Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Babylon Environment

Hello fellow polycounter's!

Decided to post up my project ive been working on and get some C&C from you fine fine folks. Im in my SR year of college and will be graduating in about 4 months or so. This project is gonna be an unreal level that i am making for my portfolio class. This is my first real time creating a real game environment.

This project is a continuation from a project i started in my world building class, but since that time ive really learned a lot and decided to re-do most of the assets and really polish em out. All my teachers tell me that the only way to grow as an artist is to practice and surround yourself with other talented artists. I believe that completely so here i go.

enough Jibber jabber!!

The concept/idea im rolling with here is a a re-creation of the ancient city of Babylon. Time frame is going to be during the biblical kingdom of King Nebakenizer (supposed maker of the Hanging Gardens). for concept and references im going to be borrowing from recreations of the city and the Ishtar gate (Berlin museum) and as many historical sources. Anything that i can not find im going to be borrowing from the cities of Istanbul and Jerusalem as well as some pictures i took while visiting Egypt this summer.

My immediate focus right now is to create a small section of the wall and procession way leading into the city through the Ishtar gate. if time permits later in my next portfolio class, ide like to extend my project inside the city walls recreating a section of the city and the hanging gardens & ziggerat.

list of objects:

Modular wall Pieces:
-Top and bottom with at least 1 variation
-Horizontal and vertical diving pieces to hide tiling and break up the wall
-top "hiding pieces" not sure what there officially called but places for archers to hide and shoot at attackers
-Guard Towers
-Second wall" behind the first wall IE Babylon's famous double/triple walls

Ishtar gate:
-2 part gate with a smaller and larger gate connected
-unique wooden door based off time period and wood of the region
-possible sculptures if time and talent permit

Procession way:
-Statues or wall reliefs of lions, dragons, and bulls
-Elevated walk way bordering the eurphrates (tigres? forgot which one bisects the city lol)
-"paved" road
-torches?

Other objects:
-carts
-jars
-sacks of grain
-palm trees or other native species if time and talent permit
-sand piles and other decals to add realism
-flags and banners

im sure i forgot some of the stuff i wanted to put in here but ohh well ill remember it later lol. Gonna start posting some SS of my progress shortly. any and all Comments and critiques on my work/concepts are most welcome and wanted.

Replies

• Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    It's good that you are thinking ahead about what you are going to need before you start.

One suggestion i have for you:

Build everything in low quality in your 3D app before yo start your production props. By low quality, i don't mean blockout meshes, i mean build them like you were only trying to figure out the modularity for your environment. This way you will be able to catch several mistakes that you possibly would have made later inyour production schedual. This will also give yo a good idea of the aesthetic of your level, and also has the possibility to inspire new, more unique designs.

So before you post any finished prop, i'd like to see a rough of your level. If you do that, i guarantee you'll thank me in the end.
  • Eltrex06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    totally right on virtuosic. when i first started this project back in world building class my teacher told me the same thing. unfortunately i didn't listen as well as i should have and i ran into soooooo many problems.

ive done most the low stuff to make sure all the modular pieces fit together and work out correctly together (actually where the dividing pieces came from in order to solve my tiling problems i kept running into)
  • Eltrex06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, would have had this up sooner but between work and school didnt really have time.... so anyway worked on the wall section for a while and got some progress to share. again any comments are most welcome.

hp: without the bricks
    79386593.jpg

Brick Sculpt:
    hpbricks.jpg

LP: 206 tri's total not including the triangle pieces which are about 44 a piece
    lpwire.jpg

LP & normal with Xoliul's Shader:
    lpnorm.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    take it into zbrush and add cracks. then bake.