Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Jacob Norris - 3D Artist

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
jacob07777 polycounter lvl 14
Lemme know what you guys think, this is a basic rough draft just to kind of get my name out there right now and show off my work. Hope you guys like it :)

http://www.purepolygons.com

Replies

• Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I like it, theres actually some nice stuff that your hiding far down the page like the scifi gui panel is cooler than some of the other props above it. love the ejection seat.
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd like a page with just your best pieces, kinda had to dig a little bit. Maybe have a portfolio and a projects page?
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    really nice work. i think the fallen hero scene could be pushed some levels with better lighting. currently it looks like the same brightness at any area of the room. The scene and props are great but the lightning hasn't the same level.
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    I like it man. I think this is a much better setup than what you had before. The thing that bugs me is how the left side bar moves if you click the links about, contact, and portfolio.

Other than that, just nitpicky stuff really. Move your resume into your about page and remove everything you currently have in your about page. Honestly, the most important thing here is your art, and once you get an interview, then the "who are you and what are you all about" comes into play. You don't want to really give all that up right away do you? You do kind of want to have a little something to tell about yourself when you get that interview right? So move that resume into the about page and make the contact page either a "mailto" link or a form on that page that will act as a portal for contact. Don't put your phone number on there either. I don't really know how this is viewed, but for me personally, I think it is not only unnecessary since you will be most likely contacted via e-mail before phone, and also, it is just one more bit of personal information that doesn't need to be revealed on the world wide web.

If you have assets that had highpolys before baking, then show them as their own image, and not a small piece of a larger image like the helmet in the first set. I'd like to see that as it's own image in that set. Also keep it in your "highpoly" section, that's cool, but if it is part of a lowpoly asset that is part of a scene, really make sure you break it down as much as you can. Show as much as you can as large as you can on as many images as you can. You don't want to appear that you are hiding behind any smoke and mirrors. Not saying you are, but yeah.

I agree about the lighting for the Fallen Hero scene. Maybe see if you can amp that up some with a little more dramatic lighting. That Les Paul looks sick man. Good stuff.

Good luck man! You have some good work in here!
  • jacob07777
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob07777 polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks a lot guys. Yeah I really want to rework that Fallen Hero scene and try getting it into UDK. I just wanted something to show for GDC first and now it's reworking time. I think I'm gonna take a lot of the sample sheet style format out for the website and break it up into separate images like you guys were saying. It just looks cleaner that way I think I can really show off my work more. Only a week left in school and then I'm gonna revamp the effff out of this guy when I get some freetime. Thanks for the feedback guys and Happy St. Patrick's Day!
  • snoops3d
    Offline / Send Message
    snoops3d polycounter lvl 12
    Hey man really like it just a couple of suggestions:
    a) I would remove the cardboard box from your prop gallery, it does nothing to highlight your skill set, you have much better work in your galleries.
    b) Consider making the high poly m21 EBR one material color just to make it absolutely clear to the viewer that your model is not implying any kind of material work. Also one material I think allows the viewer to completely focus on the normal details, and not get distracted by the color variants.

But these are just little suggestions... I like your stuff, good work man
  • A.Kincade
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    The site is looking great. Ran smooth. You got some really nice shiznat on there. Really liking the stuff from the UC challenge. Good work man.