Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jagex art test/homework (low poly)

Nistrum
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
Hi, I have taken it upon my self to take a shot at the Jagex art test i thaught id start with the "DIY" asset you have to create.
in total there are 3 assets a troll creature, a bookshelf and a 3rd which is a weaponof your own creation

the limit is 250 tris and 128X128 diffuse

the hammer is 244 tris and obviously the texture is 128 the rather crude wireframe will be disposed of for a better one soon

Untitled-1.jpg

im looking obviously for crits but most importantly any help on improving my textures at such low rez..

Replies

• JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Post them flats dude :)
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Handle is way too thin imo, texture looks ok for the size limits.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice work it is tricky using only a 128x128 texture isnt it! I did that same art test last weekend :) havent posted up my weapon yet, wasnt sure if I should considering other people are probably still applying but I guess its a personal weapon of your own design so it probably doesnt make a difference.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    yeah that handle would definitely break off with a top that heavy. Upscale that bad boy 1000%
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defiantly scale up the handle id broaden up the damage on the corners of the hammer too, to hard to read at that texture size if you don't over exaggerate things, im doing this one this weekend myself haha, funny to see others with it too, I think its cool how they set it up. with the 3 parts.
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome thanks guys. im just hoping that i might be able to up my game a bit. if im going to get looked at id like to make sure i put in a good effort :)

:EDIT: to save on a double post..

hammertime4.jpg

also on the advice of someone rather helpful i think i might change the dwarven head as it is very similar to a mythic concept sheild.. i like the design but i think if its a test of my origionality it wont bode well if it looks too similar to something else :)
  • Drumonman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The head of the club seems a bit too big in my opinion. Not by much, but maybe scale it down a wee bit.

The club head could use some more damage detail too, around the club face area especially, and the metal that wraps around the club face, might help too if you made that a little more worn out.

It looks good in the sense that it's not 100% clean, but you might wanna add those extra damage details to push it more.

Perhaps not every hit connected with the enemies face, some attacks may have been parried (cuts or dings in the metal) or maybe it hit a shield sometimes (more overall wear on the club face).

I hope this makes sense and was helpful, I'm nearing the end of my college program so my brain doesn't work 100% right now.

Overall looks pretty good. You have a good point with the dwarf head, it doesn't look bad, but at first glance I just saw an emblem, didnt even notice it was a dwarf. Maybe keep the emblem idea, but make it something else.

Keep at er! :D
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeh there is a TINY ammount of damage. problem is at 128 you dont have alot of pixels to play with. i have to texture on the damage over the corners (you see the beveled corners?).

in other news.. changed icon.. what do you think?
    hammertime5.jpg

also i gotta run out. but when i get back ill post the flats :D sorry totally forgot :P

also jason nice to see you here. since we both got done over the the aero astro thing :/
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    It looks nice. However, this part of the art test is essential:

"Detail
    Due to the engine providing our players with both textured and un-textured version of the game, all models need to look good without any textures. This means any intricate details will need to be present on the model itself. Colours
    Use separate bands of flat colour to add gradients & shading to models. "

^^ Remember that. Any other advice that I might give you could give you an unfair advantage against other applicants so all I can say is good luck.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Can you post your texture? If you're having such a difficult time getting detail out of a 128x128 you might be able to work your UVs a little better. It would be easier to say whether or not that's the case once you have your layout posted.
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warhammer01.jpg

i put the WF on top so you can see the layout a little clearer.

wow seeing the image in actual size brings home how little space you have lol
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Alright- this'll be interesting. Here's a few things I think you can do with the geometry you have now-
    testxpe.jpg
    The areas in red could overlap the yellow-green - the area in blue could be straightened out and make a flat ===
    This is just a guess on my part- I can't tell if you have a cut in the middle of that big chunk on the left or not- if so, then that could overlap as well. Once you have all the overlapping pieces you could take a face or two and put it in your new room and add some battle damage >:)

You could do more, but you'd probably have to adjust the geometry for that.