Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Gladiator Challenge - vcool

VALVe, obviously.

valveman.jpg

I suck at drawing. :poly142:

Not sure I'll finish, in fact I don't even know where to start now since I have never really tried making characters.

Ideas and tips are more than welcome!

Replies

• vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got a basemesh done.

basemesh.jpg

Not too shabby I think, considering it's my first character.

I will sculpt the head in zbrush, it was too tedious to make a blob on top of the neck with proper edge flow.

I will also remove a few of those extra horizontal edge loops, in Max it looked like it was more even that way but in Zbrush it's noticeably more dense than, say, the arms.

I'd love crits since I'm a newb to characters. In the long run it may not matter since at high subdivision levels small errors may vanish, but for future reference it would be lovely.

ACtually now that I look at it, the legs are noticable fubar. Slightly short and kinda thick, especially the calves. I guess I can fix that in Zbrush.

Also, I should post my insipration for the final character: SUMO WRESTLERS

combat-de-sumo-a-tokyo_diaporama.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The legs are extremely close together which is likely to be a pain when you come to sculpt it. It'd probably be worth moving them apart a smidgen before you hit ZBrush.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    The legs are extremely close together which is likely to be a pain when you come to sculpt it. It'd probably be worth moving them apart a smidgen before you hit ZBrush.

Thanks for the tip!

I did some minor changes, made the logs slightly longer and more apart, made the calves smaller, fixed flatness of the shoulder, and made the hands more curved.

basemesh2.jpg

I'll be making him big soon.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some sculpt progression
    gladiator1.jpg

EDIT: I've talked to a mate of mine just now, and well basically he said that this all looks like a joke, especially with Gabe's face and all.

When I came up with the idea I didn't think it was really that silly or anything - I was interpreting Valve and making something badass in my view. Gabe was an inspiration because for me he symbolizes Valve. I chose to combine it with the physique of sumo wrestlers because they are incredibly powerful and true masters of their art - just like Valve. The other factor was that when someone says Gladiator, you either see Russell Crowe or some ripped superman lookalike. You don't think of a massive 500 kg bull of a man, able to lift you up and throw you across the room. I wasn't intending to poke fun at Gabe, or trying to make a caricature of a armor-clad Gabe fighting something.

I'm not sure how many people thought this was a joke as well, but just to clarify, I did not intend it to be. In light of this revelation to me (I honestly didn't realise how ludicrous this whole thing is until I was told) I'll be getting rid of Gabe's face and most likely have a concealing helmet on there. Or maybe I'll slap on a random face. Either way it won't be Gabe.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'm inclined to think your design is inherently comical, but that isn't necessarily a bag thing. Gabe Newell is a big fat nerd (mucho respect to the man) which is always going to make people laugh. Why not run with it?
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I decided to stick with Gabe after all. Attempt at face sculpt from a sphere primitive:

gabe_sculpt1.jpg

I don't like how that looks tbh.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IT'S CRUNCH TIME!

gabe_sculpt2.jpg

Not really Gabe-looking but since the deadline is tomorrow I'll just make do with this with slightly more detail.

Still need to do the body, armor, pack, crowbar, - damn that's a lot of work to do.