Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My anim reel!

I have been getting alot of great support here for my DragonWeaver cartoon im creating..

so here is my reel so u can see what i can do. These are all made for games, so im forced to come in and out of poses, and stuck to certain timing on things... i cant wait to show what i really can do with my cartoon. Its Mp4, and is 19 megs. 3 min long i think.

http://www.artofbrad.com/images/artwork/CantShow/BradM_DKS_X1.mp4

Replies

• Tom Ellis
    Looks incredible man good work, and looking forward to seeing the progress on the cartoon.

I just wanna say fantastic work on Darksiders, it's my favourite game for sure from the last 6 months or so. One thing I loved about the animation is the fact that the weight of the attacks and the weapons are believable, something I wouldn't have expected from a dude hacking and slashing at monsters so huuge.
  • ArtOfBrad
    awesome bro!! thanks!!!!
  • crasong
    Offline / Send Message
    crasong polycounter lvl 13
    Loving the rhythm, loving the teapot :)
  • bejkon
    Offline / Send Message
    bejkon polygon
    Dayum! It's two minutes which is quite long for a reel(?) but it's quality from start to finish so it never got boring. But the clip with the white dude at 1:57 feels to short.

Must been a real treat to animate those guys.

Bookmarked for inspiration.
  • ArtOfBrad
    thnks my brotha!! damn i keep forgetting to delte that clip at 1:57..typically ya 1 minute is enough...i guess it more of a compilaiton of work. If i were to submit a reel to someone id make it about 30 seconds of my fav stuff.
  • Amarth93
    if you gonna make a 30Sec reel, use the best animations of the different animation categories, that will attract people
  • catstyle
    your like some terminator sent back in time to kill in 3d
  • ArtOfBrad
    hahahaha....dude thats probably the raddest compliment ever.
  • SyncViewS
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Hey Brad, this is one of the rare cases I feel like using the word "talent". There's no doubt you got it! If I ever delved into animation, I'd love to have you as my mentor.
  • ArtOfBrad
    anytime sync..i do have a method i use on everything and it works very well for me. I love the art of animation, and once u get the basics down, it really is all about what ur mind wants to do.
  • slipsius
    LOVE this reel man. so good
  • haikai
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    I really like your animation work. Darksiders had some pretty solid animation throughout, and the kill animations were particularly cool. It's too bad those variations of the finishing move animations weren't implemented in the game. I'm not familiar with what exactly is expected in animation reels, but this has enough great stuff to convince me!
  • Razorb
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    oh man oh man, this is really amazing work.. honestly.. ive been trying my hand at a bit of animation and i bought the richard williams book to learn more about the fundamentals and yar i can really appreciate the skill on show here! thanks for sharing! :D
  • James9475
    Hey, great work, only had a couple of problems with it:

I get the impression from watching it that you're not too used to going back into poses. Every animation where the guy ends up back in his standard pose at the end looks very mechanical in its last few seconds. It's really best to settle the characters more, if you snap back into poses like that the seam between animations will be very very obvious to the player and it breaks the illusion every time.

The other problem is that I feel the reel is too long considering a lot of the pieces are very similar to each other. Personally, I would cut it down to a little over a minute, and just include the very best. Also, if there was any way for you to get better footage of the in game fight between the two winged creatures that would great.

But yeah, dispite that stuff, and really the pose transition is the only technical thing that I really feel stands out, great work :)
  • DerDude
    Offline / Send Message
    DerDude polycounter lvl 10
    James9475, the thing is there are a lot of technical thing going on, the character need to get back in the pose for game-purpose, i sure Brad know what he´s doing ^^ I like the feel of the heavy creature, so cool. I love the reel, i know everything after i see the reel and it´s: "Brad know´s his shit" 5 stars
  • James9475
    DerDude. I am a professional game animator, I know about the technicalities of getting a character back into his poses.

My point is that the ways he is transitioning his characters back to their default poses is often unnatural, and I feel it is something he should work on. Please don't get in the way of valid crits, obviously Brad's animation skills are solid, I assume he's asking for crits on his reel, not just to have praise heaped on him.
  • markus-omega
    awsome stuff dude. i love the animations. that must have been a hell of a lot of work
  • ArtOfBrad
    thanks alot my peeps!

James - i should of put a disclaimer. All of our games have a blend system back to pose....i hate it...so the frame after the action is done is when we stop working on the animation and the game will blend it back. I usually just blend it back as well in the anim bc my OCD wont let me just stop after the last frame of the action...I would TOTALLY have the character settle if that part of the anim would be useable...BUT GREAT GREAT crit and i would URGE ANYONE to make sure they are doing that. I also should of called it animation compilation. My true demo reel is about 30 seconds. Has the basics...a fight, a run, a walk, general acting. thats it. BUT AGAIN, id urge all animation reels to stay at around 45 secoonds-minute max. Thanks for the compliments as well big J!

Ill be posting VERY RECENT stuff soon!
  • James9475
    Ah cool, ty for clearing that up, look forward to seeing more of your stuff :)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    I wanna play the game now...:)