Home Technical Talk

Special Effects

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
d1ver polycounter lvl 14
Hey there, guys!
I'm in need of some advice here! You see, the project I'm working on right now is coming quite close to wrapping up our modeling and texturing stuff. But we are pretty low on effects and instead of looking for someone to fill the position we decided to reassign an artist to do some FX. And that artist just happens to be me=)

So currently I'm trying to dig up as much info on making special effects as I can. And my internet seems to be hiding all the information from me. But instead of destroying it this time I decided to ask felow polycounters.=)

The bottmline is:

I need quality info on VFX creration. Not obligatory realtime since our engine uses sprites. But I'm planning to learn the hell out of this oppotrunity, so realtime techniques we'll be greatly appreciated too. Plus they are really much harder to find. The style of the game is cartoony, but everything is properly modeled and textured to look 3d. I doubt "cartoony 3d fx tutorials" are so widely spread, so once again, any quality info that you find usefull will be greatly apprecited!

Thank in advance guys! I've already started digging into 3ds Max particle system and seems really interesting and deep. It's a pity you don't see much much fx going on on the forums since there a lot of great guys doing damn good jobs out there.

Btw, once we're done with the game I can promise you a nice Pimping thread with all the stuff I've done with your help.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have particle support in your engine? You can do a ton with particles, so much more than just sprites.

What kind of shader support does it have? For FX at a minimum you'll want additive blending on transparent sprites, gives you "hot" effects like fire, explosions, flares, etc.

You should get together with your graphics/rendering engineer and get them to spill their brains about effects with you.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey, Eric, thanks, for such a quick reply! I'll try to shed some light on things I know, so it would be easier for all of you guys to advise.

We're making an IPad\Pod\Phone kinda game so all our stuff is made of sprites. So technically I can render anything on them. The question is what is the best thing to render.
    And thanks for mentioning additive blending, I'll be sure to check out on that!

Don't hesitate to throw in any kind of info you've got. If we'd be able to collect some solid FX knowledge here I just might edit the first post and maybe someone would make the thread a sticky.