Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

: Black Male'ing ::

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
pliang polycounter lvl 17
Made this on and off over the last week, still have a lot to tweak and fine tune before I consider rigging and try out some simple animation with it.

Anatomy wise, I tried matching up to the reference but the legs, nose and hands still don't feel
right.

Planning on having him rigged in an action pose.

Afroman_Front.jpg

Afroman_FrontWire.jpg

Afroman_Rear.jpg

Afroman_RearWire.jpg

Afroman_Face.jpg

Afroman_FaceWire.jpg

Replies

• ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flaringo polycounter lvl 11
    ElysiumGX wrote: »
    racist?

how is that racist?
  • Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is interesting to see the way people see each other.... i wouldn't be calling people racist tho... not based on a model.
  • Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey pliang... i think you got the needed joint topology there for him to be rigged... will you be using biped or something else?
  • AaronF3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, not a bad model but I'm not liking the face. Grab reference of black actors or grab reference of a black person on Google. The face doesn't read well it looks like a caricature of a black guy. The nose is way to big as well as the lips.

Not trying to come of as harsh because i think your modeling does have some potential to it. Good luck.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    COuld we get a shot of the face with the glasses hidden, please. It'd make critiquing the anatomy a little easier.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    How's this racist, really? We're not allowed to model certain things now? It's not like it's completely unjustified anyway, I mean, black guys with guns, where have I seen this before...

50cent-guns.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Ely, sucking with anatomy has never made anyone racist.

Pliang, that anatomy sucks. Find a picture of a black man that isnt this.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Is interesting to see the way people see each other.... i wouldn't be calling people racist tho... not based on a model.

I think when someone posts what appears to be a sambo inspired gang character with the title "Black Male'ing" its not unreasonable to suggest its racist.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where did you get it's sambo inspired? All I can see is a regular african american. Might not be the best representation in terms of shapes and proportions but the man's trying. As far as I know the thread title is supposed to be a pun on "Black Mailing" and nothing more.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    soooo, how about a post with some actual crits....

the bigger lips is ok. but the area around the lips... you`re making him look like he has some gorilla in him or something. you can have big lips without giving him a snout.
  • hijak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i second that, its not so much the lips as it is the area around the lips. sort of like hes got a mouth guard in or something, also the nose is a bit exaggerated, but unless your trying to be 100% accurate i don't see a problem with exaggeration. Since the shading of the face is so faceted it is kind of hard to tell really.

im not really liking the size of the vest though, it just kills the silhouette and makes it feel blocky, id try making it a bit tighter, its more like a life-vest now than a flak jacket.

the anatomy of the neck is all wrong though. The sternomastoid comes together to form that v in the neck. yours is going out to the side so its not looking right.

A few slight tweaks will make this a lot better, but its mostly there, if your using this strictly for animation and rigging practice it wont really matter if its not perfect, because you should be able to rig and animate any model and thats what your employers will be looking at.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    don-cheadle.jpg

Pretty accurate, me thinks.

Not racist.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    okay, i take it back. Plaing this is perfect, no crits, obviously joopson and felip have got this shit on lockdown.
  • AaronF3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry bud, but this is not accurate. The edges of Don Cheadle's nose are farther out than the edges of his lips. In the model the lips are so big they nearly cover the whole entire front of the face. Does Don Cheadle's lips cover nearly all the front of his face? No example is going to make this look accurate.

Also make sure to bring the mouth in because it does have the look of some type of snot.

It's not racist but its reads like a bad caricature.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    @Pliang: Awsome work!! Looking forward to see it textured. :)

@ElysiumGX: This isnt being racist! God!! Where the heck this came from out of the blue on polycount. Seriously you gotta learn to think before you type something. X(

Creating 3d model of an African doesnt mean its being racist.
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    ElysiumGX wrote: »
    racist?
    LOL, I almost fell out of my chair in laughing.

EDIT - I'm black and I don't find it to be racist nor am I offended, but I am still laughing my ass off.

Your anatomy needs some work and that dude doesn't look black and he does look more Sambo than anything. You're generalizing everything to an extreme like you're trying to work purely from memory. All artist use reference, especially the great ones. What refs are you using?

And what the hell does the title mean? What's a "Male'ing"
  • Joopson
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Woah Woah wait. I need a better picture of the face from side, front, etc. From where I was looking, it looked pretty good, but I might be mistaken.
    So, you know, more pics please. Thanks!

Considering people disagree with me calling it accurate; though I swear I have seen someone who looks just like this. Oh well
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm curious as to the purpose of the character in general. He has a bandana and a big watch, which kinda suggests a gangsterish person...but hes got on cargo pants/vest/belt with grenades which is a little more extreme..but his guns....they just look like they are something a pirate would use, not this type of character.

By all means, correct me if I'm wrong, it just stood out like a sore thumb to me.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gsokol wrote: »
    I'm curious as to the purpose of the character in general. He has a bandana and a big watch, which kinda suggests a gangsterish person...but hes got on cargo pants/vest/belt with grenades which is a little more extreme..but his guns....they just look like they are something a pirate would use, not this type of character..

It just seems to be the trend these days with videogames. Hell, off the top of my head: Saints Row, State of Emergency, The Club, Crimecraft, Crackdown, Brink (although I like the stylized art direction and the gameplay looks pretty fun), any of the 50 Cent games...
  • Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gosh... deep in the bowels of polycount... a war still still rages on :)

I THINK ART REFLECTS SOCIETY... now games are art form... expect hip hop and gang culture to be represented... somalian warlords a la black hawk down, check... them the baddie vs us, the "good looking" good guys...

... at some point being PC... comes into it... artists can no longer draw "Asterix" style negro and not expect at least someone to get "into the defensive position".

If you got told to draw a French/English/Chinese person off the top of your head... admit initially... that you may reach for stereotypes... some will have the skill to transcend that and not produce "caricature"... some will just produce art that another nation may be "offended" by.... for many reasons.

Where does it end?.... femanists getting their douchkits out for all the "enhanced proportion" female game characters perhaps... or perhaps a serial killer complaing that Manhunt isnt quite accurate enough, he needs more...

A sick double standard world we draw inspiratation from.

I have a point but no more time
  • Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At the same time... because of the way "people" see each other... "caracatures" help viewers identify... is a fine line, i guess
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asterix style is priceless!
    I might just start a model of the pirate :D
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    i16010234625l.gif

haha/jk...It's looking pretty good so far. It looks like you could play around with some forms and over all proportions a bit more, but you're on the right track. Keep it up man ;)
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    This is a rather interesting thread.
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 7
    I think that you should focus a bit on the silhouette of your character. it makes him feel a bit weak. Especially the thinning knees on a cargo pant which is usually loose feel a bit too tight.
    the anatomy has quite a few issues like the neck for instance which is obvious.

Also a common check for proportions with a biped character perhaps would help a bit.

What are you using as reference?

Overall geometry feels ok. If you do not plan on making the guy more muscular i think the extra geometry at the bicep could be avoided.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
  • gbencharski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think this was meant to be racist. However, I do see how it could come off that way. If the thread was called "Black Male'ing" and it was a decent enough model and depiction of what a black man actually looks like I don't think as many people would of taken offense.

That being said, as far as the model goes it still needs a ton of work. More research and some life drawing will do you a lot of good. Maybe see if you can get in to a session when there is a black male posing and do some portraits.

Good luck fixing this up, and remember to do more research and have lots of reference when you're modeling.

GB
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 7
    There is nothing racist here, is just the fascination of that guy with hip hop culture and his eagerness to learn how to do 3D.

i think instead of discussing a non existent matter which hopefully didn't ruin his intentions it would be nice to provide some useful feedback and help him improve his artwork.
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk wrote: »
    There is nothing racist here, is just the fascination of that guy with hip hop culture and his eagerness to learn how to do 3D.

i think instead of discussing a non existent matter which hopefully didn't ruin his intentions it would be nice to provide some useful feedback and help him improve his artwork.

What makes you think he has a fascination with hip hop culture?

And I wouldn't say he is "eager to learn how to do 3D" either, seeing as he has been a member here for 4 years.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    feet are too small methinks.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Like others have said - Get Some Ref.

The lips look a little stuck on, like a Mr Potato Head. This is a common thing I see with human heads with people drawing/modelling from memory instead of reference. The mouth corners go inside the mouth, and bottom lip tucks under the upper one.

You probably don't need so many polygons in the finger joints.

The images are hard to read too. The wireframe is hard to read against the white background and there is a load of wasted space. Read this: http://www.rsart.co.uk/2006/09/21/how-to-present-your-model-in-the-best-way-possible-for-feedback/
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    You have to laugh at people crying racist, its a bit stupid to be honest. The thread title is "black male'ing", a play on words of "blackmailing" and the character hes made is a BLACK MALE. The shear fact this even had to be explained at all to some members is crazy. Is the world so used to crying racist out every chance it can that even in the modeling medium you cant make a generic black dude without being called a racist? The models got a big nose and big lips, wow, thats a characteristic feature of a certain "type" of face that usualy belongs to people with black skin. Whoopyshit. If he made a a chinese person, would you honestly expect him NOT to model slightly longer but thinner eyes?

When you model things, most of all with faces, you go for features that will make the race in question stand out. I think aside from some poor detailing, hes done a not half bad job on this. Yes, his model has flaws, and yes, its got issues, but thats why he posted here in the first place. I hardly think he made the title and thought to himself "This will piss all those black people off har har, i dont even want crits on the mesh lets start a race war!"

Come on guys. Sort it.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    stfu biggot, you're just justifying racism.

naw i'm kidding, i totally agree with you. would love to see some more progress on the model please.

or is that "nigga pleeze!!!"?

sorry.. been watching a lot of dave chappelle lately :P
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    I think the character at his current state represents more of a caricature rather than an accurate interpretation of an African warfighter. Especially in the face. It's easy to exaggerate ethnic facial features without proper reference. I think subtlety will help sell the character more.

There are a lot of benefits of doing a good amount of research. Perhaps a more complex model like this is a tad bit more than you can chew at the moment. I would suggest working out an appropriate head/physique of your character before focusing on things like his clothes and gear.

The wireframe renders wont always help the presentation either :)

Post more progress :)
  • redmond_david
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redmond_david polycounter lvl 16
    Holy crap, could a mod clean this thread up? I was hoping to see more updates on page 2, but its just more crap posts by people who care too much about shit that doesn't matter.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Could everyone just leave off the "this is/isn't racist" comments. If you have actual relevant comments or critique, then feel free to contribute to this thread.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Dude I'm black and they're is nothing racist about the comment or the model. Lite'n up guys. :)