Home General Discussion

Robert Rodriguez's Predators

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Wells polycounter lvl 18
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f77rFJD00kg[/ame]

I'm fucking excited. Predators killing badasses in the jungle = fun.

the predator dogs look... strange

Replies

• warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    i am getting a bad vibe from this ... but i love robert rodriguez ... so ... i don't know what to think ...
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, if anything, it's better than that crap AVP stuff.

I'm looking forward to this.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    i am confused robert rodriguez is awesome but reboot predator or remake it ???

still il see it
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    horrible job casting this one. just because a so called "big name" wants to do your movie, doesnt mean its the right choice.

i loved the original movie.

/puke
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Hoopla! wrote: »
    horrible job casting this one. just because a so called "big name" wants to do your movie, doesnt mean its the right choice.

i loved the original movie.

/puke

mostly just curious, but what do you think is particularly horrible about the casting? is it acting chops, or the look of them? or do you think that big names shouldn't be attached to this sort of project, that they should promote some unknowns?

keep in mind this isn't a re-make, but more of a direct sequel, whereas the others took the franchise in other directions.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Laurence Fishburne vs. the predator = YES!!!!!
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, if anything, it's better than that crap AVP stuff.

I'm looking forward to this.

+1
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I might get burned at the stake for this, but the original was retarded. Yeah, the idea was almost kinda maybe cool, and the predator itself was bad ass, but the dialogue, the acting, the direction, the whole of the original was sooooo freakin juvenile, it hurts me to think about. When I first saw it, I loved it, but now it's god awful.

I was against this remake/reboot/sequel thing at first, then I remembered how bad the original was, and this can not be any worse.

Try watching predator again, without the nostalgia goggles on, and see it for what it really is.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    rodriguez is a great director..if anyone can pull it off, he can...
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    I'm interested to see how Brody's character will be portrayed; I can't imagine him playing a typical Mr. Badass McHero and audience usually associates him with a powerless victim than a strong protagonist. That said, I can't wait to see him in this role; I really like him for some reason.
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    I have faith in this and I like the direction he's taken with it.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Another one added to my list:

apr1: Clash of titans

May28: Prince of persia

and now

somewhere in July: Predators
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Well now, TeaAndCiggarettes wins the award for least tactful joke. Personally im very excited for this film, because it CANNOT BE WORSE THAN AVP THIS RINGS TRUE.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    I'll see it but agreed on the casting, shame it's hard to find any actors that are built like Arnie now with out hiring wrastlers
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor wrote: »

Actually, Rodriguez is not directing - Nimrod Antal is (a fellow hungarian). AFAIK RR only wrote the story. You might have seen Kontroll from Antal a couple years ago, (and he also did Armored which I've heard kinda sucks though ;)

But Kontroll is awesome, and a lot of people in the US and Kanada liked it; and he brought the same director of photography, Gyula Pados, for Predators too, so it's probably gonna look nice.
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    This was shot here in Austin TX for most of it. I can remember them doing casting calls for extras and what not a few months back. Should be interesting.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I'll be honest, it stinks of fail as most reboots/franchise continuations but I have hopes up for it because Rodriguez realises he needs to do something different to make it fun.

I am not really liking Adrian Brody in this, though. He never sold himself as a tough ass muthafucka, at least in none of the movies I watched with him.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    I honestly don't see how anyone can say "this stinks of fail" or anything like that based on that clip. What was shown that turns you off so much? As for the casting, physical appearance doesn't matter as much as human characters that can play the roll they've been given, and no one knows what character archetypes Brody, Fishburne, etc. really are yet. I'd rather have talented actors, that big muscular dudes, and Brody definitely falls into the talented actor camp.

I'm excited that Rodriguez knows that competing with the original is pointless. I trust him to know what to do for the betterment of the film, even if it means going against what the audience thinks they want.
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    about the casting.

Topher fucking Grace?

Adrien fucking Brody?

this movie is trying to hard to be something it can never be while bearing the current name.

they should change it to something more like "twilight - alien hunter saga"
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    I didn't see any of the sequels (how many have there been?) , saw the original though, will never forget the spine-pulling scene, or the way Jesse Ventura's character is killed off.

As a film in a long line of Arnie vehicles, it wasn't so bad , when compared to things like 'Commando'.

Looking forward to this. :thumbup:
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    about the casting.

Topher fucking Grace?

Adrien fucking Brody?

this movie is trying to hard to be something it can never be while bearing the current name.

Hahaha!
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    Robert Rodriguez is the only reason I'm still paying attention. Hope he can pull it off.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    There have only been 2 predator movies to the best of my knowledge. I liked the first one better, but the second one was interesting. So when they say this is the first predator movie, is this supposed to be the team Arno finds? Seems interesting so far, but a bit similar to the first one.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Sage wrote: »
    I liked the first one better, but the second one was interesting.

I actually really like the second one, whereas most fans don't. I liked how they went a totally different direction and put it in a new setting. The whole film has a mood to it too, moreso than the first one I think. It's dark and dirty and it just feels like it's 120 degrees in every scene. Good stuff.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with MadArtist here, to me the first predator felt like a Vietnam film with some kind of horrible alien stalking them instead of an enemy force. The second one felt like a desperate attempt to drive out a hostile, unknown creature. Also I dug the rooftop fight scene where Glover followed the predator through into an apartment complex. I love chase scenes through buildings and tight corridors.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.predators-movie.com/
    just in case people wanted a bit better looking version.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I have faith RR will make it better than the AVP movies easily.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Interesting but I thought RR was directing it? And Alan Silvestri is not doing the score?!? Oh well. Also why is it back in the jungle? I've also heard rumors that this will be PG-13 if that's true that's kinda lame.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    ebagg wrote: »

That's not necessarily saying much.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    ebagg wrote: »

lol I think we should forget about any AVP movie, well the 1st one was ok.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    about the casting.

Topher fucking Grace?

Adrien fucking Brody?

because everyone knows Adrien Brody can't act...
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    The first Aliens VS. Predator movie was quite bad. There was one memorable shot from that movie that I always find entertaining. When the Predator does a spinning leap over the Alien queen's back, and stabs her in the head with a spear, that is totally awesome. Everything else in the film stank of "meh." Two of the Predators turn out to be total wusses, and get eaten almost immediately. It is impossible to empathize with any of the human characters, and whenever they are talking, the film is painful to watch.

The second AvsP movie had a far better predator character, and some decent fighting between the two alien species. But once again, it tanked hard on the human factor. Teen angst has no place in a confilct between movie monsters. The film also had far too many obvious and contrived references to the previous films in both series.

I think separating the two franchises is the right way to go. I'm keeping my expectations dialed back for this Predators film. But so far, it looks like it could be entertaining. I like the way Adrian Brody's voice sounds in the trailer. And Laurence Fishburn can make almost any line sound good. I also like the idea of dumping a group of humans into a Predator game reserve. We'll see how this plays out.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    question : why there is tattooed guy with samurai?
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    because everyone knows Adrien Brody can't act...

Hehe, agreed.
    The single fact that Anderson is not directing it makes me optimistic. But having both Brody AND his nose in the film is like a cherry on top. That guy makes some amazing facial expressions; he's easily one of my favourite Hollywood actors.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    I'm looking forward to the cool stuff we might see on the alien planet. I hope for some creepy indigenous life that gets in the way. I'm thinking sarlaac pit kinda stuff.

I'm not fired up about the "PIANIST" being in this. But Morpheus.. Fuck yeah. The rest look cliche at first glance.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    low odor wrote: »

Agreed, too bad he isn't directing and this isn't "Robert Rodiquez's Predators"

He's only a producer/faceman to sell the movie and the actual director is a confirmed hack, so let's keep this all in context.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    TroubleMaker Studios is having a session tonight in downtown Austin, VFX Masters Series
    http://www.siggraphaustin.org/
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    I really don't hold much hope for this at all, why did they have to go make a dog version of the predator, wasn't it bad enough when they did it in Aliens 3? Oooh I sense a connection there. Maybe it won't be as blasphemous as AvP but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    mostly just curious, but what do you think is particularly horrible about the casting?

Two words... Topher Grace.

Eric_Forman.jpg
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    Two words... Topher Grace.

Eric_Forman.jpg

thank you!

only good part about this movie is Oleg Taktarov.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes: Well put - alteast it has Brody's nose going for it. It probably even has it's own contract.
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope its better than Alien vs Predator Requiem....
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I've only seen two movies with Topher in it. Spiderman 3, in which everyone sucked, and In Good Company, which I thought he did a good job in.

I'm not ready to write him off because he was in a sitcom
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    RR isn't directing this, he's slapping his name on it like Quentin did with Hostel.

Nimrod Antal is directing it.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Predator dog?

/Distasteful groan
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    Hey a movie that old nostalgics will hate! AWESOME!
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A movie obviously aimed at old nostalgics with something "new" added, to try and make it appeal more to a younger, clueless audience that won't understand what made the franchise so badass in the first place, which will only serve to disgruntle the old nostalgics it'll be relying on to bring box office sales!

I have no idea why they can't just make Predator 3 - A story about a gang of seemingly battle-superior aliens that come to earth, to get their ass eventually handed to them by a weaker protagonist, and that's it. None of this silly, gimmicky crap like quadrupedal, horned dogs or Topher Grace?

It's that sort of franchise advancement that gave Robocop a jetfuckingpack in Robocop 3.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sure Topher Grace will be mauled in an appropriately graphic fashion.

Official Trailer is up
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u8vZwvP57Y&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
    Nothing immediately stands out as sucking. I'm sure the purists will still find something to hate.
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    Someone off youtube:
    I don't get it. One predator could wipe out this entire cast within 5 seconds. But they bring out like 10 of them for a full length movie fighting, not aliens, but shitty ass humans (with no arnold?). WTF

Also quote off Robert Rodriguez:
    Obviously nobody can compete with Arnold Schwarzenegger

Enough said.