Home Technical Talk

Odd mouse behaviour when starting 3d max for the first time since booting pc

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Yozora polycounter lvl 11
Hi, recently I been having some problems with some side-by-side configuration thing with xNormal, which I googled for hours and couldn't find a fix for.

xnormal.png

Anyway after installing a bunch of visual c++ redistributables, dx runtimes, .net frameworks and bunch of other stuff I know nothing about, it seemed to have messed up my 3d max, causing some kind of error when starting it up.

So I reinstalled 3d max 2009 64 bit, and that fixed that problem.

But after reinstalling with 3dsclean, my MMB (middle mouse button) no longer worked in max. Googled it, made sure MMB was set to pan/zoom in the preferences, no luck.
Reinstalled again, this time I didnt bother installing 3dsclean just in case that was the cause, but it wasn't. MMB still didnt work in max and the MMB was working fine everywhere else.

After a few hours trying a bunch of stuff, I ended up plugging in a old mouse just because I ran out of things to try. And amazingly, it fixed it! MMB worked in max after plugging in old mouse!
When I unplugged old mouse and put my current one back in, the MMB was still working!

So I was glad I finally fixed it. But the problem is that this keeps occurring after a reboot. Every time I reboot I'll need to plug in and out old mouse just so I can use MMB in 3d max. So I tried reinstalling max again for like the 5th time but that didnt help either.

Anyone know why or how to fix permanently?

Also does anyone know how to fix the side by side configuration thing? Theres quite alot of stuff you can find on google but I tried everything people said, including looking at the manifests and ensuring I had the right versions of the right dlls, and of course reinstalling xnormal so many times that I lost count - oh btw its only xnormal 64 bit that doesnt work. 32 bit still works. I also tried installing the latest 3.17 beta 5 which didnt help.

NINJA-EDIT: Installing the old xnormal 3.16.13 fixed the side by side config problem. Sucks I cant be playing with the newer versions, but at least I still have my beloved xnormal :p

edit#2; how come when I edit the title in the advanced edit page, it only edits the title in the thread but not on the forum? :/

Replies

• r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    I know its a pain in the ass but did you try a third mouse. your software really shouldnt be able to affect your hardware like this. What version of windows are you running. do you have a programmable mouse perhaps. it could be the drivers for that which are causing problems. I've had many issues with logitech programmable mice.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh yea forgot to mention, I tried uninstalling mouse drivers and downloading the newest ones, along with logitech setpoint 6 (I was previously using 4.8 when the problem occured).

I'm using windows 7, 64 bit.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had to ditch setpoint all together as it wouldnt play nice wil Silo. It might be something to try disabling. Other than that im at a loss
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm but the weird thing is I've been using setpoint and max for literally years with no problems :(

But I tried it anyway, disabled setpoint on startup, restarted, and MMB still doesnt work until I plug in and out another mouse.

EDIT: Apparently I didnt have to plug in another mouse! All I needed to do was plug my current mouse into another USB port... wtf? :o gonna try rebooting with my mouse in a different usb port~
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    are you plugging into a hub or anything like that. have you removed your other usb devises and tested without them?
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nope, no USB hub...

After rebooting with my mouse in a different usb port, it still didnt fix the problem.

The good news is now I can just change the port to fix the problem without bringing out a 2nd mouse. That is also the bad news, because I shouldn't need to do this all the time :p
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    The Rule : Never Ever Install Mouse Drivers.
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    I've ALWAYS had problems using Setpoint with Max. I think last time I tried it, the material editor took like 20 seconds to open each time. Weird stuff.

I've been using X-mouse to map my mouse buttons for a few years now. WAY better than bloated Setpoint: http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark wrote: »
    I've ALWAYS had problems using Setpoint with Max. I think last time I tried it, the material editor took like 20 seconds to open each time. Weird stuff.

I've been using X-mouse to map my mouse buttons for a few years now. WAY better than bloated Setpoint: http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm

Just tried it and its missing a couple of buttons (mines a "11 button" mouse including scroll up/down/left/right) :(
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AHA I found the problem. After trying to pull out all usb devices, reinstall all their drivers, delete setpoint and just "living with it", I finally found the cause!

7plus messes up my middle mouse button (in 3d max only)
    There are various MMB hotkeys in this little app, and I've tried disabling them all but it still messes up my max. The reason the problem gets fixed when I unplug mouse, is because 7plus automatically disables itself for whatever reason after you plug in the mouse (or wacom) again.

If I just manually close 7plus then the problem goes away.

I'd just like to point out I did reinstall setpoint/uberoptions and am/have been using it with max perfectly fine for years :)