Home Technical Talk

Need to animate a lot of different characters (custom rigs) quickly and roughly

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
noktek polycounter lvl 7
Hello everyone. I'm a game design student and i'm currently working on my BA project, its been proceeding quite well till now.Most of the sculpting/modelling/texturing is done but a great incognita has shown up recently: animation. And the time is running out, 6weeks to go. I know this might be the wrong place to ask since its more of modeling/texturing oriented but i havent found a more pertinent forum to ask yet, so hope you will all excuse me.

Ive been doing some rigging in 3dsm with bones and skin modifier in the past, even thou it takes a while i have an idea of where to start. What really leaves me clueless is the whole animation story, ive been doing some "placeholder" animations but they really are just ugly placeholders and theres no way i manage to make em look better in a short time within 3dsm.

So basically what i need is either another program (maybe motionbuilder? poser?) or some free, already animated "skeletons" to start from, beginning from scratch would take too, tooooo long. Ive been looking (shortly) into motionbuilder and biped/quadruped thing seems good but quite complicated, and the fact that i have strange, custom rigs to animate does not help.. (a satyr-> hoof, a wolf with long paws, an octopus).

I shall be able to animate all my character to a decent level quickly leaving room for polishing later if theres time left.

So if theres anyone that could help me with an easy way out or some tips on which app i shall look into(times running, user friendly interface is a huge plus)...
even a comprehensible tutorial for 3dsm/mobo would help.

best regards
R.

Replies