Home General Discussion

Your gaming "guilty pleasures"

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
I was asked this in an interview once.

What games do you avoid sharing as your favorites? What games are so great in your mind, you can't believe no one else is playing them? What games would you not want your family, friends, or significant others walking in on you playing?

Pokemon Snap. I was in high school when my younger brothers rented this. I thought their obsession with Pokemon was stupid...but that was a fun game. It's the only Pokemon game I have ever, and will ever, play. I'm all for more photography games that attempt more fun than realism.

A more recent one for me is Sid Meier's Railroads!. Received this for my birthday as a gift on Steam, and it's great. It's not a boring train simulator...it's a model trainset game with nice graphics. I could play it (watch it) for hours. It has many noticeable bugs, but can be easily worked around. I assume the lack of bug fixes is due to the lack of people playing it. But it satisfies the kid in me.

De Blob. Very fun and original Wii Game, but I think a lot of people have played this. It's the only one of two Wii games I currently find very entertaining despite being an adult male.

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    The Yu-Gi-Oh DS games. I played 3 of them (Nightmare Troubador, GX:Spirit Caller, and one of the World Tournament ones), not to completion. I had as awesome deck set up in Spirit Caller. I think I only ever lost online with it like twice. Yu-Gi-Oh itself was after my time, but a couple years ago a guy I worked with who was into it when he was younger got me interested in it. The DS games are great because it's the same game as the actual card game, but much much cheaper than trying to actually build a good deck IRL.

I picked up Pokemon Yellow and Pokemon Sapphire for GBA not too long ago, to see what it's all about. I'd never played any of the Pokemon games before. They're pretty cool and I played them for what I'd consider a long while (enough to catch like 10 or 15 Pokemon) but I had no interest in catching 'em all. I evolved my Mudkip into a Marshtomp and got him up to around level 30, but that was enough for me.

Gemcraft. That game is so addictive.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    screenshot2501-0.jpg

Dark Colony is still my fav RTS...
    Elephantoid Ass Tanks @ every choke point.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shining Force, Sega Genesis/MegaDrive:

-cancelled--20070321014127735.jpg

Good stuff.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    dwarf fortress!! It has ASCII or crude sprite graphics and the most horrible interface imagineable, but I can play it for hours and hours on end :)
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Grand Theft Auto(any). I have an ethical problem with a game that encourages you to engage in immoral murder of defenseless innocents, crime, etc. But I'm consistently impressed with the depth of the simulation and story. I'm hoping LA Noir and Red Dead Redemption offer similar, if less morally bankrupt, experiences.

The Sims3. Again...kinda a boring game, but impressive in its breadth.
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    most of my friends know me as playing crysis, modern warfare, borderlands, and other FPSes, but when nobody is around i whip out the seiken densetsu 3.
  • JacqueChoi
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    seiken densetsu 3
    I think that is far too awesome to be a guilty pleasure, but I know what you mean when you're surrounded people who only play shooters.

Little side story on that note, I thought Dragon Age fell into that category and suddenly my shooter friend was all like "Have you played this crazy game Dragon Age!!!?!?!" and all his other shooter friends were like "Fuck yeah, Dragon Age is awesome". I was really confused.

Whatever happened to RPG's being inherently nerdy? You're messing with my social structure, Bioware! It's kind of great but it was a lot easier to figure out back when every game (but GTA) was considered lame. Now I don't know how to talk to these people :/ But I can talk about Bioware games, apparently.

Only thing I could think of as a guilty pleasure for me would be grinding games. Torchlight, cheap free Korean MMO's, JRPG's, etc. Stuff that takes no skill and is not very rewarding. Sometimes I need to just turn my brain off and grind for a while. Happens once or twice a year.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    seiken densetsu 3 is a sex. and yes super nintendo RPGs tend to be like "Uh what?" to some of my friend BUT THEY'RE THE BEST.
    Also Dwarf Fortress shouldn't be a guilty pleasure. It's a bad-ass game, and the new version has me more excited than any major commercial releases coming up.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just about any old 2D dos adventure game I grew up on that I still have installed in one way or another. The Black Cauldron, The Dig, Bioforge, Beneath a Steel Sky.I would be slightly less embarrassed by Monkey Island, Full Throttle and Alone in the Dark.

I have a soft spot for flight sims not anything recent (you grow up with pilots and plane nuts you have to).
    - B-17 flying fortress.
    874-2.jpg
    I dare anyone to taxi, take off, fly a full mission without skipping, not have anyone die, hit your target, and land it without crashing and say they had fun.
    - F-15 Strike Eagle III.
    - European air war.
    - Wing Commander III.

It's a good thing there aren't achievements or steam notifications when I'm playing this stuff...
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh snap, played the second installment of that one quite a lot when I was a kid!

B-17FlyingFortressTheMighty8th-2.jpg

I cannot count how many times ive taken off, flown for 2 hours, only to get a fatal hit from some of the first scattered flak. Still loved every second of it.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    I've spend an embarrassing amount of time playing Heroes of Newerth. Which is this: http://www.heroesofnewerth.com/ which is based on this game which I spent much more time playing:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23HV78tJwyw[/ame]
    It seems to be impossible to find a video of DotA that's not totally over produced.

Otherwise, robot unicorn attack :D
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    I still play Everquest every now and then :(
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    wonder boy 3 in monster world. I still love that game. its epic, you can play it for days
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    JacqueChoi wrote: »

You win.

The thing is, I watched the video and am thinking of picking it up now. :D!
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    My guilty pleasure is definitely WoW.

I'm in a top guild, spend several hours two days a week raiding. I'm not the average "must play all the time" type of player, but I still feel guilty enjoying it as much as I do.

I've never been one to start discussions on theory crafting, dps rotations, or boss encounters. I see countless people doing that in "the real world", and I never wanted to be lumped into that category of WoW players. Alas....it is still my guilty pleasure. :x
  • supermedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well i though you are gonna say that you enjoy playing Japaneses dating sim games or Hentai game or Virtual sex games .

Mine is...............MMMmmmmmmmm...Hidden object games like Dreams chronicle trilogy
    dream_11.jpg
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Vig wrote: »
    , Bioforge,

Bioforge was/is/always will be fucking epicness !!!
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I played a demo of this game once and I was hooked, Ribbit King Plus. Easily my most shameful gaming addiction. But there is nothing like a river of testicles carrying your frog in a game of golf, for a hole in one. NOTHING!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE2afsuVz4g[/ame]

Also Peggle. Massive amounts of Peggle, and anything PopCap makes.
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Hannah Montana: Music Jam for the DS.[/url]

Oh, damn. I started looking at that and thought, well, that seems familiar... Has that guy done more DS game presentations? I recognize this... As soon as I saw the first shot of the screen, I knew that I had seen it before. Probably five times. And after each of those times, I wanted it to try it, too...

I can't think of any guilty pleasures of mine! It's a shame, I think I've got plenty... if I could just remember any...
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    The Sims3. Again...kinda a boring game, but impressive in its breadth.

Here's a way to change that: just re-create your work mates as sims, preferably the most annoying ones, stuff them in a big noisy stuffy dark (or too bright) environment with too few toilets (something that kinda resembles your average game studio) and see what happens...

Oh and by the way, there is NOTHING but really NOTHING wrong with Peggle! Because it's just AWESOME! I just wish they would port peggle nights and all the addons to the iPhone too.

I also wasted hours playing bejewelled on my iPhone while having a fully decked out gaming PC next to me.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Animal Crossing and Cooking Mama.

I haven't played either in a long, long time, but I was hooked on both for months at a time. I spend so much time playing "hardcore" games that these silly little multi-taskers are a nice change of pace.

Those and Robot Unicorn Attack:http://games.adultswim.com/robot-unicorn-attack-twitchy-online-game.html

But I'm not embarrassed about that one. :P
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    I'll agree with you on Animal Crossing, but I have to add Harvest Moon in there too (for the SNES, the rest suck!).

When it came out, I was addicted to Pokemon SNAP too. I think I was around 12 or 13 at the time???
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    At some point in time I was addicted to Restaurant City on facebook. Luckily it ended after a month but it does make me feel guilty enjoying a game like that :<
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bbob wrote: »
    Oh snap, played the second installment of that one quite a lot when I was a kid!

I cannot count how many times ive taken off, flown for 2 hours, only to get a fatal hit from some of the first scattered flak. Still loved every second of it.
    I knew there was a reason I liked ya...
    I haven't played the re-release but I'm so tempted looking at that screenshot... The weird thing is I have it, but never installed it.

In the old it was easy to get ahead and below of the squadron making yourself an easy target. To get around this I would fly above and behind a few planes, technically out of formation. Climbing bleeds off speed so I would do it slowly on the first leg of the mission. It also saved me from being under the others when they took fatal hits or dove to put out engine fires.

There where times, I would shot out an engine or two on other bombers, to slow them down and make them easy fighter fodder... HEY they had parachutes, a service revolver and a compass...

They probably punished you in some way in the new version if you used the pack to protect yourself, or worse the squadron doesn't fly in a straight line at a constant speed making it harder to navigate around the mess of bombers.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'm going to go with Trespasser in its inital, unpatched state (not sure whether it ever got patched to any major degree. Probably not). It's broken in every way imaginable, but the fact that you're never entirely sure what's going to happen just makes the game more compelling. I'm pretty sure it's the only game ever made where you can beat yourself to death with a baseball bat or shoot yourself in the face with a shotgun.

For those who never tried it, it was ostensibly a FPS where you had a full (if extremely unwieldy) control of the characters right arm which allowed you to pick up items, swing and throw them and fire guns. It also had the buggiest physics engine I've ever come across. These two things coupled together made for some mighty interesting gameplay mechanics.

One of the most obvious was the fact that the character could not carry an item up a slope. Walking up an incline would result in the weapon being dropped on the ground. The way around this was to throw the item as far up the hill as you could reach, running up to it before it slid all the way back down, trying to grab it with the unweildy prehensile arm and repeating until you go to the top of the hill.

Then there was the potential energy glitch. If you jammed an object (typically a length of rebar) between to immovable objects, the game would try to force it out by vibrating it, generating enormous amounts of potential energy. If you then held on to this item, when it eventually worked it's way loose you'd be catapulted huge distances into the air.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    This has to be one of the worst :D

http://ikariam.com/ It's a very crappy an addictive game. You do nothing but wait around forever... I loved the graphics. Gameforge has finally made this game totally suck even more with every new upgrade, I think they have been hanging out with adobe and and autodesk too much! OH snap I said it.

The took everything I found fun about this game out! But talking to the people on my alliance is fun so I still play. I might quit after I go to boot camp.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Baldur's Gate 2

Don't get me wrong; BG2 is a fantastic game - despite its age it's my favourite RPG up to date.

Why is it a guilty pleasure?

I haven't played this game for five years and I am having so much fun at the moment, that I haven't done any proper work in days. It feels like I'm fucking twelve again; I keep talking about this game like a raving lunatic and my friends are starting to give me weird looks. I have to finish it before it takes over my life.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage wrote: »
    This has to be one of the worst :D

http://ikariam.com/ It's a very crappy and addictive game.

I played Ikarium for a while. It's not so bad. I posted a thread here about it years ago. I stopped when all my friends got bored with it.

For the same reason, I try to avoid any Facebook games like the plague.

And I'm surprised only one person has mentioned WoW. Stop hiding!!!
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah I think facebook games are worse. LOL I got hooked on Mobsters 2 for a bit. I was curious. The reason I say Ikrariam is bad is because you do nothing but wait around. LOL.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I log into Second Life once in a blue moon, I got a lifetime account for being a beta tester.. now that is an embarrassing thing to have.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Oh yea... forgot about this... sumotori
    http://www.gravitysensation.com/sumotori/

AKA "Drunk Fights". Showed this to some guys at work...never seen a game cause so much laughter.
  • Clopticon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peggle and Lego Batman :)
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    tower defense has rotted in my brain.
  • rares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rares polycounter lvl 9
    Revenant was the first rpg i played on a pc, and i still love it, it just kicks ass, think diablo2 with a mortal kombat fighting system (slightly forced comparison, but it did have fatalities ...kind of :D )

revenant4.gif
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I log into Second Life once in a blue moon, I got a lifetime account for being a beta tester.. now that is an embarrassing thing to have.

get the %$&* out.....

no, seriously....

leave.....
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    Well, hey, if browser games count, then I'll be proud to announce I've been playing Nile Online for over a year now. A game that was hoping to compete with the likes of Ikariam, Travian and those guys. And so far the only browser game I hasn't hated. I'm constantly logged in and hanging on the chat wall (as Fenehk II) just in case a newbie needs help with something, or someone shows up hoping to chit-chat.

I also recently bought Space Giraffe for the third time, while it was for sale on Steam...
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    My mom plays farmville and fishville on facebook.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man, I played Second Life during the beta as well. :( I tried again afterwards with my lifetime accound, but jumped ship when I saw it was flooded with furries and perves. I've been bashed relentlessly for mentioning Second Life. Never again. Except here. Last time.

I just started playing a Facebook game last night. Social City, a Sim City knockoff. I want to see what the big deal is...and why my friends keep sending annoying invitations. It would be a lot of fun if I wasn't constantly being urged to send invites, publish each and every small achievement, and buy upgrades with real cash. Lame.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    sicsided wrote: »
    I played a demo of this game once and I was hooked, Ribbit King Plus. Easily my most shameful gaming addiction. But there is nothing like a river of testicles carrying your frog in a game of golf, for a hole in one. NOTHING!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE2afsuVz4g

Also Peggle. Massive amounts of Peggle, and anything PopCap makes.

Ribbit King! The only golfing game with a homosexual alien umpire. What a weird game...but it was addictive
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    slipsius wrote: »
    get the %$&* out.....

no, seriously....

leave.....

well it's interesting that Mudbox is incorporating vector displacement maps, something that's been in SL for about a year now. It's a little rough because the primitives are only a few thousand polygons at their highest level but combine it with a lighting/material bake and you get some good results.

It's a shame that it's turned into a virtual sex zone, when I was in beta everyone was making RPG's, FPS games and other weird sports like Sumo Ball and Jetpack Basketball.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Japhir wrote: »
    My mom plays farmville and fishville on facebook.

so does mine! between those, and her other casual games, she played more games than i did for a while. but, ive been slightly addicted to everquest 2 lately, she probably doesnt anymore.

Not sure why peggle is a guilty pleasure. that game is awsome!

for me. probably the sims... from time to time i get an urge to play it. play it for a couple days, then stop. lol
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    Star Wars Galaxies. Haven't had a subscription since the first 6 months or so it launched but I download the 14 day trial every few months and cry at what could have been.
  • mrsincredible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow that Hannah Montana Jam looks so neat! Any other games out there that you can use as a one person music studio?
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • I_R_Hopo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_R_Hopo polycounter lvl 14
    Claydough, I have been looking for that game since I was about 6-8 years old. I have memories of playing it but I've never been able to figure out what it was. I'm really happy right now that I finally know what game it is!
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I knew there was a reason I liked ya...
    I haven't played the re-release but I'm so tempted looking at that screenshot... The weird thing is I have it, but never installed it.

Oh you totally should install the second one. Just thinking about it makes me want to dig it out again..
    There where times, I would shot out an engine or two on other bombers, to slow them down and make them easy fighter fodder... HEY they had parachutes, a service revolver and a compass...

Rofl, used to do that as well. Mostly because, at the time, it was one of the very best damage models, and it looked so damn neat.

Never tried the first one, though.
  • master-mune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so one of my guilty pleasures is Lords of the Realm II... does anyone remember this game? I used to play it all the time along side Heroes of Might and Magic III.

I hadn't played them since I went to College but I went home for reading week in February and played them again... so old but so much fun.
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    Even though I don't like to play on consoles I bought a PS2 just for GuitarHero.