Home General Discussion

7Plus - Awesome free program

Hello sirs.

Last night I was browsing thru my feeds on goggle reader and found a cool app on LifeHacker called 7Plus.

Basically it was written in AutoHotKey, which means that it automates lots of tasks using windows programs.

For me personally I think the best feature is the hability to take screenshots automatically and send them to a specified ftp folder, and then it copies the url to the clipboard.

Here's the link to the project page. And some youtube video.

http://code.google.com/p/7plus/

Replies

• Japhir
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    EYE CANCER!

looks usefull (if i'd have a website).

thanks for posting!
  • Pedro Amorim
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    sounds very handy. i just don't believe i could remember all those shortcuts. and if i did, and even uninstalled the program, i wouldn't remember how to use Windows. :D
  • Yozora
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I read that feed too and tried using it to see if I can replace my FastStone Capture for image sharing.

They both have the ability to "printscr and upload to ftp and copy url";

Pros (and cons) of each as an image sharing app:

7Plus:

* Is free (faststone capture is shareware, costs $20)

* Lets you type in the file name for each printed screen (can be a pro to some, can be a con to others)

FastStone Capture:

* Multiple customizable hotkeys for print screening that does different things (print scr for full screen, alt+printscr for active window, ctrl+printscr for cropped area that you specify and also has freehand crop) - 7plus only lets you do fullscreen and active window, and it uses different hotkeys (stuff like win+insert for active window capturing instead of the alt+printscr a lot of windows users are used to).

* Saves to multiple locations, so it can auto upload to FTP AND save to a separate folder for easy local access/viewing without needing to use any bandwidth. Can also be used to save to dropbox folder.

* Lets you save to any format easily (7plus defaults to .png unless you specifically name the file xxx.jpg, etc). This is useful because .pngs could end up being like 4-6MB whereas with a custom jpg compression setting the maximum file size could be no more than 1mb for any image.

* Automatically saves the files in a sequential format (can be a pro to some, can be a con to others)

* Can also record your screen like fraps/camtasia, so thats 1 less program you need (but then again for screen capturing purposes you may be better off using the free ScreenToaster instead - unless you want to save the video locally and edit it of course)

* Comes with a editor to edit stuff before uploading

There is also this for Dropbox users;

http://wiki.dropbox.com/DropboxAddons/DropboxScreenGrabber

Pros:

* Its free.

* It uses dropbox instead of FTP, more secure and dropbox is awesome.

Cons:

* Only saves in .png, doesnt seem to be customizable

* Hotkeys are less intuitive than both 7plus and Faststone capture

* Can't name the file or give it a naming convention

* One of the "known" problems are: "If you are using multi-monitor setup you can only capture screenshots of the primary desktop." - this sucks.

* You need dropbox running as well as this little app. Those of you who have dropbox running anyway, this aint a big deal I guess. Personally my main use for dropbox is sharing images quickly - and when it comes to speed, faststone capture/7plus are both faster.

Oh one thing worth noting, 7plus is actively being developed whereas the other 2 have kinda stopped. So even though for now I'll stick to faststone capture, I'm expecting to switch to 7plus soon...

Since were talking about upload+auto url copying, I might as well mention Jing.
    It can be used to upload to FTP and dropbox as well (and it copies the dropbox url). But if you dont have FTP and dont like dropbox, then you can make a free Jing account to store your images. Also has an editor thingy so you can draw stuff on it before uploading.
  • mLichy
    I can't get that 7Plus thing to work with my FTP. For hostname do I put in http://www.matthewlichy.com, or my ftp://ftp.matthewlichy.com? It keeps getting a connection error, and I know the user and pass is right.

Or might it be the port #?
  • bounchfx
    looks super awesome. Thanks!