Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Elite desert soldier specops guy dude

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
East polycounter lvl 14
So, I was looking at Sam Fisher in the Splinter Cell Conviction demo, and playing some Bad Company 2, and noticed that, "damn.. I, too, want to make some stripey pattern functional material clothing!". So, I devised this plan to make a top, elite, cool, Sam Fisher-ish guy dressed for ops in a desert-y area, and after a couple of weekends on and off I've come up with this.

I just added the skullcap and realised, "oh fuck's sake, he looks like some kind of desert snowboarder!" so now my plan is to finish adding a few more bags, a holster and a pistol, maybe some clever communications thing, and then see if I can't make it a bit more dirty..

agent_render_01.jpg

Now, I did a quick paintover and added a beard (this is going to be really popular what with the new Medal of Honor game, so trying to get this done fast..) and non-realistic camouflage paint, and damn if he still doesn't look quite a bit like a stupid snowboarder dude, with highlights in his beard, but I think it's kinda in the right direction..

agent_render_02.jpg

Any comments and crits are welcome. If possible I like to avoid too much camouflage patterns just to keep him not too noisy, but if this snowboarder thing persists I might just have to give it a try!

Replies

• zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    A baseball cap is actually of more use in the desert, or a brimmed hat, like the ones the marine corps guys are usually seen wearing:
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v264/120/50/787684348/n787684348_501642_3370.jpg

Some more pouches, and of course weapons!
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks for the feedback :)

I made a quick test with a brimmed hat, and it seems to be working out pretty well. Just need to add a bit of variation to the fabric, maybe a few air holes and such..

agent_render_03.jpgagent_render_04.jpg
  • proximity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    proximity polycounter lvl 9
    yeah deffiantely looks better with that hat maybe sort out the rim tho so its not so erm symetrical :) really nice character tho, think the trousers look amazing
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks amazing man great work. I'm kinda envious of your ability to just go 'oh BBFC2/Splinter Cell is inspiring me... I'll just knock up a character which looks like it coulda easily been in either'.

Just a quick question, how much of the boots did you model before taking them into ZBrush? From the lower SubD level shot it looks like they were modelled pretty close initially. I always struggle so much with footwear in ZBrush and would be interested to know how you got yours looking so good.
  • Spatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    nice modeling...
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    proximity Yeah, it does need to be a bit less symmetrical, doesn't it? I'll take care of it at a later stage when I make everything a bit less clean. It's easier to manage things at this stage if I don't distort things too much, but I'll get to it :)

creationtwentytwo Thanks for the kind words. This is what it looks like when I bring it into ZBrush. It's just the lowest subdiv level right now, so it's getting quite affected by the higher ones, but I hope this gives you an idea.

What I do is I sculpt just a basic boot. Pretty much what you see in the image below (the actual main foot part), export it and bring it into 3D-COAT where I use the retopology tools to lay out the extra stuff, and then bring those into Maya to thicken them up, add the holes for the boot laces, etc, before I bring them back into ZBrush and add the actual texture details there. Hope that helps.

agent_render_05.jpg
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Looks awesome overall. The face looks over anatomized though. Its kind of taking from the rest of the model for me as they make him look cartoony
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    hmmm the head might be the weakest part , i know this is supposed to be stylized etc, but the facial features are waaay too defined making it look like someone who came out of a plastic surgeon and not good looking at all ( at least imo ) , the hat is also a tad distracting now , just makes it harder to look at the face and to focus on it , the simple solution you had before worked better.
    I dig the overall feel of the character and the acessories he has , nice one !
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a great help thanks, in fact that's a hell of a lot of help. Using retopo to build parts so they're shaped to the mesh is an awesome idea, many thanks for taking the time to go through that!
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    r_fletch_rJohny Yeah, I nabbed the head along with the hands from a char I was working on earlier (pic below) and have scrapped, just to speed things up, and that character was intended to be more "out there" in design and proportions. I'm hoping not having to rework it too much if the beard comes out well. Good point about the hat there, Johny, I'll take it to heart :)

agent_render_06.jpg

creationtwentytwo Glad I could help :)

EDIT: LOL, I just realised there's a slight likeness...

agent_render_07.jpg
  • IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
    The way you did that boot is pretty interesting i never thought of it like that, but the brim, and i think overall of the boonie cap is to thick.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    The way I do the boot isn't the most optimised since you end up with a lot of hidden polygons that are just wasted, but for the purpose of using it to bake maps to apply to realtime character models it works justs fine.

Yeah, the hat is too thick, but I tend to do that on all garments that stick out into thin air as it makes it easier for me to bake the normal map (right now I probably won't have to worry about tweaking xNormal's settings so the upper and lower part of the brim won't pick up details from each other). You'll notice there's no detailing along the edge in this case, just so I can easily make just the low polygon model thinner once the textures are done.
  • Spatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    can you tell please how you made the pattern of the brimmed hat...do you sculpted it in zbrush...you achieved it very clean, i´m just wondering how to do that...
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    I'm really interested in how you did the clothing as well, it looks so clean.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    that looks really good
    how did u do that fabric texture?
  • torontoanimator
    incredible dude o_O i cant believe how detailed you got the mesh to look
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I make UVs for all my basemeshes, and I apply a texture to it in ZBrush with a pattern and convert it to a mask.

All right, so I decided to start on a gun today, just because the next step is to model the holster and position it on his chest. I've only attempted modeling a gun once before, since I'm not a weapon/prop artist, and it's proven to be one fucking ballache so far.

It's obviously missing some things that I haven't had time to put in, and as I'm stepping up in levels I now need to model in the details on the back of the slide, as well as fix the grooves on it that are way too deep. About halfway through the modelling process, I think..

Oh, it's a Glock 19 by the way, and while I'm normally receptive to suggestions, any comments on why this and that pistol would be better will be met with a very childish and defiant, "oh shut it, whydontya.." :P

agent_render_08.jpg
  • zeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good, im not sure if this is regulation or not, but interesting colour break up:

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/9465/glock19od01rf7.jpg

personally i think you should mod this baby up a bit:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/1770732overaccesorized.jpg
  • Spatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    East wrote: »
    I make UVs for all my basemeshes, and I apply a texture to it in ZBrush with a pattern and convert it to a mask.

Thanks for the tip...:thumbup: