Home Technical Talk

Looking to buy a new GFX card

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
shotgun polycounter lvl 19
Right now I'm running a Quadro 370, which is pretty mediocre. I'm using it primarily for PS and MAX, though I'm not even sure the card effects 2D performance. I play games pretty rarely, but I want a card that can handle the latest... just doesn't need the strongest. Any suggestion?

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    My 9800GT 1 gig vram works really well on new games still, they are pretty cheap, too

$90 for this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133304&cm_re=9800gt-_-14-133-304-_-Product
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Bang for buck go ATI (I don't even like ATI cards).

But if you are rocking a Quadro370, then what kind of case do you have? Because those are meant for tiny machines.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Don't get ATI. I experience all kinds of weird glitchy crap in Maya and Photoshop with my Radeon 4870. Never had these problems when I was using a 7600GT.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    I'm on ATI right now and it's fine in everything. No glitches at all.

If you're doing lots of texture baking and such I'd recommend going NVIDIA for the CUDA stuff. I've heard that increases performance in compatible programs such as xNormal.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, I've completely forgotten mentioning my budget and tech. I can cash out about 250$, maybe even a lil more of it's really worth it. Tech-wise I've got a Hetis G31 MSI case, which is one of them tiny ones, yes. Might get problematic but that's what I've got!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    yeah it might be hard to find something to fit in there, and heat could be an issue, but at least your wont be spending that much on a card :P
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    You're gonna have to find a low-profile videocard, and those are usually a premium just because of the size. Low-pro cards are usually fan-less and make very little heat.

I take that back:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&SrchInDesc=Low%20Profile&Page=1
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd expect the small dimensions increasing the value since it's gotta be packed tighter, but judging by the prices there's a considerable quality-loss there, isn't it? High-end gaming is likely not an option with these cards then.

Well with such low prices I can pretty much go for the high-end of low-profile cards... it seems the Radeon HD5570 is all-around recommended.
  • hijak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Id seriously consider getting a case if you plan on getting any of the newer gen graphic cards. They are huge for one. and they also put out a ton of heat. My brothers 4870 burned out in under a year after having been put in a similar case. It is just too crammed to effectively cool and it just builds up, then cools down, cause microscopic cracks each time you use it, then one day it just takes a crap on you, i have seen this with other components as well, a $25 case can help prevent this. , and looking at your cases layout, you mihgt have a hell of a time finding a card that works with hat motherboard too, it seems that it is not the standard format and that the card will mouth sideways, which i really don't see working with a standard card. Id look carefully into what you can actually use with your current setup before you spend any money on a new card.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks hijak, that's a good point. I'll see what the options are for "relocating" my computer to a more spacious case.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some low profile cards that are worth consideration:

9800 GT $100
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187061

4650 $156
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129144

I would say the 9800 is probably the faster card here, for cheaper. Depending on what CPU/RAM/Etc combination you have, a 9800 is a very good card. I've got a q6600 quad core, 8GB of ram and my 512mb 8800 GT is a good enough card for absolutely everything i do. Now if you've got a pretty old dual core CPU, and not much ram, you'll probably be better off going the new case route and getting more of a powerhouse GPU, but at that point, you may jut want to look at building a new system(i know, blows your $250 budget lol, but seriously, throwing a bunch of money into an old system VS building a budget system that will kick your old system's ass is something to consider).

The 9800 may be a bit underclocked compared to a full size card, but still likely decent performance, and a much better option. Actually it looks like its got standard clocking at 600/1800. Which is funny, because the full sized sparkle 9800 that sells for $10 more is clocked at 550/1375.

So, if i was u, i would probably just get the 9800 GT, see if it does a good enough job and if not, return it and look into other options.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Personal recommendation: If 3D work is going to be the majority of your time and you don't want to blow the bank on video cards, go with Nvidia. I'd suggest GTX 260. If you have a huge ass display or money, maybe a 285.

If gaming is more your cup of tea then go with a Radeon 5770. Maybe a 5850 if you have a big monitor/money again. ATI works fine with Maya and stuff most of the time, but as you see on this tread, your mileage varies depending on the card and driver version. The non FirePro series cards just seem to be finicky. They still work though don't misunderstand.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just bought a GTX 285 and while it is an awesome card (both gaming and 3D work... also PS is GPU accelerated if you're running CS4) it is also huuuuuge. Huge to the point you can't get a HDD in the front of a Midi Case at the same level lengthways, and you won't be using any PCI slots either side of it due to the depth.

Of course this may be standard for GPU's but I've only built one system so I can't say.

If it is an option, I'd consider getting a new case, and something like a GTX 260, you can get a decent case for like $40, and the GTX260 is still an awesome GPU.
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    +1 on the gtx 260, great bang for buck. I'd of gone higher if i had the cash but i can run every single game at top specs, runs max / zbrush / xnormal etc all sweet, no bugs, no problems for me thus far (over a year)
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 7
    +1 on 260

about 9 series i am not so sure. .i read in forums and reviews 8800GTX was still faster than all 9 series.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you can find a low-profile 260, you've got a point. Until then the 9800 that was posted is the fastest low-profile card you can find(on newegg atleast), which is important if you've read the thread. =)

As far as 8 vrs 9, the 8800 GTX and 9800 GTX give you virtually identical performance(the 9800 being a hair faster), except that you cant really buy a 8800 new GTX anymore, and the 9800 gives better heat/power usage. IF you can find a 8800 GTX new its $200+ while the 9800 GTX+ retails for like $100-135, which is a pretty good deal all things considered(a 260 runs you $220+ or near double, for significantly less than a 2x improvement in performance). Weather the 9800 is faster than the 8800 is moot, when you compare the cost of either and the performance of either to a 260, its a good value card. The 9 series more replaced the 8 series than knocked it on its ass, but its all fairly moot, and the only thing worth talking about is price vs performance, which in today's market, the 9 series kicks the pants off the 8 series.

That said if i was building a workstation tomorrow, i would likely grab a 260 as its a pretty good price for the amount of performance you get with it, unless i was on a strict budget, then the 9800 GTX+ would be very attractive.