Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Really nice car :D

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
Hey polycount,
Ive been working on a new portfolio piece for a while now, just trying to get up to the level of a pro. Ive been building a lotus elise to next gen specs, and I need some suggestions:)
lotuselisewip1.png
lotuselisewip2.png

Still very wip, Ive been experimenting alot with this model as well. rebuilt the tires 4 times to try out techniques, building a suspension, as well as an engine bay.
The final product should be a nice, racing-oriented elise with a very, very damaged version.

Some thoughts:
The suspension is the same front and rear atm, should I break this up? I want to conserve my uv space later on, but I want to stay true to an actual elise.
Some parts are as close as possible to the real thing, and some are nearly made up, anything super off?

Really big thanks to Renderhjs and xoliul for answering my questions in the technical thread.

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    solid work so far, like it alot, wierd smoothing near the back lights and end of shapes by the rear of the door?
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woolah!
    thanks for the crit ged, got it fixed and have moved on to the low poly.
    finally got some time to sit down and bake this stuff:)

elise_1.jpg

elise_2.jpg
    elise_3.jpg

kindof got so entagled with real life stuff that this got put on hold
    still need to bake the rest of the interior, the sideview mirrors, and suspension.
    the car is sitting at 15,386 tris, including all tires and such.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    The struts supporting the roof seem too thin. They should / have to be able tosupport the whole car laying upside down in case of an accident.

If you are speaking of next gen in reference to racing games you should check out the specs they are using on GT5 or Forza.

For a state of the art racing game you are missing smallscale details or at least they don't work out in your lowpoly.

Also I remember that the cars for GT5 go with about 200.000 Tris :poly122: for the players car (with Interior and engine-parts) and I'm sure considerably less tris for all other AI-cars on the grid. I don't know if this is true but it seems possible with proper use of LOD.
    Even if those number are accurate or way over the top I think you should aim for more polygons.

Here are the links from a company which makes awesome cars and claims to be gt5 specs. It seriously blows your mind.

http://www.propergraphics.com/3dlowpoly/Koenigsegg_video.htm
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks slave_zero, I'll be adding alot more to the interior of the car, the a pillars will be the first to be upgraded :)
    as far as next gen, I was thinking around 20k tris, with a 2048 main map, a 1024 accesory map, and a 512 map for the wheels.

Ive looked up the now-current gen cars and I am really just, uggghh.
    I dont want to dive into a forza 3 1-million polygon car atm, especially with the lack of documentation on the elise, and the subtle differentiations between the series, hell, I still havent found a single orthographic top view, whatever series :poly127:

This piece was supposed to be a sort of middle ground between most uses in games, side prop, gta wanabe, like a demonstration of skills.

first pass at texturing, just laying down colors, really. but its 6 am here and its time for bed.

Polycount green of course.:)
    elise_6.jpg
    elise_5.jpg
    elise_4.jpg

anyone have a clue why my running lights are a constant highlight in marmoset? as if light is always shining directly on it.
    still some things to add like the aforementioned side mirrors and interior, but also the lights around the wheels, the rear license plate, and other various tidbits.

and thanks for the link slave_zero, consider my mind blown:)
  • Apophis3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's the bloom settings in marmoset causing that to happen. I would also mess around with the gloss a tad. I am not getting the car paint feel from it. Wish I could help with setting that up in marmoset, but I have not really messed with it that much yet :(
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Before moving on too far in your project you need to revisit your high poly. You're getting some pretty intense pinching in a lot of places.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    consider the high poly revisited. if I missed anything, pleas point out any errors, I need a break from staring at highlight patterns:D

elise_7.jpg
  • UncheckedDemon
    Nice model. It looks like there is a small lump near the smaller head lamps and some other smoothing issues under the rear wing's lip. Other than that, I think is a great model.