Offline / Send Message
dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
dunno if its already been posted, but a new beta has just been released:

http://ow.ly/WTlk

Replies

• CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I updated last week, it's a much better build so far (No Crashes!) Except when I accidentally press c too many times! >_<
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    happy to see its still going, havent used it in ages now tho :/
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    Ooh nice; the crashing problem was the one thing that kept me away from the last release
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Aw, you got my hopes up! Been using this already... it's a bit more stable, but there are other things, like soft selection radius no longer being adjustable via mousewheel (??). And the falloff does nothing now. Could just be me, and this is what beta means I guess. I've had a few crashes but nowhere near as many as the previous build; verts still freak out, but it's manageable.

Hoping they release another soon!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    So give the laydown. Where does silo fit in your workflow? Between say Max and Zbrush? Or a replacement for both?
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    The sculpting tools in Silo are nice for blocking out forms or making a rough blob for quick retopo, but it doesn't render millions of polygons effectively enough to replace Mud/Z, not to mention the brush tools are really basic.

So... low and highpoly modeling (subd surfaces), basemeshes for sculpting in other apps, and any sort of UV work, complete with capable retopology tools if you import a decimated sculpt.

Silo has some blatant weaknesses, and as far as I can tell Maya/Max/Modo/Blender?/all else can for the most part be set up to function just as fluidly; Silo's focus is customizable command setups for an uninterrupted workflow, but it desperately needs revivification of development. Scripting would be awesome.

Patches and improvements used to be really frequent; this January 2.2 beta is after over two years of nothing. For the price, it's an effective modeler. I do all my modeling/uving in Silo; since I don't have a portfolio up right now as an example that doesn't say much, but I've never had too much trouble.

There are others around here who still use it, but most have moved on to one of the M-suites since its developmental abandonment. If you ask me it's one of the best apps in which to learn straight up poly modeling, due to its straightforward focus.