Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Oz: Dorothy

Ged
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Ged interpolator
never got to finish this properly for the gameartisans challenge. Its just flat shaded diffuse. Shes 3817 tris on her own. based loosely on william bourgeaurau art http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/William-Adolphe_Bouguereau_%281825-1905%29_-_The_Broken_Pitcher_%281891%29.jpg

dorothy_presentation1.jpg
dorothy_colour7.jpg

Replies

• Harry
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    mediterranean edition?
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Harry wrote: »
    mediterranean edition?

heh nah we were free to come up with our own Oz style so I wanted to try my hand at painting in a more classical style dont know if I succeeded or not
  • Harry
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    i think it looks good, but the face from side view needs more work. if you arent still going with this i guess crits arent helpful though
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Harry wrote: »
    i think it looks good, but the face from side view needs more work. if you arent still going with this i guess crits arent helpful though

I might still be able to do something feel free to crit, works been manic lately so this is just some fun on the side
  • ralusek
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    this dorothy needs more zooey deschanel, enter tin man edition
    9_midi.jpg
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yeah ralusek that is a cool pic, I was going for old classical painting style dorothy but I guess as a character she just came out too boring cause Im not getting much response or crits. I will get her real time renders organised and put her in my portfolio and be done with it.

Bought the eat3d udk tutorial so Ill be making an environment next, all I seem to do at work lately is environments :P
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i just finished reading wizard of oz last nite.. first time ever reading the book,, there was a lot more decapitations and broken necks than i woulda thought
  • P442
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    if you hadn't have told us it was supposed to be Dorothy, I never would have thought it. She looks more like an Eastern European peasant girl, which matches the concept, but doesn't have anything to do with Dorothy from the Oz stories.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    P442 wrote: »
    if you hadn't have told us it was supposed to be Dorothy, I never would have thought it. She looks more like an Eastern European peasant girl, which matches the concept, but doesn't have anything to do with Dorothy from the Oz stories.

I couldve made a very low poly toto I guess but that wouldnt be too appealing

I tried to present it a little better, Im happy with most of it but its still not really what I wanted to create :P

dorothy_presentation2.jpg
  • Wayfa
    I think she has a bit too much forehead... for a little girl. Hands look a bit odd too.
    Ma impression.
  • madmuffin
    Offline / Send Message
    madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
    Her face looks odd. It would do good to find a real face to study model from.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    madmuffin wrote: »
    Her face looks odd. It would do good to find a real face to study model from.

I did find good pics of young girls faces, the mistake was that I used a grown womans head as a reference for the poly modelling as I couldnt find a nice young girl side and front view. lesson learnt
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    in the book she wore a white and blue gingham check dress, also she wore a green dress given to her in the emrald city, but it was really white, it only looked green because of the green glasses they had to wear in the city. also in the books especialy the illustrations, she was much younger than this, maybe 8-10 was the impression i got.

also as far as the model, the skin on yours is really splotchy.

oh... the tin man series was probably the most horrible thing ever on tv
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    in the book she wore a white and blue gingham check dress, also she wore a green dress given to her in the emrald city, but it was really white, it only looked green because of the green glasses they had to wear in the city. also in the books especialy the illustrations, she was much younger than this, maybe 8-10 was the impression i got.

also as far as the model, the skin on yours is really splotchy.

oh... the tin man series was probably the most horrible thing ever on tv

yeah I wasnt trying to make the dorothy that people already know I was trying to re-envision her as a character in a classical painting like the ref I posted. Overall not a great success I was working crunch while trying to make this model so definitely not my best work. It will not be in my portfolio :)