Home Technical Talk

Chuggnuts UV Tools - Where to find?

PredatorGSR
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
I keep seeing reference to Cuggnuts uv tools for max in lots of threads, but the site doesn't exist anymore. Does anyone know where I could download the tool from? Alternatively, is there another tool that has replaced it? I've already checked out TexTools.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• yiannisk
  • PredatorGSR
    Offline / Send Message
    The link on scriptspot links to his homepage for the download, which no longer exists.
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Cuggnuts script is dated and doesn't work proper anymore with recent versions of max. Someone here at polycount fixed it to make it work though and provides a alternative download link:
    http://fearthedevil.com/words/?p=117
    download link:
    http://fearthedevil.com/words/wp-content/files/2009/07/UnwrapTool_1.6.zip

Though the modified version of TexTools there is already dated as I included already his improvements several versions back (macroscripts with icons and some of MZP fixes).

Chuggnuts I believe added tools to better rotate, align and shift selections that are typically needed for game UV layouts. But it all was still floating value based.
    In TexTools I tired the same but instead translate everything into pixel units and a flexible coordinate system that can behave more like the one in Photoshop for example. Most of the transform and align stuff (so similar to what Chuggnuts provides) can be found in the Transform toolbar in TexToosl:
    transform_floater.gif
    Also many of the tools are selection context sensitive so depending on your selection it will behave different. Like the Align buttons:
    texTools_ani_transform_align.gif
  • PredatorGSR
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the link. I primarily wanted to check it out to see what it has in it, TexTools is pretty good, but I only find a couple of tools that are useful for me and I'm not a big fan of the toolbar.

I'm coming from a Maya workflow and am finding that Max's uv tools are really lacking when it comes to my workflow. Primarily the lack of a decent unfold based on world space coordinates (relax by face angle is ok, but doesn't work in a lot of situations that Maya's unfold does), but the biggest thing that is killing me is the lack of a move and sew function that will work on multiple edges at once. The inability to stitch multiple edges is crippling for a hard edged workflow. Plus I would love the ability to be able to see if a UV shell is flipped.

I love the unfold by smoothing groups function though.
  • Electro
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Move and sew (maya) = Stitch (max)

Yeah? :)

Also, of course it works on multiple edges, even face based selections (although I tend to just use edges as selecting faces may grab elements you don't want and stitch them)

There really is a lot of useful stuff renderhjs has done in textools, definitely worth taking the time to look at them all properly.
  • PredatorGSR
    Offline / Send Message
    I want you to be right, but I haven't experienced that. What am I doing wrong? If you do stitch selected on a single edge, it will move the pieces together and stitch, which is what I want. But if you select multiple edges, it will stitch them without moving the shell, so the uvs will stretch instead of the shell moving into position. Also if you select multiple edges and an edge can't be stitched, some funky stuff will happen.

Right? or am I missing something?
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I want you to be right, but I haven't experienced that. What am I doing wrong? If you do stitch selected on a single edge, it will move the pieces together and stitch, which is what I want. But if you select multiple edges, it will stitch them without moving the shell, so the uvs will stretch instead of the shell moving into position. Also if you select multiple edges and an edge can't be stitched, some funky stuff will happen.

Right?
    From what I recall its limited to stitch and move only 2 shell elements together - any greater number results into what you described.
    There was also something related to non stitch able edges or selection types which caused a ignore of the stitch command.

Thats why I changed the stitch tool in TexTools ico_stitch.gifto that extend that it filters in a first process only selectable verts of the input selection and then tries to stitch and align them. For example if you right click on that tool it will select only stitch able edges, which also works if you select faces or inner verts of a shell.
  • PredatorGSR
    Offline / Send Message
    Would it be feasable to write a script so that if you selected multiple edges it would store the edges in an array, deselect them, then go through the array and select each individual edge, run the stitch selected command, deselect it, select the next edge, etc ? That way it would get around the tool limitation, but the user would get the same result.

I vaguely know how to do something like that in mel script, but haven't taken a look at Max's scripting system or how the uv tools work.
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    yes possible somehow, the tricky part might be to determine the edges that are already stitched because they were a counter pair of a already evaluated edge. Because the edge array would change with every stitch operation and so iterating by a loop would be impossible because it would change all the time.
    So in other words you would need to transfer that selection to something constant like the Geometry edges (though they can share multiple edges in the UV) or some other idea.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Plus I would love the ability to be able to see if a UV shell is flipped.

Edit UVW window > Select menu > Select Inverted Faces. Then you can mirror (flip) them if you like.
  • PredatorGSR
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, thats one thing down. Yea chugg tools had some useful stuff like spacing the vertices, but barely anything worked in 2009. I think my best bet is probably tweaking tex tools to include only the stuff I'll use. Thanks for the help everyone.