Home Technical Talk

A little workflow treasure in max which not many people are aware of!

yiannisk
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
yiannisk polycounter lvl 7
A great tool that max has.. and not many people use it.. in fact i bet many think it's pointless and useless :)

so they never noticed that it is now slightly broken but still very much usable and in exactly the same way.
It takes a few extra words to explain how and why use this instead of WP, but it is much easier to use than WP and more flexible. In fact super fast!

I thought everybody was using it.. i mean it is a feature since max 1 ... and when i saw the WP i said bah useless and people were asking why.. i have even mentioned this to other experienced users and they were pleasantly surprised with what they had and why they were not using it this way :)

OK WHAT IS IT?
It is the screen axis set with transform coord center. (the 3rd option) TRY IT!

workflow_tip.gif

SO WHAT?
you got a pivot point right in the center of your screen always there always locked in a 2d plane.
in 2010 it will unfortunately for a while follow your object but when you release the button it will go back where it belongs; to the center of your screen. Until version 9 it was always solid as a rock :) maybe in 2K8 and 2K9 as well but i think along with the changes in viewport code this got affected and nobody bothered to fix it.. unaware what treasure it really is :)

WHY?
This practically allows you with only panning or orbiting, to place your pivot point anywhere and any angle you might want. Not by moving the pivot point, but by simply moving around your viewport. You can rotate\scale\translate fast and easily around any center without the hustle of WP having to relocate it every now and then at all. just pan ;)

WHAT CAN I DO WITH IT?
Putting those arms down from T pose to 45 degrees or simulating bone functionality for posing simply by using soft selection.. won't be risky anymore or require anything more than simply go screen with Alt + RMB and place your center accordingly :) and pretty much anything you can do with WP.

Replies