Home General Discussion

Skate 3

Nick Carver
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
Does anyone else play the Skate games at all? I think they're probably some of my favourite 'pick up and play' games of the last few years. The demo for Skate 3 is out and it's pretty darn good fun. Admittedly they've not added a whole lot in terms of tricks - the addition of darkslides is awesome - but the trick list is pretty exhaustive anyway. I really do think the control system is one of the best devised so far. It's really intuitive and flexible. It looks like they've cleaned the art up quite a lot compared to the previous games too. So yeah, I really like these games and I recommend trying the demo if you've not played Skate before.

Replies

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    i play it! skate 3 demo is siiiick. they also added the underflip, which is ALWAYS a nice trick. my fav part of S3 is hardcore mode. I cant play on regular anymore. its too..... tony hawk... lol. my buddy worked on the second one, and apparently did ALOT for the third one as well (programmer). cant wait to challenge him when the game comes out. haha

but yes, definitely one of my favourite party games with friends.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    I loved Skate and Skate 2, well, for a skating game anyway :P The Skate series blows Tony Hawk out of the water (it's the same game every year). I think taking the realistic approach to skating is a lot more fun. I can't tell you how many times I tried to gap something or complete a specific combo that would have been a simple process in Tony Hawk. It's much more gratifying in Skate to clear a huge gap than it is to do a 234872895377564325 point combo! Plus, you don't have to skate around and collect letters :P
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    i LOVE the first skate.....second skate is good. but i think it's gettin a little goofy. also, for god's sake...add more and FIX some things. they HAVE to fix lip trick re-entry in vert, it's been broken since day one.

first SKATE....still the best.
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    I cant wait either!

Skate 2 is the only game I still play at least once a week with some friends on the couch, and it is over a year old now!

I really like the Skate3 demo so far, its so much easier to get up/off you board and walk around now, and I cant wait to try out the new city.

The only thing I didnt like about the S3 demo is that a lot of the environments looked a lot more clean(in the boring way) and unrealistic than in S2. In skate2 the concrete parks had wear, tear, mud, water marks and graffiti, but in the skate3 demo every concrete part is the same repeating 'clean' texture. Its like you're skating around the portal labs(the aperture science one).

Anyway, If you have never played any of the skate games, you should really try it out, the control scheme is one of its kind(you hardly use buttons, the sticks control your weight and direction so to jumo you have to pull down and up for instance)!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Damn, I don't have a 360 any more (brother took it to his new apartment, and never payed me back the $200 I spent on it) Skate 1 and 2 were my favorite games for a long time, never really like the "big parks/jumps" the added at the end of the games though, I much more enjoy the levels and find new and cool spots. The move around parts I've only found limited uses for, but sometimes they allow very cool sessions, what did they add this time around?
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love this game too man, and I agree, perfect for just picking up when you have a spare 20 mins or so. But equally enjoyable for longer periods. The control system and skate 'physics' are so good too, I too love the hardcore mode, adds even more feel to it I think.

I always tend to get the 'GTA' effect when I play though, and spend an hour just trying to nail a perfect grind or gap or something when I'm planning to do a couple of the career challenges.

I like how it's fundamentally the same game too, yes they could fix stuff but at least they don't go all Tony Hawk. Although, there's still time for that, IIRC Tony Hawk was good up until number 3 :D

The replay editor is cool too, also I love choosing the photo's for the magazine shots and adding the post effect, then seeing it cropped into the magazine... little touches like that are nice.
    ZacD wrote: »
    what did they add this time around?

Some more park creation tools. In fact I think they added a whole park creator as well as the 'move environment bits around the game world' from Skate 2.

Darkslides, as mentioned above work really well.

I'm not 100% sure if hardcore mode is new, I think it is though, basically heavier physics meaning you really have to nail the tricks timing wise otherwise you bail.

There's two cameras too, the usual close low cam and a more TH style 3rd person, that was in Skate2 (maybe even 1) as well but it seems to be slightly nicer this time round.

It also seems like Reda is gone, which is a shame since he was pretty funny in the first two.

I just really wanna see a new snowboarding game of the same quality. One with the Skate control system would be cool, but a new SSX would be nicer!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    hardcore is new, hopefully they make bailing on landings more realistically in that mode, the first 2 games you could almost land sideways and land tricks, of course it'd kill your speed, though.

I think there was 2 camera modes in skate 2, nice to hear the camera is a bit better, it still got funky in skate 2.

I want a new ssx game, too.

Might have to get a ps3/360 soon.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    I just really wanna see a new snowboarding game of the same quality. One with the Skate control system would be cool, but a new SSX would be nicer!

I want someone to bring back BMX games! I'd love to have a BMX game where you could do that whole dave mirra experience (but more realistic) BUT also add the ability to do downhill BMX racing.

But I digress!
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie wrote: »
    The only thing I didnt like about the S3 demo is that a lot of the environments looked a lot more clean(in the boring way) and unrealistic than in S2. In skate2 the concrete parks had wear, tear, mud, water marks and graffiti, but in the skate3 demo every concrete part is the same repeating 'clean' texture. Its like you're skating around the portal labs(the aperture science one).
    !

I think the University section in the demo is particularly clean and expansive (some of the areas feel a little TOO spacious). I think that the downtown and industrial areas will have more dirt and clutter. That's what I'm hoping, anyway.

I'm really glad they sorted out the on-foot controls, too. It was really unresponsive in the first game but now it's pretty speedy and fluid.

I was trying to think about how they could improve the game further and the only major thing I could think of was a day/night cycle so that you could sneak into guarded spots at night and set up spotlights/use dv cameras with lights on etc. to get the footage. Would be pretty cool, I think.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    hardcore mode

-harder to build up speed
    -harder to do specific tricks. if you want to do a blunt slide or something, you gotta nail it dead on.
    -doing a flip trick on a rail? good luck....
    -higher ollies are harder to do
    -bailing is much easier

basically, all the physics are better/more realistic. you cant do huge combos anymore. so points are way harder to come by.

they also added

the darkslide
    the underflip
    skatepark creator (i think thats new? before you could just drop items into game? iirc)
    improved the hall of meat. you can now get a parachute effect, and instead of going to the broken bone screen, it shows the broken bones on your game character like an x-ray.
    better video replay stuff
    getting on and off your board is WAY smoother

someone mentioned the textures not being as dirty. skate 2 was in a run down version of the skate 1. not sure where this one takes place, but you gotta remember, the demo is just one smalllll area.

only thing i wish they would fix is when you go up to grind certain ledges, you go into wall ride mode. bugs the hell outta me.

Though, from the sounds of it, this will be the last skate game. seems like almost all of blackbox (at least, the skate team), is no more. but who knows with EA
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    I got my fingers crossed for a new SSX game, I loved tricky and the others were pretty good too :) But TRICKY WAS AMAZING haha, probably play it now and its terrible haha,

have they fixed the off board stuff in the new skate, in skate 2 it was pretty terrible, it was like Keanu Reeves the game lol, love skate games though, cant believe tony hawk games commiting suicide recently, what ever happend to tony hawks 2, I lost years playing that back in the day and now what the fudge thay doing!!!!!!
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I played the demo and it pretty much is the same as every other skate game for me. Entertaining, but broken in subtle ways i can't quite say. Still, good times jumping off of skyscrapers and torpedoing into pedestrians.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Think I'll be skipping #3 There aren't enough new moves, and controlling your bails have gotton unrealistic, your like a rubber ball now.

Hardcore is alright. The learning curve to hit rails shot up, but you get used to it. Yeah trying to flip trick off a grind is very hard, usually can pull it off at the end of a rail. Wish you could do more with the darkslide, IE what Rodney Mullen does.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    ZacD wrote: »
    Might have to get a ps3/360 soon.

You stated you already have a 360. Your brother hasn't paid you for it, thus it's still yours so get it back.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Keg wrote: »
    You stated you already have a 360. Your brother hasn't paid you for it, thus it's still yours so get it back.
    He spent more on it though (we spend like $500 for it, controllers, and games), and is bigger :P
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Haven't tried the new demo, Skate 1 is still the best, skate 2 was more phony like the tony hawk franchise, but i watched one of the earliar skate 3 vids hesh v fresh etc, def gonna buy this one. Skates gotta be one of the best franchises to pick up and play with ur buddy
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    i loved the first one, second one was meh, and this one seems a step above the second. I really wish they would have a bunch of real world environments in these games so you can skate the spots you always see in videos. I would prefer to unlock different cities to skate in (like thrasher skate and destroy)

I think this game would benefit greatly with Natural Motion Euphoria physics. The bails would look 100 times nastier.

Darkslides work well, i think thats the only addition with tricks yea? I could have sworn that i heard you could do some flatland freestyle Rodney Mullen stuff.

Skate as a series just seems to be stalling imo, seems they can't really do much more with it. Black Box should develop a snowboarding title next time because there's no good ones out there. I miss Amped 2 =(
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    yeah skate needs a break and a huge update, none of this yearly crap.

I like how in skate 2 they added more falls (you don't always fall like a rag doll, sometimes you walk away from a bail, but it seems they didn't add/change much of that).
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i loved skate.

but i never went for skate 2, and i dont intend to go for skate 3.
    its not the type of games i'm down to buy annually unless each step has major changes.

what's next? confetti ? [fifa world cup feature-list reference]

that said, they are real good games.
    just not at the rate of 60$ a year.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    zac, they definitely tweaked the physics for the falls. they are much more realistic now.

and... AGAIN.... they added not only the darkslide, but the underflip as well.

there definitely wont be another one next year though, so no worries there, boys.
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah - the bails/slams have improved quite a bit. Now when you mess up a trick your skater will stumble forward, carried by the momentum, and try and stop themselves falling. It looks pretty cool.

I kind of wish they'd put casper slides in as well as darkslides, but maybe there are no button/stick combinations left!
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Honestly I think Rockstar should do another skate boarding game. Thrasher was, and still is, one of my all time favorite skateboarding games. Now, imagine that they have a skateboarding game on their shiny new game engine. Hot. Hell, with rockstar I wouldn't be surprised if they added a completely stupid and awesome story to the whole thing.
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch wrote: »
    Honestly I think Rockstar should do another skate boarding game. Thrasher was, and still is, one of my all time favorite skateboarding games. Now, imagine that they have a skateboarding game on their shiny new game engine. Hot. Hell, with rockstar I wouldn't be surprised if they added a completely stupid and awesome story to the whole thing.

Thrasher FTW. Most underrated skateboarding game ever.
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mya38zc5OfY[/ame]

This glitch works and is great to reach those spots you just barely cant get to in the demo! This should keep us all busy until the game releases in 2-3 weeks :p
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks kwakkie, ill have to try that out
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    who bought it!?

ive been playing so much since tuesday. up to 800,000 boards sold. some of the challenges are pretty damn tough on hardcore mode. but damn is it fun! cant wait to finish the story and dabble in the park editor!

if you`re playing on xbox, my gamer tag is Anim8TheWeak
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    Is the full game smooth? I found the demo pretty jerky. I keep wanting to love Skate but it keeps letting me down. The off board is still clunky :< Good addition of Jason Lee however!
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    who bought it!?

Gonna go pick it up tomorrow when it's released here in the UK.

I tried to grab it early from my local Blockbuster tonight but they weren't having any of it.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, I'm still saving up to get it. I have never played a demo as much as I have played the demo for Skate 3.