Home Technical Talk

Max UV Reset Question

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
I know this is a really simple problem to fix/avoid but I'm not a really experienced modeler. Hopefully one of you can tell me how to fix it.

Whenever I UV a model and go back to editablePoly it seems to reset the UV map. Returning to UnwrapUVW acts as if I've just put the modifier on the model. I'm looking for a way to have it save the UV so I don't have to re-UV everytime I want to fix something on the model or edit it for a LOD.

Thanks!

Replies

• r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Unwrap UVW is dependent on the topology of the mesh, so changing the vertex or face count below it will totally confuse it. your best bet is to collapse the unwrap uvw into the editable poly.

You can now edit the mesh and max will do its best to keep your UVs intact. Cuts and connects work pretty well, extrudes will get messy. also removing geometry can be a bit hit and miss (be carefull around seems). If you want to edit your geometry posiition without stretching your UVs then the 'preserve uvs' options is worth a look.

To be honest though its probably better idea to do your modeling first and then UV
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I experienced that too, I just convert to editable poly, that hard codes the UV data, then you can add the unwrap modifier later if you want, and edit your map when necessary.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies.

I'll test out the preserve UVs and going to a new editablePoly instead of reverting back to the old one.

The main reason I needed this info now though is because this model I'm working on will need 2 or 3 LODs and going back to edit it and having to completely re-UV it each time a new LOD is finished is tedious.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I always collapse the stack when i make changes to the model to save the uvs into it like fletch said.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    might be worth looking at the projection modifier. im pretty sure it can transfer uvs from model to model using mesh projection (so between arbitary meshs)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I might test that out but I think your previous will be fine for my current needs.

Anyway I have a new problem. I may have hit something by accident but now none of my hotkeys will work. Instead of being able to press W/E/R to switch between Move/Rotate/Scale I have to click the icon. The hotkeys do nothing at all. I know this sounds stupid but is there some hotkey that I hit that disables hotkeys?
  • Eric Chadwick
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaah. Thanks. I don't know where I'd be without you Polycounters!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    might be worth looking at the projection modifier. im pretty sure it can transfer uvs from model to model using mesh projection (so between arbitary meshs)
    Could you expand on this a little?

As far as I know, you use Render To Texture to transfers maps and surface detail not UV layouts. The projection modifier aids in this process and won't actually transfer UV layouts.

Normally the only UV's that matter are on the destination mesh, the source mesh can be whatever jumbled mess it needs to be as long the surface looks correct.

So if you're trying to get the UV's on the destination mesh to match the source RTT and Projection Modifier won't get it done, unless I'm missing something?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    Could you expand on this a little?

As far as I know, you use Render To Texture to transfers maps and surface detail not UV layouts. The projection modifier aids in this process and won't actually transfer UV layouts.

Normally the only UV's that matter are on the destination mesh, the source mesh can be whatever jumbled mess it needs to be as long the surface looks correct.

So if you're trying to get the UV's on the destination mesh to match the source RTT and Projection Modifier won't get it done, unless I'm missing something?

I just tested it to be sure. You can indeed transfer UV's between meshes with different topology with the projection modifer. What i did was create 2 clylinders both with a different number of segments. 1 with uvs 1 without. Put the projection modifier on the 1 with uvs add the one without to the objects list. press project.
    the other object now has a projection of the uvs. be warned the results are a little crap. its Nowhere near as good as GATOR in XSI
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh hey, cool trick! Too bad the results are pretty hit and miss.
    Sigh... ahh max some day...

Gator has this but better huh? I'm going to have to check that out.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    Oh hey, cool trick! Too bad the results are pretty hit and miss.
    Sigh... ahh max some day...

Gator has this but better huh? I'm going to have to check that out.

just for clarity GATOR is an opperator in XSI. Its really very nice. Does blend shape transfer, UV Transfer, Rigging Transfer. Kinda like skinwrap in max but with uvs
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I spent a few hours today trying it out, it seems to be more like Maya's Transfer Maps which is a bit more of a one tool to do it all solution like Gator, but I haven't figured out how to transfer UV's between dissimilar models in Maya yet...

I just couldn't find the flaws in Gator It did what is said it did. It might have trouble morphing two meshes that just too dissimilar, but for the tests I ran, it worked really well. I did facial morph transfer, UV transfer and skin weight transfer and it was all imported stuff so if it was going to choke it had more than enough excuses to do it. But I didn't push it too far past what they outlined so I'm sure it breaks at some point.

It works as advertised and documented, which is awesome. Its also pretty straight forward and at worst a 3-5 step process, which was refreshing. I figured I would throw my hands up after only knowing some basic nav in XSI and that this would be some super advanced thing that wouldn't be friendly to use, but it wasn't.

I can't say I'm a fan XSi but if they're solving more of these types of issues, I might explore it more. For sure whenever I get in one of those tough spots I'll give it a try again. It's faster than doing most of the fixes manually in Max or Maya... so thanks a TON!
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your welcome mate, Give Crosswalk a look lets you seamless work between XSI/Max/Maya. I used it a while back for creating LODS of some characters while retaining all thier setups in max.

I tried to find the demo vids that softimage made to show it off but autodesk arent showing them. hell they dont even list MOTOR or GATOR as features:poly142: