Home General Discussion

Autodesk 2011 Trial Barrage

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Woop! Grabbing the Maya 2011 trial now, I wanna try out the new UI and stuff...
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    anyone mind expanding the url and keep me from getting lost on the autodesk site? ....cuz here in china people think URL shorteners endanger world peace and thus banned them. thanks!
  • mattz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://usa.autodesk.com/products/free-product-trials

• robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    http://usa.autodesk.com/products/free-product-trials

That's what the bit.ly link goes to, hope that helps
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Can't seem to download, don't know why. The installer.exe shows a bar onscreen for like a second and then it vanishes and nothing happens :<
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah spamming false info for a trial download :D
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Mudbox demo is there, but I find it actually say which version it is. Just the mudbox trial. I got 2010, wanna try 2011.
  • oglu
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Too bad there seems to be no 64bit Max available.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks oglu. I had seen that link, it just doesn't tell you what version it is till you run the installer, and get things moving. Not sure why they'd do that, but whatever. And yeah, it's 2011.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hah, I notice an image of one of Mashru "MM" Mishu's models made it into the installer for Maya 2011, nice! :)
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Just gave the Maya2011 trial a go, really liking the new UI. Screens a bit more crowded, but nothing compared to Max 2010. The syntax highlighting is also a welcome addition.

But I cant tap the spacebar anymore to go into 4-panel view, and viewport 2.0 seems to only be for viewing sense it wont let me select components in it :(

Will give the Mudbox2011 and Max2011 trials a shot later.
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 7
    imo if you haven't tried them already especially mudbox you miss out on the best ;)
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    I heard Maya 2011 has some new 3dsMax-ish modeling tools, anyone tried them out yet?
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Well, sorta. Modeling wise they didnt add much, just spin edge, bezier curves, and component connect (but their were already scripts for it, all of which had more features). Also, scale tool now works in object/local/world/normal, so thats a welcome addition.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    PolyHertz: I haven't had any issues with Spacebar, it works fine here like it always has...

Yeah, for Maya 2011, the Scale tool changes are a nice one. I didn't notice too many new modelling features unfortunately.
    The new UI is lovely though, it's super fast and smooth, feels more responsive than the old one too. The new icons are much nicer now, it feels like a more "artistic" application already. And proper draggable dividers for the side bars, at last!

The updates to the Script Editor are great, it's not longer just a glorified Notepad! CTRL-Space command completion is nice, they fixed the issue with multiple-selected lines not being able to be tabbed, and syntax highlighting has been a long time coming. It's finally turning into something usable... heh.

Viewport performance in the default view is about 40% faster for me in large, complex scenes, which is nice. The Viewport 2.0 view gives me 300fps in a scene that usually runs at 30fps! Although, as mentioned (they even point it out in the Help), it doesn't display component selection (although you can select components and edit them still, it's pretty damn difficult to do any work in this view).
    They mention it's primarily a previewing tool for very large scenes, which is fair enough I guess. Still, it'd be nice to have all those things in one viewport mode, but I guess you can't optimise hugely and still display everything you want :)

Those are my initial impressions, anyway. It's a shame they didn't do some other changes I was hoping for (why can't you right-click on Shelves! wtf! perfect place for a context menu), and the Marking Menu editor still doesn't allow you to edit the default context marking menus (which seems like the hugest of huge oversights to me). Oh well, some other time...

Now, where's the Maya equivalent of Ken Pimentel? :)