Home General Discussion

Linked In Questions

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
Hello. I've just set up a Linked In account a few days ago because I'm going to have to make one sometime. I've run into a few problems and have a few questions that hopefully you guys can clear up.

1. I don't have any official work experience in Game Development because I'm not 18 yet and I'm not ready to look for a job. Is it alright to put the mods I'm working on in my Current Positions thing or should I wait until I have a professional experience to put in there?

2. Since I'm working on my own time to further my education should I just leave the Education section empty? It seems like studios might be a bit less likely to take interest in someone with an empty education section but the portfolio speaks more than a degree.

I thought I'd have more questions but I guess I don't right now. Anyone else feel free to post their questions about LinkedIn in this thread.

Replies

• Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    I've seen people list mods in experience until they get more. I think it is a good idea given that the mod is good quality and isn't just something you made up to fill spots.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    The mods definitely aren't fillers. I'm planning on putting both of them on my Portfolio when it comes time to make one. I'm not sure what to put for Company though. One of the mods has a team name and a website but the mod I'm running doesn't have a website or a team name. Should I just leave it empty or give a link to the ModDB page once I make one?
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Listen here , ASSHOLE, you better be legit experienced and the real deal before you make a LinkedIN. And by asshole, I mean vcortis. Can you believe this guy?! Posting all the time, trying to kiss ass. I swear.

All jokes aside, LinkedIn is great for keeping in touch with people because you can always look them up no matter how many email addresses changes. That's it's true value in the long run. Because, it's a very small industry and you want to keep in touch with those whom worked the best.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    what happens to the ones you want to shun?, like adam....
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    he's like herpes, you can't get rid of Adam, he continuously shows up
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    he's like herpes, you can't get rid of Adam, he continuously shows up

on your crotch
  • mathes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What are your guys' opinions on LinkedIn etiquette? Do you only add people you've worked with? Do you add HR for companies you're especially interested in? What about fellow PC'ers etc who you wish to keep in contact with, perhaps people with similar jobs that you'd like to share knowledge with?
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I mainly add people I work/worked with and anyone I meet at networking events, I use it like FB where people just add 500 peole as their friends. ive had a couple HR people add me after sending me an email requesting resume/cover letter. i try to keep my account as professional as possible.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mathes wrote: »
    What are your guys' opinions on LinkedIn etiquette? Do you only add people you've worked with? Do you add HR for companies you're especially interested in? What about fellow PC'ers etc who you wish to keep in contact with, perhaps people with similar jobs that you'd like to share knowledge with?

My linkedin is people i've worked with personally, or people i know reasonably well from polycount, generally people i know well enough to know their real names and click "add"!
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I find it useful for seeing what artists work for a company so I can get a better idea about the skill level of the staff. Its also really useful for finding out who the HR people are who might be looking at your stuff.