Home General Discussion

Mari, Texture Painting at 32k!!

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
Holy Texture density batman!
Seems to be the tool used on Avatar, estimates of a price ca. €500 (sweet)
The application allows hundreds of production textures to be painted on a model, but rather than be limited to just a static neutral pose, you can import an animation sequence and still interactively work on the texturing. This is important as seams and stretching can often only appear when the character or asset is in motion in a real scene, which is exactly why Mari has this feature - it is a direct result of Production requests from the original Weta team.

dl_image.aspx?fn=Mari_Avatar_Screengrab_Banshee_400.jpg
http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/pkg_overview.aspx?ui=3366FFA1-E59B-4772-9BB3-94F496491576

http://www.fxguide.com/article604.html
* a clean and intuitive GUI
* fully customizable brush engine
* paint through and clone brush (between layers and textures)
* smear/drag brush
* paint canvas transform, grid warp and free-form ‘pin’ warp
* blur and sharpen
* advanced ‘healing’ brush for seamless removal and duplication of texture detail
* overall grading and high end filtering

that there is everything i use photoshop for.

Replies

• PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Holy Texture density batman!
    Seems to be the tool used on Avatar, estimates of a price ca. $500 (sweet)

I think you mean euros cool software though wonder if they will release demo
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yeah sounds like it could be impressive. I dont really understand how you export maps from this software though? they mention projection cameras in the document dont know if thats the way they display all the texture information in maya/max/ whatever they use and I assume you need a pc with like 20GB of ram to get the most out of this.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Man, for such high resolution maps.. you think they would make the pictures bigger in the pdf... not to mention remove the utterly horrible compression.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, for such high resolution maps.. you think they would make the pictures bigger in the pdf... not to mention remove the utterly horrible compression.

Yeah, I laughed when i saw them, especially considering the clarity of the interface shot.

Those huge maps probably went straight to renderman as a memory mapped format. I cant image how a renderer could handle them otherwise.
    They say 1 gb Texture memory and 2-4gb ram will run it just fine.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    They say 1 gb Texture memory and 2-4gb ram will run it just fine.

yeah and apparently mudbox 2011 runs on these specs

Intel® Pentium® 4 or higher
    AMD Athlon™ 64
    AMD Opteron™ processor

* 2 GB RAM
    * 650 MB free hard drive space
    * Certified hardware-accelerated OpenGL® graphics card

well to be honest it might run but it probably wont actually be useful on that rig
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    This looks great, with the ability to load animations and go between frames, this should be really good for eliminating texture streching.

UI looks nice and clean too and dosent cost an arm and a leg.

Makes you wonder why Autodesk arn't developing stuff like this and just keep rolling out the same software every year with minor updates!

EDIT: Theres a small preview in this months 3DWorld.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged wrote: »
    yeah and apparently mudbox 2011 runs on these specs

Intel® Pentium® 4 or higher
    AMD Athlon™ 64
    AMD Opteron™ processor

* 2 GB RAM
    * 650 MB free hard drive space
    * Certified hardware-accelerated OpenGL® graphics card

well to be honest it might run but it probably wont actually be useful on that rig

MB paints beautifully on my Macbook pro. 2GB Ram 2.5 ghz processor and mobile graphics. Multiple layered 4k no worries.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    MB paints beautifully on my Macbook pro. 2GB Ram 2.5 ghz processor and mobile graphics. Multiple layered 4k no worries.

surprising, seems like I havent had the same experience as others have. Anyway we will see what mari holds in store :)
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    More 3d painting apps is always a good thing, most of the ones out their atm are either glitchy messes, or have workflow issues, or lack many basic features (or a combination their of).

Look forward to trying this out once its released.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    What does this bring to the table that Bodypaint doesn't already do? You can preview animations while painting in bodypaint as well.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Probably 32k maps
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 7
    where are you going to use 32k maps?

this is obviously something designed mostly for huge cg matte paintings.
    other tools we already use can do pretty much the same or in fact a lot more.

mudbox loads rigged meshes and you can pose the limbs as well as save different poses in layers.
    and can do a lot more.bodypaint has more painting features.zbrush sculpts and textures as well and can do a lot more. oops forgot photoshop.

This is an impressive by numbers but very specialized and limited tool.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    In films I guess. Not very useful for game development though.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    What does this bring to the table that Bodypaint doesn't already do? You can preview animations while painting in bodypaint as well.

Easy to understand interface, runs natively on linux.
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    are you kidding? I'm planning on hooking up my playstation 6 to the theatre screen and busting some skulls in god of war 14 so I can see all the 32 k glory!
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Reading through the 3DWorld article its seems it's main strengths are it's ability to load massive amounts of texture's at big resolutions.

It also states in the article that it has been tested by games folk and its a "new marketplace" for them. Hopefully we see some game specific stuff in the future.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    well... single 32k textures are probably not what's interesting to game art. but having your whole scene in there and painting directly onto it - with layers - could be nice.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Cyrael wrote: »
    are you kidding? I'm planning on hooking up my playstation 6 to the theatre screen and busting some skulls in god of war 14 so I can see all the 32 k glory!

I guess I should have said it's not useful for game development NOW. Someday we'll have 32k textures on everything! If I'm correct IdTech4 already uses textures that large for very large terrain surfaces but not on tiny props or characters.
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    hahah I was just kidding, I can definitely see them being extremely useful in the near future, with the rate technology increases I'm sure it'll only be a few more years before 32 k maps are standard, and yes it would be awesome to be able to interactively paint your entire scene onto a single map. And definitely a nice program for a solid price.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I'm more excited about the fact that there are more of these kinds of apps getting about. It pushes the developers to improve their products and potentially make them cheaper to compete with their rivals. Which is great for the end user.
  • ghib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Oh gawd Bodypaint is horrible. Navigation hell. Mucho Brush lag. Pain
  • dregoloth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael wrote: »
    hahah I was just kidding, I can definitely see them being extremely useful in the near future, with the rate technology increases I'm sure it'll only be a few more years before 32 k maps are standard

i'd give it atleast 10. it'll take a few generations for consoles to reach that kind of hardware, even though PCs will reach it a generation before. also, we need virtual texturing to be further refined.

also, if id tech 6 is all that they're hyping it to be (what with the virtually no polygon limit), than we'd be able to truly do the textures justice.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    I'm more excited about the fact that there are more of these kinds of apps getting about. It pushes the developers to improve their products and potentially make them cheaper to compete with their rivals. Which is great for the end user.

Or Autodesk will buy them out and screw us all
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    In regard to functionality, id dont think there will be much between the 2 applications but isn't Bodypaint $1000?
    If this is really going to be €500 then that is some really stiff competition right there, which is great for consumers. :)
    yiannisk wrote: »
    where are you going to use 32k maps?

this is obviously something designed mostly for huge cg matte paintings.
    other tools we already use can do pretty much the same or in fact a lot more.

mudbox loads rigged meshes and you can pose the limbs as well as save different poses in layers.
    and can do a lot more.bodypaint has more painting features.zbrush sculpts and textures as well and can do a lot more. oops forgot photoshop.

This is an impressive by numbers but very specialized and limited tool.

Though you can have 32k maps, it doesn't mean you have to use them...it would work perfectly fine with 2 or 4k right? :P
    Theoretically you can create 30k maps in Photoshop but nobody ever does lol

What im trying to get at is this...If you buy a 300w stereo, how often are you going to actually play music that loud? The more powerful the stereo, the cleaner the audio is at lower volumes because you have such a massive amount of head room for everything to breathe.
    Realistically i dont think that anyone other than places like Weta or ILM are going to use 32k maps for a long long time, but it nice to know that you can go much higher than you will ever need without your system dropping dead. :)
    dregoloth wrote: »
    i'd give it atleast 10. it'll take a few generations for consoles to reach that kind of hardware, even though PCs will reach it a generation before. also, we need virtual texturing to be further refined.

also, if id tech 6 is all that they're hyping it to be (what with the virtually no polygon limit), than we'd be able to truly do the textures justice.

Did i miss a memo?
    Idtech 6?...Do tell! ^^

Well, all in all, i have to say that this does look pretty sweet and the Weta guys certainly seem to have a talent for creating good software.
    First Mudbox and now this?
    Thats a pretty good record right there :)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To me its positive because..

1: great feature set. their list covers my workflow for texture painting totally without the need to continually drop a projection into photoshop.

2: They're claiming this can handle extemely high resolution textures a high levels of interactivity, that implies to me that anything I'm going to throw at it wont phase it at all. Im hoping for something that lets me work without too much slowdown as the layers pile up

This is all conjecture until we can actually use it. if nothing else it will plant a boot up autodesks arse :)
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 7
    oh it absolutely is a positive move! But for a future tool perhaps. Or in a different workflow.

Numbers are very impressive. we artists are thrown "gazillion of polygons and dozens of megapixels texture sizes" and we are easily impressed like little kids. Because we are :)

"Extreme nanopolygonal vectorized sudivisional picosurfaces that generate trillions of polygons and we can take it" Beat that!!!!

it's like going over 32bit colours...pointless...

Would you be using these advanced features in any part of your workflow? (assuming you work for games)
    I am talking about the GB of textures and trillions of polygons. The rest exist in current applications as well. Many studios well known too are still working with 3dsmax9! or even photoshop CS2. why? Because what they do doesn't require an upgrade.

A typical model\texture workflow will be covered and improved greatly by viewport canvas right now not having to send a model out of 3dsmax for texturing at all and not having to spend an extra dime for a separate application. To me, viewport canvas is potentially a true revolution when it comes to streamlining game asset production.

Or if it doesn't really work as advertised :) photoshop mudbox et all handle AMAZINGLY well.
    You think it is because of that tool that avatar looked that awesome? I don't.

As a potential tool for future workflows with super tessellated DX 11 environments for gaming with mega-textures perhaps if we had such workflows, IF, that would be quite useful.

I bet next year they will come up with something even better version than this. With tools we might actually need and use. Lets just wait and see how future unfolds. It is indeed a very promising beginning.
  • cptincognito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    idTech5 already has some brush painting that works on ~128k textures, across bump/spec/diffuse. Not really the same thing as this, but worth noting.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s0Ft7-fdsw&feature=PlayList&p=B0685DCFAAC92E9D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=3[/ame]

This example is for editing terrain textures, but since all textures (model/character/terrain) are stored in the megatexture, you could potentially have per-animation frame textures stored for a character. The biggest reason for not doing so in games is texture loading, which is what MT solves.

I could be wrong about the animated texture stuff, I haven't really seen the stuff in person, but based on released info I assume it's possible. Anyone that's got some real experience with a virtual texturing system are welcome to correct me on this.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    32k is a big number for sure - but in practice most movie res work is done using a lot, or rather, a LOT of 2-3K texture pages. One creature might easily have up to 20-50 such texture pages which means many different consequences, like lots and lots of seams. As far as I know it's the preferred method because any operation on such a small current page can be done fairly quickly, and usually you don't need to affect more then 2-3 pages at any time.

As for Bodypaint, it gets kinda unstable after passing a certain amount of textures. It still doesn't like anything above 4K, and as I've heard there's some trouble with proper 64 bit support as well. Not sure on the specifics, being a modeler, but we sure stress it regularly with our stuff and it's still just game cinematics and not movie levels of detail...
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    goggles.png

UI looks nice and clean, uses QT so it should be very customisable.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did anyone else notice the grading options for the brush i wonder is that the alpha falloff curve or an output curve for the image
  • wetashmeta
  • PolyHertz
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    PolyHertz wrote: »

Fuck me..500 quid for all that gravy....<long whistle>
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus wrote: »
    Fuck me..500 quid for all that gravy....<long whistle>

Indeed, that video make it look awesome. 500 pounds is very different to $500 listen on fxGuide. I wonder which it will be.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    the ability to bring in animations seals the deal for me, this is great.
  • Wheel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, it looks pretty awesome in the fxtvguide vid. It should fly on an average spec system at game resolutions.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah the animation feature will be a lifesaver
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    looking very promising for sure. i'll hold my breath until i can try the paint/smudge tools and see what kind of layer blending etc is in there. these features or better their lack of or a weak implementation in some 3d paint app usually make me go back to photoshop rather swiftly.

good to see that they guys developing this (just like the mudbox ones) seem to take quite some inspiration in functionality and interface from the good old studiopaint 3d. now that is an app that does deserve to be revived. :)