Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP new site design

MoP
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MoP polycounter lvl 18
Hey folks,

Still nothing really that interesting to post, just thought I'd run my new site layout and design past you all to see what people think.

http://www.greveson.co.uk/temp/

All hand-written in PHP and CSS, I've also set it up to allow different styles if you pass a "style" parameter to the link so I can quickly prototype new layouts "live" without breaking the old one.

The old site was http://www.greveson.co.uk/ for comparison. While I do like that design of the old site, it was not a very flexible layout and it was difficult to extend it to add the new "scripts" section (something I've been wanting to do for a long time).

Obviously it's still WIP, some of the content on there is just random images I found on my hard drive and dragged into the 3D folder (I've got it set up so all I have to do is add a thumbnail and a folder of images, and it'll automatically update the main layout and links).

Stuff I know I need to fix is somehow expand the scripts section to make it more user friendly (ie. screenshots/videos of scripts in action, installation notes etc.), and maybe I will actually roll both of the MEL and Max script pages into a single double-column layout to reduce the number of clicks to get to the content.

Since it's all CSS driven, I can play around with layouts as needed, I might try having a left-hand floating nav bar for example.

Let me know if you run into any issues (I've tested on Chrome, IE, and Firefox and it seems mostly ok), or if you have any suggestions for improvement.

Sorry about lack of new content, most of it is old or WIP, it's mainly the site I want feedback on :)

Cheers!

Replies

• Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Very clean and to the point. I like the color choices. The work looks great and it loads quick.

From a design point the only thing that bugs me is the navigation bar and you name plate line up farther to the left of where the image thumbs are and it reads a bit strange... maybe that is just me. Maybe you could shift the navigation bar over to the right some.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good to me.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Maybe see how it looks with the entire site centered instead of left aligned? I also don't like the fact that the thin separator gets highlighted when a button is highlighted, I think just highlighting the box would look better.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I like it alot. I literally spits art into your face as soon as you see it. Which is great. It's super fast to load to. No useless stuff, very clean.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Nice stuff Paul. Simple, to the point, and awesome (per usual). I think it is a good decision on changing the format. Looks a lot more flexible and comparatively speaking in layout, it is far less busy, which is a big plus.
    Now finish up the jouste-ness!
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I think its efficient but a bit 'corporate-ish' because of the medium blue, medium grey, average font (arial!), the little grey line under hte categories doing not much ... I think you could make it much more BOLD and in your face. For instance when you look at the bike digital marker sketch, this image alone packs more punch (contrast, visual appeal ...) than the layout.

I think the functionality is good, now on to make it badass looking!

Good luck!!
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    clean and simple, very nice. nothing flashy or over the top, just your work which speaks for itself.