Home Technical Talk

AO MAX PROBLEM

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
waedoe polycounter lvl 8
so I created an image to help illustrate what is going on, so here it is, if you have any more questions please ask, this is really bugging me.

205f5w2.jpg

Replies

• Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    "up in marmo and the uvw map and stuff you see those problems where its light and darkens and its like it missed that part i dont know why please help its killing me and my progress!"

i totally vote that as worse sentence in the universe. i'm no grammar Nazi.. but man i have no idea what you are talking about.
  • Mark Dygert
    I have no idea what the problem is (maybe circle it?) but I can suggest a few things.

1) It's set to automatic unwrap, change it to "use existing channel"
    2) Switch your render-er to Mental Ray, delete the lightmap entry and add Ambient Occlusion(MR)
    OR
    2a) Leave it on scanline and switch it from lightmap to diffuse map, then check on lights and shadows.
    3) Be sure to check on render to files only. Then plug the files into your material manually.
    4) If you're trying to project the AO from the high poly down onto the low poly? On the low poly go down to element mode, hide all, then bake.

EDIT: Oh are you talking about the light areas on the bars?
    I think its because your projection cage is clipping into the wall mesh.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Why not just fix it in Photoshop?
  • mLichy
    Just hand paint it in. Not sure why's its doing that... are your verts on those bars not welded to the other geo?
  • glynnsmith
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    You're getting the white bands, on those [ shape meshes because your geo is clipping through your wall (in your Max shot).

Either move your baking mesh so it doesn't clip, or fix it in Photoshop like everyone else has said.
  • waedoe
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    "up in marmo and the uvw map and stuff you see those problems where its light and darkens and its like it missed that part i dont know why please help its killing me and my progress!"

i totally vote that as worse sentence in the universe. i'm no grammar Nazi.. but man i have no idea what you are talking about.

Yes you are right... sorry, I got a little excited i guess and was rushing before i had to go out to dinner. What i ment was where the bar meets the side of the mesh and it creates the variation of shadow. ill check all the options that have been suggested. I do have the bar going through the mesh should i just have it floating ontop of the wall surface rather than going through it?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Making it end at the surface is generally better than going thru it, since it also helps avoid z-buffer artifacts. But it's definitely easier just to leave it as-is and paint out the errors.
  • Ott
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    To fix this AO problem, change your white AO material to be two sided, and anywhere where two pieces of geometry intersect you should get straight black on the underneath, embedded areas of your render.

Once that is done, you might still have to do a tad bit of cleanup on the AO for the bars themselves, but it should get rid of the majority of the white highlights where objects intersect.