RadarArray - HP

PredatorGSR
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
Latest:

radararray_texture.jpg

Original
I'm starting work on a large scene for my portfolio. The scene is a military outpost in the mountains, inspired by playing Just Cause 2. I'm primarily drawing on 3 sources for inspiration, Warhammer 40k for general concepts and design, Just Cause 2 for the base layout and lighting feel, and UT3 for texturing style and workflow. The final scene will be displayed in UDK.

This first piece is to help me establish the art style of the military equipment, and is just the HP so far. The radar array is about 2x the height of the player, and will be placed in multiple areas in the base, probably both at ground level and on the top of a building. I'm shooting for lots of angled surfaces and a decent amount of small detail but nothing too crazy since I have a lot of assets to make. The base and some other elements will be reused for some other assets.

This asset is also a test to prototype the workflow from Max > xNormal > UDK. This was modeled in Max and rendered in Maya since I'm more familiar with it and already had a render setup built.

The eagle on the dish will probably be indented instead of extruded, but thats something I'll invert in the normal map since it would be a huge hassle to try to boolean something like that.

radararray_hp.jpg

Any feedback is welcome.

Replies

• [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Boolean? Did i eard boolean?! :O nooo...

eh eh, nah man, just make a concave floater for the eagle and bake it, you'll be fine.

It seems you have a solid base to work from and you know what you want. Good luck with it.

For this piece it self, personally i would avoid having too many hard edges, i like to have my high polies as smooth and round as possible, the bakes just came out better that way for me.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    I can see the warhammer influence. Looks great! May want to work on the legs a little more tho. they're a little underwhelming.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] wrote: »
    For this piece it self, personally i would avoid having too many hard edges, i like to have my high polies as smooth and round as possible, the bakes just came out better that way for me.

Well that kind of conflicts with the style I'm going for. My last piece was a complex prop with a lot of hard edges too, and it turned out pretty well, so I'm not too worried about it. Just makes texturing a little harder because of all the split shells, but it's not a big deal.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the low poly. It weighs in at 2400 tris.

radararray_lp.jpg
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick scale test in the graybox level in UDK. Ended up shrinking it slightly. Screenshot is from the player perspective.

radararray_scaletest.jpg
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Changed the HP a bunch and finished the baking, low poly and UVS. The normal map was baked in xNormal.

This is the low poly displayed in Marmoset with the normal map applied. I also have it in unreal, but its a lot muddier due to the downsizing. This is with a 2k, but the final will probably have a 1k.

I just realized I wasted a bunch of uv space with that big octagon, oh well, too late to change it now.

radararray_marmoset.jpg

radararray_normal.jpg
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    pretty neat bake :D i dont even see the octagon on the model?
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi wrote: »
    pretty neat bake :D i dont even see the octagon on the model?

Yea, its the base, under the cylinders. You can barely even see it, total waste. I just forgot to shrink it before I did the uv layout so it is the same texel density as everything else. Was dealing with a bunch of technical issues while I was doing it so it slipped my mind.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Is that from something? I didn't recognize it as a symbol like say the nazi eagle, and thought it looked a lot like the triforce th... wait it's a standard warhammer logo isn't it? I should've guessed as much, but I have little knowledge of that stuff.

Ignore me =)
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm looking for some feedback on the texturing phase. I think I achieved the art style I was going for, which was a kind of colorful/clean/realistic look. The screenshots of Brink were my main inspiration for the general direction. I wanted enough wear to feel used, but well maintained.

I feel like I'm still missing something though, so any suggestions are appreciated. Maybe some way to break up the single metal look. I did some experimentation with some lighter colored pieces but I don't know how successful it was.

radararray_texture.jpg
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    your normals on the low poly render aren't really showing. if you are rendering in maya, make sure to set the filter type for each map to "OFF" and also make sure to set the mode to "tangent space" on the bump node. I believe it is set to "bump" by default.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huh? This is rendered in marmoset, and the normal map is definitely showing.

Here it is with the normal map turned off, you can see there is a big difference.

nonormal.jpg
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8