when getting into clubs with age restrictions.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Notorious: good luck with taking your passport everywhere with you when you're abroad, someday it's gonna blow up on you ;)
  • Disco Stu
    I always carry my passport and its obligatory in germany.
    Not really for police more for bus ticket inspectors and stuff :D
  • Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    rooster wrote: »
    Notorious: good luck with taking your passport everywhere with you when you're abroad, someday it's gonna blow up on you ;)
    What about the countries that put you in jail over night for not having it and/or the papers on you when asked for it? Also, You're gonna have bigger issues than some dude wanting to take your passport if you're in that situation (although i think they'd rather just take your watch and cash).

Embassies for the win rooster. Official papers the day after you apply for it but yeah i understand your point. Not that Im being overly worried about it.

Eest: We also use the ID card in stores as you said. Also, for buying booze, smokes, etc.

In fact, its a bit silly at times. My girlfriend bought some booze for herself and me cause i had forgotten my wallet (and ID) at home... apparently i had to show my ID too just for being there with her making the purchase.
  • Artifice
    The point here is not whether you should carry ID, but whether you should have to. As PeterK pointed out, just having a driver's license on you isn't enough. Plenty of illegal immigrants have DLs. They're easy to get and thus provide no proof of citizenship. The question at hand is whether it's ok for a state government to mandate having to carry 'my papers'. As it stands now it's not illegal to not have ID, or not to carry it if you do have one. I agree it's iffy to walk around without some form of ID, but actually being forced to carry one is an entirely different matter.
  • Mark Dygert
    There is a difference between carrying a form of ID to get access to services, and carrying ID so when your walking down the street and you get harassed by the cops you can stop further harassment, impending imprisonment, and deportation.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/31/nation/la-na-court-immigrants1-2010apr01
    Reporting from Washington — The Supreme Court confronted in two cases Wednesday the stiff federal law that requires deportation of any noncitizen convicted of an "aggravated felony," even if that person has lived in the U.S. legally for decades.
    The law was designed to capture and remove immigrants who commit violent crimes. Sometimes, however, it results in deporting a legal immigrant who pleads guilty to lesser violations.
    Like this guy did.
    http://articles.latimes.com/2010/apr/10/opinion/la-ed-deport10-2010apr10
    As a result of his case, no one is taking plea deals legal or illegal. Every case is expected to take the maximum amount of time and money. Solution, deport before they're put into the system, brilliant...

What are the checks and balances in that system to make sure the cops are kept under control, don't violate civil liberties and actually process people with respect, fairness and ACCURACY. I can see it now, "sure we deport a lot of legals and citizens per year by mistake but we get a lot more illegals, gotta break a few eggs ya know?"
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Master_v12 wrote: »

Yes. Arizona is exactly like Nazi Germany now.
  • Disco Stu
    Is arizona the one with that mad sheriff who wants to be gouvernor?
    Joe Apajo or something like that?
  • MagicSugar
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Disco Stu wrote: »

Concentration camp (aka the Pueblo of Death) inmates call her the Mexicutioner.

arizonazi.jpg
  • Master_v12
    lol

yeah disco that is the man

About the carrying around an ID. A friend of mine and I got stopped once on the way to the gym, he was driving and we don't take our wallets with us to the gym. So the officer just asked for his name and address and found him on the computer. So whether you carry or don't carry around an ID if you are a AZ resident shouldn't be a problem. If you are a traveler you should always have your passport no?

@Sectaurs: Don't take me seriously yo. At the end of the day, living in the US illegally is against the law. Most of my family has moved to the US the legal way, which can be anywhere from a 2 to 5 year process. Some people can't wait that long and they know very well what they are getting themselves into.
  • Mark Dygert
    Disco Stu wrote: »
    Joe Apajo or something like that?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio
    In October 2009, the Department of Homeland Security removed the authority of Arpaio's 160 federally trained deputies to make immigration arrests in the field. Despite the actions of the Department of Homeland Security, Arpaio has maintained that he will still pursue illegal aliens under Arizona state law.[34]
    This guy? Mr I can enforce federal laws even though I'm a local sheriff.

Good-ol-boy mob justice "we don't need the law to enforce what we think is right, we are the law, what we say goes" is great and all until it turns on you. People going along with someone who embraces that should keep that in mind.

Yea he's raising money hand over fist.
    http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/2010/04/18/20100418joe-arpaio-fundraising.html
    But hasn't officially said if hes running for Governor or going to use the money to run for sheriff again. 2Mill is total overkill for sheriff. But legally he can transfer the money from one campaign to the other...

I wouldn't support giving more power to anyone who has trouble giving it up and hordes it whenever possible.
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Artifice wrote: »
    I agree it's iffy to walk around without some form of ID, but actually being forced to carry one is an entirely different matter.
    That was the question here a couple of years ago, and they went ahead and did force it. It doesn't make any difference; I just carry it in my wallet, and I take my wallet everywhere, easy peasy. Of course, since the police can only ask for it if you're doing something 'suspicious', you don't ever need it, and I do know that plenty of people go about without having one with them. Just saying, such things don't immediately turn your country into Nazi Germany and the switching of train tickets to digital cards has been a hundred times more problematic. And evil.
  • Master_v12
    He is also the man behind tent city jail

TentCitySunnyArizona100107.jpg
  • Junkie_XL
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    If reducing violence is the end goal for what Arizona is trying accomplish then I think California is going about the problem with a much better solution this November.

You all better vote to pass recreational use for marijuana. The economic result of making something illegal is the true culprit. I'd take it a step further. Make that shit available everywhere from Wal-Mart to Walgreens...boom instant price drop and instant elimination of drug lords who only empower themselves more because of the current higher prices.

Plus...I just want to buy little debbie pot brownies at the grocery store for a change. :thumbup:
  • Mark Dygert
    So then making marijuana legal would mean suddenly all of the other drugs are legal and drive their cost down too? They're just going to switch drugs (if they haven't already) and switch states, or use California as a spring board. If you're looking to choke off the cash flowing to the out of country drug lords, legalizing pot isn't the way to do it. Isn't most pot grown locally in California?

I think the big money in illegal drugs is in the small stuff you can pack into mules, not stuff you pack into trailers. But who knows...
  • Disco Stu
    Big money should be cocain packed into trailers ^^
    Yeah i saw a report about him on tv he seems to be a madman.
    Kinda changes the view about these plans.
    With him enforcing it doesnt seem like a law to identify yourself incase like it is here
    in germany it rather seems like another reason for him and his grunt police army to kick
    some ass.
    I guess most of the population of Arizona thinks like apaio?
    Probably the same place i saw in tv that had volunteers hunting down mexicans crossing the border just for fun.
  • Junkie_XL
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    So then making marijuana legal would mean suddenly all of the other drugs are legal and drive their cost down too? They're just going to switch drugs (if they haven't already) and switch states, or use California as a spring board. If you're looking to choke off the cash flowing to the out of country drug lords, legalizing pot isn't the way to do it. Isn't most pot grown locally in California?

I think the big money in illegal drugs is in the small stuff you can pack into mules, not stuff you pack into trailers. But who knows...

I should've specified better because "out-of-country" drug lords probably wouldn't lose much...you are right. I was referring more to dealers and pushers within the state...gangs, etc. I'm not a dope smuggler so I don't know the correct terminology...lol

The very best example history has to provide is how enriched the gangsters, Al Capone, etc became with the high price of alcohol during prohibition.

If mary-jane was legal, competition would make it cheaper. Cheaper ways to get high would cut into cocaine's allure and other drugs as well.
  • East
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I'm more inclinced to think that if you make weed legal you shift the appeal to other drugs that are still illegal. When I was at the age where most kids start to experiment with drugs, me and my friends probably would have been much less inclined to try alcohol if we were allowed to drink it.

It's just one factor among countless, though. We won't know the effects of legalized weed until we see the effects, but there's always unforseen ones popping up when you shift the balance this way.

EDIT: Oh, and for the record, I have no first hand experience with drugs, so my views should probably been seen with that in mind.
  • Junkie_XL
    Offline / Send Message
    East wrote: »
    I'm more inclinced to think that if you make weed legal you shift the appeal to other drugs that are still illegal. When I was at the age where most kids start to experiment with drugs, me and my friends probably would have been much less inclined to try alcohol if we were allowed to drink it.

It's just one factor among countless, though. We won't know the effects of legalized weed until we see the effects, but there's always unforseen ones popping up when you shift the balance this way.

EDIT: Oh, and for the record, I have no first hand experience with drugs, so my views should probably been seen with that in mind.

There will be elements of that I'm sure. It's virtually impossible to regulate every action a human can do so I just prefer ways of thinking that give the people more freedom and liberty to do what they want and opt for less market interference. With everything governments try to regulate an unintended consequence almost always arises somewhere else.

The connection between the rise in the more dangerous moonshine and prohibition is another good example. Now that alcohol is legal you don't hear or see much of this anymore. I think the longer we continue the failed policy of the war on drugs the more we'll see dangerous new drugs pop-up.

For example I blame the creation of more dangerous stuff like crystal-meth as one of the consequences of outlawing other more natural drugs like mj. People would lay on the ground and eat dirt all day if they thought it could get them high. Humans want to get high and will always find ways to get themselves high no matter what. The whole war on drugs is retarded and just a way to fund the prison industry IMO. Big tobacco and alcohol has lobbied for decades to keep things this way. They fear the competition.

I'd be interested to hear what the crime rates are in places like Amsterdam, etc.

edit: Sorta took this whole thing off on another tangent. I'm just not convinced illegal immigration causes violence even if the statistics show they may do more of the drug pushing. If they are gone, then legal citizens will eventually just take their place in the "illegal" trade.

Illegal immigration keeps food prices low for me since they are willing to work for less pay. I really have no problem with this, heh.
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    Right then, how is a country founded on immigration and screwing over the natural indigenous population so amazingly scarred of immigration? Lot's of Americans are so proud of their heritage, pronouncing themselves as Irish or Dutch or whatever but then are freaking out over other migrants? I know that it's not as simple as that but it's something to think about!

because now the people that were the immigrants are now the the self proclaimed indigenous population, and they know what immigrants do to their kind.

and for some reason Americans only give a fuck about immigration if its brown people, nobody gives 2 shits about the Canadians coming here, they are the right shade. my grandfathers a native american, all i got was some cheap college, it would be better if a large part of my family didn't live in a concentration camp made of dirt and poverty.

oh no! they are taking our jobs!!
    it could be worse, they could be taking your yard with your house on it, tear down your house and stick your ass in sand pit and put a fence around it.

i guess i am one of those Americans too proud of my heritage.
  • kaze369
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    Adding to the conversation...
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjHUb9PqysI[/ame]

SYNOPSIS:
    Prince William County, Virginia becomes ground zero in Americas explosive battle over immigration policy when elected officials adopt a law requiring police officers to question anyone they have "probable cause" to suspect is an undocumented immigrant.

9500 Liberty reveals the startling vulnerability of a local government, targeted by national anti-immigration networks using the Internet to frighten and intimidate lawmakers and citizens. Alarmed by a climate of fear and racial division, residents form a resistance using YouTube videos and virtual town halls, setting up a real-life showdown in the seat of county government.

The devastating social and economic impact of the Immigration Resolution is felt in the lives of real people in homes and in local businesses. But the ferocious fight to adopt and then reverse this policy unfolds inside government chambers, on the streets, and on the Internet. 9500 Liberty provides a front row seat to all three battlegrounds.

This documentary is not out yet but there's a lot of video on the youtube channel. The town was completely devastated when they implemented a anti-immigration law.
  • Gilgamesh
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Wish something like this would be implemented in the UK, we are suffering quite badly with illegal immigration, especially on the south coast and London (where I live and work :/). We have draconian police laws anyway so one added thing that might actually help the country shouldn't be too bad.
  • snake85027
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    I just want to make this loud and clear, I am not for people getting harassed on the street just because they look a certain way and I definitely disagree the police being able to just barge into peoples homes without going through the proper chain and getting a warrant... What I am saying is that, if someone is doing something illegal in anyway the cops should get the proper identification to make sure they are not illegal.

so if I sound like a racist because of this, then so be it..when the topic of debate is as strong as this one is, everyone needs someone to be the enemy....even though I do disagree with the law that was passed...we should never piss on the bill of rights...
  • chris89
  • Japhir
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    This seems like the kind of regulation you'd expect from people who scream "THEY TOOK URR JEEEERRRBS!!" regularly.
  • kaze369
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    Japhir wrote: »
    This seems like the kind of regulation you'd expect from people who scream "THEY TOOK URR JEEEERRRBS!!" regularly.

THEY DOO URR DOOOOOOOOOO!!
  • Snight
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16
    00Zero wrote: »
    thats why I always carry my passport, birth certificate, drivers license, and a snapshot of me highfiving the president at all times.

Dude me too! You'd be amazed how much trouble it gets me out of.

prezandmeh.jpg
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    East wrote: »

I dont think anyone is saying making pot legal for small children is the way to go. I think you bring up a good point though. A part of what makes pot alluring is its subversive identity. But that would mean kids arent drawn to cigaretts, and boos,-

which clearly they are.
    drunk-and-smoking-babie.jpg

Also, you guys should check out this mini vice documentary.
    illegal-border-crossing-park

Illegal immigration is a part of Mexico`s culture. Its so ingrained no American legislation could ever hope to stop it. Businesses all across Arizona that employ illegal immigrants are probably freaking the fuck out right now.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    I lived in Tempe while I was going to school and I've wanted to move back down there ever since. But one thing about the place I noticed (and this was back in like 2003, so maybe it's changed since then) was the high number of homeless people around. I lived on Apache Blvd, which becomes Main St in Mesa, and as I recall there wasn't a single gas station between my apartment and Apache Junction where one could walk in after midnight and not have someone come up and ask for spare change.

But I'm okay with that. Shit happens to people. It's likely I'll be homeless in a couple years too. But I suspect a lot of people don't like them being around. I could be wrong, but I highly doubt many of the people living outdoors are carrying ID. So this law pretty much allows cops to detain homeless people, whether they're loitering or panhandling or not. I can see how some people might be okay with that, but IMO it's not cool.

I don't think it's directly related, but since it was brought up: +1 for legalization of recreational cannabis use. There's a lot to be gained by allowing it to become part of the legal economy and freeing users from the need to deal with criminals to obtain it.

I'm in favor of legalizing hard drugs too, only for the sake of regulation, safety, and money. I don't touch the stuff, but I think we'd all be a little (maybe a lot) safer if it was being sold in stores by law-abiding business owners instead of by gun-toting street gangs or whoever. The stuff in stores isn't going to be cut with drain cleaner or glass. And the money doesn't end up funding other types of crime. Making it legal doesn't imply it's safe or healthy, it just makes it easier to control.
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    You know what...I'm not gonna touch this one. I'll just let the rest of you hash out this particular issue.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Thegodzero wrote: »
    I don't know about you, but when i travel i sure as fuck don't bring my ID/passport with me on my person.

Wait, what? when you're traveling that's when you take your ID/Passport, you can't fly or get through customs without them. And hell, I'm a beer snob so I always want proof that I can legally sample local brews.

+1 for drug legalization. When was the last time you've heard of gangs of illegal alcohol manufacturers? Yes, you can brew your own but you can't sell it without a license. It was enough to pretty much kill any black market alcohol that you saw during prohibition.
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 14
  • snake85027
    Offline / Send Message
    I am just curious, stating that majority of the people in Arizona illegally are Mexican, is that racist or a fact? I just hate how people automatically pull out the race card when we are trying to enforce our laws. If someone is here illegally we have the right to know.

I hear a lot of people complaining about racial profiling, but I hear no solutions to it, if the majority of people that come here to Arizona illegally are from Mexico, how should we go about this and not offend people? Is it not a crime to be here illegally, why should we have to wait until someone gets murdered or rapped or something else for something to be done?

I am all for people trying to better themselves but we have a citizenship system in place, yea I understand its difficult but millions of people have done it this way and I know its offending for them when people come here and demand citizenship... I was in Japan for four years in the Military, Id never go anywhere with out my military Id and lets make no mistake I stood out, would I get offended if someone asked to see my ID, NO, not at all. Did I go over there demanding that they speak English, no I tried to learn the language, I did not wave my American Flag around demanding respect when I walked the streets. I respected their country and its laws.

Why are people from Mexico any different?
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Mexicans scare me and they should go back to that crummy country. All they do is import drugs that kill out kids and don't speak English.
    /sarcasm

I live in Kansas where there's a large Mexican population (sometimes around 20%) there's a lot that don't speak much English, some are legal, some aren't its not that big of a deal.

But its silly when the deport people that have homes, business, and kids, and they're whole life is based here. My friends parent's actually own a gift shop that cashes checks, popular for the illegals that can't open a bank account. But they aren't a problem here, they probably help the economy more than anything, cheap hardworking labor for all the new subdivisions they use to build (until the stock market crash).
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Here's a solution...ease up on immigration restrictions..these people that work their asses off to earn a little scratch ...make it super easy from them to get a green card

and why do you equate rape and murder with illegal immigrants...?
  • snake85027
    Offline / Send Message
    Because it happens here in Arizona, all you have to do is turn on the news. Am I saying only illegals do this no, what I am saying is why wait for a crime like this to be committed to enforce our laws when its already a crime when you come here illegally?
  • Jeremy Wright
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    snake85027 wrote: »
    I hear a lot of people complaining about racial profiling, but I hear no solutions to it...

Prosecute the companies that employ them: construction companies, factories, farms, etc.

When you weed your garden do you cut off the flowering parts or do you pull them up at the roots?
  • snake85027
    Offline / Send Message
    In Arizona I can drive 20 minutes from where I live and see everything written in Spanish. So sorry if I want to keep my culture. I should not need a translator when I drive anywhere in America. And the point is we should not have to bend over and shit on our culture to be tolerant to someone else. You want to come here that's fine, nothing wrong with asking people to adapt to the English language that want to come here. Also what you wrote ZacD, is a sad story no doubt, did we force that family to come here illegally? No, it was their choice. And let me say this, I do not care if they are from Mexico, Ireland,Sweden,Japan or any other country, I still feel the same, laws and regulations are in place for a reason.

Different rant.

Because the economy is in a slump like it is, we need population control, why have millions of people come through when we do not have the job demand to back it up? Sure if the economy comes back up, lets make it easier for people to get the proper citizenship but this does not mean lowering the standards either.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Maybe we could just all get our citizenshipo identification tattooed on our arms or maybe implanted in our hand in the form of a nano-sized IR device.

Maybe we should put CCTV cameras on every block and scan people's faces and match them against revords in a government database using facial recognition software.

Or we could have little robot spiders that go around scanning everyone's eye for biometric data and compare it to an expansive database in realtime.

That would fix it, right?

Or, you know, we could treat the cause of the problem instead of the symptoms. Here's an idea: pass a law that says any company or farm that is caught employing illegals will have their assets seized and their company disolved. No companies employing illegals = no illegals.
  • snake85027
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with you Spider, we should be stopping the companies that hire people that are illegally here.
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    just ate an awesome burrito, thank god LA loves our immigrants..
  • TomDunne
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    8FtSpider wrote: »
    Or, you know, we could treat the cause of the problem instead of the symptoms. Here's an idea: pass a law that says any company or farm that is caught employing illegals will have their assets seized and their company disolved. No companies employing illegals = no illegals.

For the most part, I agree with this, but how are you going to replace that workforce? I don't think the southwestern US has an abundance of citizens who are willing to pick vegetables or clean bathrooms for minimum wage. The jerbs those illegals are stealing aren't ones that Americans want, right? It's primarily shitty day labor/contract work, unskilled positions that don't pay well. What English speaking American will choose to spend his day picking cabbages in the SoCal heat when he can make more money slouching behind the register at Burger King?
This discussion has been closed.