Home General Discussion

unity games are cool - interstellar marines

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
aesir polycounter lvl 18
Unity is just freakin awesome. I think this game as been posted before, but only the trailer. Now it's playable for free online with the unity engine.

http://www.interstellarmarines.com/

I love the trend of going to a web page, letting a game load for 30 seconds, and having a full 3d shooter in my hands.

trailer:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynvsTGKKaiw[/ame]

So, what do you guys think? Good trend or bad? Do you prefer the ole, install a CD way of doing things?

Replies

• Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    I think it a really nice trend. :)
    Have they switched to the unity engine now for the full game?
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Wow.... really impressed!
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    I love the idea of that game. It looks awesome too. Unity engine is too cool.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Wow, at 1920x1200 and full spec that really is beautiful. I'm going to register and play over lunch - thanks for sharing aesir!

I wish I could walk around and shoot 3D models, though.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I dig it. I wish they had the actual game up instead of just the training stuff. But dang That was really cool. I want to kill those Shark Monsters!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Josh_Singh wrote: »
    I dig it. I wish they had the actual game up instead of just the trainint stuff. But dang That was really cool.

I think they plan to ummm sell that part :)
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 7
    they have some really sweet features. like double click on your asset and edit it :)
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    games like this make me think, why couldn't the newest final fantasy (or insert whatever game) be playable through the web like this. It's instant DRM for one. You have to buy a login and you stream the game's levels as you play. You can easily have ads on the site providing additional revenue. I'm sure for huge games you might need to download a giant texture pack or something so you save on stream times. This just seems like a simple solution.
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For some reason this game runs like shit on my laptop, like 5 fps, where as the island demo, which looks to be pushing more polygons with shaders etc too, runs perfectly, at least 30fps.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, I really was surprised at the quality they were able to achieve in the browser. Very impressive, though it was just 1 simple environment with some cut-outs.
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    games like this make me think, why couldn't the newest final fantasy (or insert whatever game) be playable through the web like this. It's instant DRM for one. You have to buy a login and you stream the game's levels as you play. You can easily have ads on the site providing additional revenue. I'm sure for huge games you might need to download a giant texture pack or something so you save on stream times. This just seems like a simple solution.

Probably the same reason console gaming is more popular than PC gaming these days. It's more simple and clear cut, it's a closed platform, you know exactly the performance everyone is going to get, because it's the same machine.

Plus on the average machine, Unity doesn't come close to 360/PS3 level performance.

Don't get me wrong though, it's hugely impressive, and I'm going to play around with it too.

The Island demo is still the most impressive thing I've seen from Unity though.
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scooby - I'm not quite sure why this demo does run so badly on my laptop actually. It's just one room with some alpha planes, and a nice gun and effects. Yet it runs at 5fps on one of my laptops (GeForce mobile, not integrated). The Island demo looks to be pushing FAR, FAR more geometry and runs at least 30 fps. I guess Unity's own devs simply know how to get the best performance from their own engine.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Probably the same reason console gaming is more popular than PC gaming these days. It's more simple and clear cut, it's a closed platform, you know exactly the performance everyone is going to get, because it's the same machine.

Plus on the average machine, Unity doesn't come close to 360/PS3 level performance.

Don't get me wrong though, it's hugely impressive, and I'm going to play around with it too.

The Island demo is still the most impressive thing I've seen from Unity though.

Well developers are going to have to get used to it. No longer are consoles the end all of all gaming. Gaming will be on a tremendous variety of platforms, and webrowser games are part of that future.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    yea, oxy hit the nail on the head. It's not a replacement for consoles or anything else. It's just another platform with it's own plusses and minuses.
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I totally agree with that, but the way you phrased it aesir, I interpreted it as Unity being a replacement for consoles etc.

I know browser games are huge, and growing by the minute, that's the main reason I developed my own 3D engine in Flash.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    haha, yea you're right about how I said the latest FF game. I just think you could still have a large budget title and run it through a browser.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    rumblesushi: Maybe check out the unity website and see if they've got any performance optimization tips?

Seriously though, I've done some work on I guess 2 Unity games now (just a character, a car and some minor items), but have zero knowledge of the performance characteristics of the engine.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    They have a short demo where you shoot stuff in a shooting range on their webpage, it's actually pretty addictive -_- Good shit.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah been playing this for a while, if the demo is that good then I really cannot wait for the full thing.

Especially like that shark thing, why hasnt someone done that before?
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Especially like that shark thing, why hasnt someone done that before?

ahem.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh wrote: »

I stand corrected, although I do prefer the four legged sleeker version.
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    M-Rex ftw .. those puny four legged shark dogs dont stand a chance
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I like unity for the fact that its less time spent on redoing the old engine here and there's and more time spent on making actual games.

please let me know of any other engine where my asset is already ingame as the moment I've saved the file in my 3d application :)
  • Divine Rage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »

Because, and I'm absolutely not the only one, the demo thingie for Interstellar Marines has been loading for 10 minutes and isn't even halfway done. Now, I haven't a clue how it'll look, but downloading levels before playing like that is going to kill me.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The full game is going to be a download it once and its permanently on your pc type game I believe.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    wow! I've played some unity3d games, but this looks and plays awesome!
  • serialkiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Because, and I'm absolutely not the only one, the demo thingie for Interstellar Marines has been loading for 10 minutes and isn't even halfway done. Now, I haven't a clue how it'll look, but downloading levels before playing like that is going to kill me.

and plus they will not get to sell theyr account the same they sell the cd
    and also there still ppl whitout internet and such lol