Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Maori Character WIP

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
Hey everybody :). I've been creepin around the site for a while now but I haven't really posted anything of my own, so heres something I'm currently working on. My goal is to get a 7500 tri character out of this and then to rig and animate. This is my first legitimate character, so I'm excited to see how it goes.

maorimodelscreens.jpg

This guy is supposed to be a Maori Warrior. I'm gonna put him in traditional Maori clothing (reed skirt and mini-cape) and tat him all up eventually, but to this point hes been nothing more than an anatomy study. Taking a step back an looking at him tho, I can see his face is too gaunt for the bulk of his body, and that hes got some pretty dainty legs in the profile. Those are both things I'll fix tonight and I'm sure there are other things I am not recognizing, so I look forward to any advice on how to improve it.

maoriface.jpg

maorihair.jpg

I'm not very happy with how my first crack at the hair went, so I think thats also something I will rework tonight. I'm trying to get those awesome wild waves that most of the maori have, but what i got now just doesn't convey that lol. I'm sure sticking cramming some alpha planes in there would help, but i know it could be MUCH better.

but anyway, I apreciate any crits you guys may have for me, and look forward to being more involved in the polycount community :)

Replies

• Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    For the hair, I would suggest not using symmetry. The pattern is clearly noticeable. Maybe a pair of eyes would help! His cheekbones seem a little intense, but that might be what you are aiming for. Apart from that, seems pretty good to me! Work on that hair some more! Planes will definitely help you there!
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    pretty good start,

the head is lacking some structure atm , try to get the skullstructure in there first and add in the masses from there on .
    also the body looks really short with only 6 headlengths

did this quick paintover with some suggestions
    2z8x5ww.png

also don't be to quick with hitting the subdivide button and try to get as much out of a subdivision as you can

keep it up ^^
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help

@ Prophecies, I agree. The symmetry really wasn't too wise of me. I'll fix that tonight. I also see what your saying about the cheekbones. I want him to look aged and rugged, but your right, they shouldn't be as apparent considering how much of his body has that "water-weight" sort of look. I need to smooth out his facial features in general i think.

@ Ravenslayer, those paint-overs are always really helpful. I will definetly stretch him out. and i like the fuller lips and heavier appearing face.

Again, I really appreciate your insight fellas :)
  • Harry
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    i fully got banned from australian internet servers for asking a guy if he was a maori (his voice sort of sounded maori)

i knew it wasnt generally accepted to be a slur.

ps. what's the plan for this guy, warrior covered in tattoos? modern day loitering GTA citizen type thing? or what
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, i have never heard of it to be considered a slur either, in fact I believe it is the official title that the native new zealanders have adopted for themselves. It literally means "the people," and I believe that its' original use by the native peoples was in reference to individual tribes, and everyone else, including neighboring tribes, were not Maori, but when the europeans came and disrupted their traditional set up, they began referring to all native new zealanders as Maori. I'm not an expert by any means, but i always try to be as culturally sensitive and historically accurate as possible. If someone feels otherwise however, I will definitely stop referring to them as such.

But in response to your question, I do intend to put the tattoos on him, but i will have to put in some significant research into the meanings behind them before hand. I'm gonna dress him in what i can figure to be the traditional clothing, which they can occasionally be seen wearing during modern performances. Then I also hope to rig and animate him performing a haka :)
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I had some time to sit down and work this evening and heres what I came up with.

maorimodelsheet02.jpg

maoriface02.jpg

maorihair02.jpg

First, I stretched his legs and lower stomach a bit so his head could be more accurately proportioned with his height.
    Then i took another look at his hair and I'm a little more satisfied with how it turned out. I hope its a step in the right direction at least.
    Other than that, I looked at some the structural issues that were pointed out, and softened up his face.

I'm going to add some more detail to the face soon, and the next big step would be his loin cloth. At first I was thinking about appending a plane subtool and sculpting the detail onto that, but I'm not sure if thats the right way to go about it.

Young_Maori_man_dancing.jpgNZ054P29MaoriWarrior001.jpgmaori.jpgtraditional-maori-warrior_16923.jpg

As you can see, their traditional clothing seems to be made up of feathers and reeds and other things of the like. Sometimes it just covers the front and has a thong holding it up, but other times it is more like a skirt. I was intending on the thong or two-flap approach, but i want to stay away from the skirt because I think that is a more modern adaptation. But I'm gonna look into that some more and tinker with it and I'll post my results.

Like always, I appreciate any crits or advice you guys may have for me.

Thanks! :thumbup: