Home Technical Talk

Slide Edge Equivilent/script in Max?

PredatorGSR
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
Maya has a tool called Slide Edge which allows you to select an edge loop or edge and slide it along a surface without changing the silhouette. Max has Constrain by edge/face/normal, which works the same for single edges, but doesn't really work if you have an edge loop on complex geometry, like an edge loop around the letter m for example. The edges get pushed in different directions if there are sharp angles it seems.

Is there a tool or script that would work like Maya's slide edge does for a complex edge loop?

Also, I've noticed that when extruding on an angled surface that has xforms reset, the extrude won't extrude straight down along the face normal like it would in maya, even if normal is set as the extrusion type. Instead, it will extrude along an axis or something like it, so that the trough won't be straight down compared to the face orientation. Any ideas on how to achieve a straight extrude in this situation?

Replies

• Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Shift-X, for edge constraint in Edit Poly.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Shift-X, for edge constraint in Edit Poly.

Sorry, I tried to make it clear that edge constraint doesn't work for complex edge loops. I'm trying to see if there is anything more advanced, either within max or by script.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    graphite tools/polyboost -> swiftloop -> read the tooltip, it's something like hold alt click to select loop then shift click drag to slide - it explains in the tooltip. good luck!
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Hey Predator, you may want to try "Shift Loop" from IC.Shape 2.0 toolset. It should do what you're looking for.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Select the edges you want to connect, that will bridge the edge(s) you want to create.

Use the "Connect" tool dialog box. Adjust the Slide amount.

The added edge won't affect the silhouette of the object.

slider.jpg
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, I'll try out the I.C. Shape tools.

Ott, I already have the loop, I'm just trying to move/slide it, not create it.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I think he is suggesting you use connect and then delete the old loop.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    If you don't want the edge to alter the silhouette, what's the issue with simply adding a new one and removing the old one?
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the primary reason is that I only want to slide part of the edge loop.

For example, in this instance, I want to select the red part of the edge loop and slide it closer to the next loop so that there is a consistent gap between them for when it gets turbosmoothed.

Edge constrain doesn't work in this situation because the loop goes around the corner and for some reason or another parts of the edge go crazy when moved.

edge.jpg

I tried IC Shape tools, but it didn't seem to work very well. I couldn't select the actual edges that i wanted to move consistently. I use draster, which there are known incompatibilities with, but even with it disabled it didn't seem to use that tool reliably. I couldn't even select the edge I wanted in the example provided, although it worked on simpler ones.

Are graphite tools only in 2010? I'm using 2009.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    If you try to move a large selection of edges with constraints, yes, they can occasionally go haywire with multiple edges. Normally when doing HP modeling if I just can't get a large selection of edge loops to go correctly, I will simply use the constraints and move a handful of the verts at a time constrained to edges.

As far as I can tell with that specific edge selection, moving it any closer to the other two wouldn't change your silhouette anyhow, making it unnecessary in the first place....unless you have some other obstructed cut lines around the back side you are wanting to do this for that we aren't seeing?
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nah, in this case it wouldn't matter much. I just grabbed an example that illustrated the point.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Predator: as you're finding out, people can be quite hard to talk to when they've decided you don't need something, haha.
    I used Slide in Silo all the time, and it's quite lovely. For most purposes edge-constraints work well for me, though.
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    iv run into this problem with curving pieces. not sure what you mean exactly tho pred.

if its really not happening with constraints i usually either, use a spline that fallows the path i want my loop to fallow, then snap the verts into place, or i use align to view. idk if that helps, all pretty basic stuff but figured id throw it out there. me like screen shots.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I use CSslide
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/Meshtools-3-with-CSPolyTools

Only drawback is that it moves the whole loop, not a section. Usually thats good enough for my needs. (like, 80% of the time)
    Ill look at the extrude problem tonight on my setup, to see if I got the same error. Could you post an example screenshot ?

Hope this helps!!!
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an example of the extrusion issue. This geometry has had xforms reset, but I've had it happen all of the time.

extrude.jpg
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try out CrazyButcher's edge straighten maxscript, it's great for aligning edge loops.

EDIT:

Grab it from here.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's an interesting script. The fact that you have to select the perpendicular edge loops is a bit limiting, and means you are always affecting 2 edge loops instead of one, but I can definitely see the uses. It doesn't entirely solve my issue for all circumstances, but it works for some of them, and if no other solution is found I think this is probably the next best thing.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    from the picture you posted, it seems like your manipulator/axis/gizmo is VERY odd. It looks all squished ... in the direction you want the extrusion not to go. I dont think its a problem with the extrude tool. You should definitely be able to extrude that in without such behavior. Check if something is set to parent or local in your axis properties (in your main toolbar). As a matter of fact, maybe provide a screenshot of your toolbar aswell ...
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    yeah, i was gona say he is set to local, or possibly an orthographic view orbited around? idk.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, I'm an idiot. So I was configuring the modifier sets to add my commonly used modifiers as shortcuts, and I added xform as a modifier, and starting using that instead of the reset xform in the tools menu. I just realized that those aren't the same thing at all, and all those xform modifiers I put on didn't actually reset the xforms like I assumed. Actually resetting the xforms from the tools tab fixed the extrusion problem.

Nice catch.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea looks like someone was scaling in object mode not sub-object?

You really didn't need to reset xform, that's a bit like using a handgun to kill a fly. Just resetting the scale transform would have fixed it. Hierarchy tab > Reset > Transform/Scale

The reset Xform utility resets the scale and transform just like above but it also re-aligns the local pivot to the world. If you're not familiar with the local pivot its great, very handy and used all the time for animation, so be nice to the next guy down the line and don't jack up something he/she could use.
    ResetXformPivotProblem.gif
    If you need to reset the scale, just reset the scale.

Why the xform modifier doesn't seem to anything:

The xform modifier allows you to add new Position, Rotation and Scale on top of the existing set without affecting the old transform values. When you collapse the changes are accepted and the old values stay the same.

Xform Modifier Example:
    Create box at 100%
    Scale the box down 50% In object mode
    Apply xform modifier
    Scale the box up 200% and collapse
    The box still thinks its 50% even though its bigger. Its telling it to not adjust the transform values while you change the actual object.

If you plan to scale in object mode, you should have a xform modifier in the list so the scale transform stays at the original 100% after you scale it up/down and collapse. Or do what most people do and scale in sub-object, or reset scale afterward.

Scaling in object mode is sometimes preferable because it can be based off the objects actual local pivot instead of whatever the pivot point of the selection is.

Scaling in sub-object mode with pivot set to local
    3dsmax_Scale00.gif

Scaling in object mode with pivot set to local.
    3dsmax_Scale01.gif

Hope that helps clear up some of the confusion.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yea, I use local transform all the time. Didn't know about the individual reset, I'll definitely use that from now on. Thanks for the info.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice info vig, didn't know that you could just reset those parameters.