Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Watchmen's Rorschach

Hello polycount =)

I'm using this project to learn Zbrush. I've been playing around for a good 3 years with Max and only recently started taking things much more seriously because I felt it was time (I'm 17 now) and since I want to be a character artist I figure it's time. Please comment. crit the hell out of it etc.

ipd3yh.jpg
mcdzj4.jpg

Replies

• xk0be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glove still sucks, worked on the other parts ... Something about the glove from the front view is just destroying me but I don't know what. Maybe fresh eyes tomorrow will help..

Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aside from him having tiny hands, there's really not much to comment on. I suggest posting again at a later stage, and for now just using lots of reference, and overlaying a skeleton onto a screengrab of your model to double-check proportions.
  • mathes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    His palm doesn't look long enough. On the last image, you'll want to pull his fingers down a bit.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Oh man Progg, I just sat here and laughed for a good 5 minutes. Thanks for that.

xkobe-His neck seems a bit long, but is hard to judge at the moment. Tiny hands yes. Good start!
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    the guy has no face, so you'll really have to make everything else look perfect
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Here's what I'm seeing:

- tiny, tiny hands, as was mentioned
    - going off the crease in his torso as a rough approximation of hip position, his legs are way too long. Rorschach was not exceptionally tall, and even for an 'average' human this sculpt has very long legs
    - shoulders and elbows need a LOT of work. Check your anatomy references.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Love a good rorschach! I made one a few years ago, still have it in my portfolio.

But yeah, the anatomy needs a lot of work. Tiny head, long torso, short arms. But it's a great start and I'll be keeping an eye on it.
  • JeremyRM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JeremyRM polycounter lvl 8
    See if this anatomy guide helps, one thing I notice is it might be easier to figure out proportions if you remove that hat. You need to think about the forms underneath the clothing if you really want to sell this guy.

This page is from Andrew Loomis, all of his books can be found online, as they are out of print.
  • xk0be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the replies guys, it really helps.

@MightyPea - I'll keep that in mind for the future but I'm glad I posted this one so soon because I learned some invaluable stuff about using refs and male proportions thanks to you guys :D
    @Progg - lmao, but its sad because its true.. and I didn't even notice just how bad it was until I saw Jeremy's post=(
    @P442 - Planning on it!
    @Garagebay - I hope it's better.
    @Chaos - Fixed I think.
    @SkyleBones - I checked it out, looks great! You should texture him :P
    @Jeremy, thank you it helped a lot. I'll find those books tonight.

Untitled-1-2.jpg

Gonna have to always use reference now, especially While I'm modeling/sculpting.. I hadn't really looked at anything since the start of the project. I think I fixed the proportions or at least got on the right track.

Some fixes I already have in mind (Please tell me if there are incorrect ones):

In the front/side/back references of him that were drawn by somebody, he is about this bulky... In pictures of rorschach toys and comic books he seems to be way more slender, and from the few screencaps I've found of the movie he's just about in the middle of these 2. I don't know where the line is between following references and having him look strong and mean like a superhero and just being plain inaccurate and going away from the Rorschach character though. Any help would be nice but it seems like it's something I personally have to decide on.. Legs much thicker in side view, bulkier front of shoes (another reference issue), pose (go back to the walking pose?) , bigger head and hat?
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice start! Keep the length of the coat in mind, aswell as the way its curves and where it curves, sometimes the middle part of a coat can be somewhat below the waist.
  • xk0be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks I'll try and make the coat more curvy like it'd be around a body tomorrow, I'll have to find some new pics of coats on regular people since the reference I was using is about in this shape.

Long time no update, been working on it every day but it's always just trying stuff and then re-doing it. Fun stuff, but I am here with some slight updates..

Untitled-1-4.jpg

From what I can tell here at this beautiful time of 3:33 AM the hand is still stiff and the coat needs the pockets and certain details, but besides that it really seems like either its me or Rorschach with his simple clothes isn't very pleasing to look at without wrinkles...

Definitely gotta fix the pants, they have no shape can't believe I didn't notice until now and are the hands still small?? I know it's not really a big enough update to post so I apologize but I just want to have the biggest/hardest? part in the wrinkles to do after everything else is good, I'd hate to start over yet again. :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    skinny him up, a lot...
  • xk0be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi no update I'll keep them more spaced out now, I'll post updates when I get much further along. Just have a question that keeps coming up... Really 2 questions, but the 2nd might not be appropriate, I'm not sure.

I'll be going to Uni next year and I need to select a major.. First off, what is this called? Game design? Art? 3d Modeling? The paperwork I currently have gives me the option of either Arts, Media and Communication or Engineering/Computer science. I obviously don't want to be a programmer but I mean 3ds max and stuff might just be 3d engineering or something.. Haven't really found something concrete with searching, maybe someone who is or was in this place recently can help.

2nd question... I'm practicing for game art, and I at least think I have time to continue getting better. However, salary is kind of an issue for me.. The only stuff I've been able to find is from 2006 so it's probably changed considerably... How much can I really be looking at coming off what I've got going now which is really not anything special, factoring in 4 more years of practice/experience if I were to join a game studio? Same question for free lance and same question for movies.. Just in the ballpark.

Thanks a lot to whoever answers either of these questions. And I'm sorry if the 2nd one is not somethin you can talk about here, just ignore it if so.
  • xk0be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    20k2dkk.jpg

I don't know if I'm right in saying this but it seems like every update I make, the one prior is complete crap and totally wrong. Even though my updates don't update That much. I mostly spend time taking small steps then re-doing it, but I'm done with high school now so I'm ready to put in a lot more time. Anyways here are the issues I am having with this current stage:

The lapel is just totally wrong. I haven't had any luck making the pockets in ZB, so those 2 things make me want to re-do the coat. If I did that, it would send me back at least 3 more days on my already month+ long journey even though I know I'm not getting any job unless I can make full characters within weeks. And I haven't even begun unwrapping and texturing (2 things I know 0 about). Awesome. I'll fix the lapel though, I've already got an idea of how to do it. Still stuck on the pockets but we'll see.

Pants folds suck, I have been looking at references after I did them, I'll re do them tomorrow. It would be easier if I posed the guy like one of my refs so I could copy the major folds, but I don't know if I should do that. Feels like sweeping the problem under the rug, will see tomorrow.. Hands feel small as well, shoes might be big?

Please shoot away about those things and everything else. I think the biggest step in this model is when I got a nice amount of crits which caused me to fix proportions and start using more refs, I could really use some more pushing in the right direction but I know it's just about practice.
  • xk0be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2h6rkb5.jpg2h6rkb5.jpg

On the left is what its at now, the right most is way earlier today. I don't know if I like the middle more than what I have now =/ Going to rework the hands a lot tomorrow as well as the pants position, besides that I know something is off but fixing it has not been terrific. No 2 pics of this guy from the front looks the same, it's ridiculous.
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    give it them folds! thats what zbrush is for, to really bring that detail that you cant in other programs.

Look at pictures, alot, on folds for everything, you might need to have a few tries, but if you want this to be as badass as you think it deserves, that is what you will do.
  • xk0be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying out Mudbox, I think I like it more than ZB at least so far. Here's where I am at, going to finally begin sculpting folds and details tonight.

62270137.jpg
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've posted 9 images of basically the same model, so far. You can fiddle with the base as much as you like, just don't expect good comments on your minute tweaks. Show us this model again once you've made some big progress, or are really stuck on something!

I don't mean to offend, by the way, it's just that you seem incredibly hesitant to go to the next step. For instance, switching software before you've done any real sculpting, what made you do that?
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you probably didnt miss these details ut i just want to point it out.2d8qn3k.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Mighty, get crackin on sculpting, you'll probably botch it horribly the first time as almost everyone does. You'll get some feedback and you'll improve. But you gotta take that next step and stop dinkin around, way too much stalling.

Are you planning on using the base mesh as the final low poly? If so, you need more loops around the shoulders to help with deformation. As it stands you might want more loops anyway because it looks like they will smooth quite a bit ruining your sharp shoulder.
  • xk0be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @MightyPea, na it's not like that at all. I've been hesitant to SHOW my next step, but I've been trying to sculpt most of the thing over and over for a couple weeks just trying to get my head around clothing folds and all. I just wanted to know the basics of all the programs but I ended up actually liking Mudbox, makes more sense to me, but I'll probably have to learn ZB anyways if I go to gnomon or whatever school. I don't think the program really matters I might be wrong but I'm just trying to understand what I actually need to do for it to become the level I need it to be.

@marl, what?

@vig. I botched it horribly multiple multiple multiple times, just didn't wanna show it. I try not to post until I feel its showable for a few days because to be honest it just feels kinda weird, after my updates I'll get a "good start" or something on this forum and others, but a week later I make some proportion advances and that old one looks like a piece of crap I dunno if I am just being overly hard on myself or what but honestly you guys can destroy me, be honest with what you think I need to do.

51630544.jpg

Still not happy with the folds... There's really no exact reference I can follow, more practice and I should have it though. I'll come back to the pants for sure, after I try the gloves, mask folds and some coat work.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Sure there's reference, there's "suit pants" "rorschach" "raincoat" "pants folds" "rorschach cosplay" and "Google".

Just post an image of what you've done and how majorly you think you screwed up. Then we'll steer you. Doesn't have to be perfect, doesn't have to be polishe, just needs to be posted.

What you have right now, on the pants and sleeves is way too subtle, but the tie/scarf looks about right. Don't be afraid to push the model around a lot.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Agree with Snader (did I say "agree" with you in other thread today, Snader? lol), that's what -I think- a common problem with a new user afraid to "destroy" the model with some extreme pushing and pulling model (at least for me). Just do more and smooth it later.

Here is a quick paint over in PS with your latest update~

editmd.jpg

It's not perfect, just want to show you that you need to sculpt more folds for it to make looks "real" and show some actual "change" in each of your update. To be honest I see your first and last update not showing any obvious progress.

Btw, what do you mean by:

"I'll get a "good start" or something on this forum and others, but a week later I make some proportion advances and that old one looks like a piece of crap"

I thought that's the correct way of working, you don't want your today work is looking the same with your yesterday work..aka no progress.

PS: Well I don't recommend jumping around different program too much just to make 1 model (its ok if it just Max for modeling and ZBrush for sculpting, or other combination of course) because sometimes it make your model screw up.

_Revel