Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Wall-to-Wall Jump Animation

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Mezz polycounter lvl 8
Ok, as suggested, I'm taking a break from that large mess that was my box lift animation... to something more quick and fun!! :) A wall-jumping animation!

This is the first pass, most keys and breakdowns are in (might still need a few more breakdowns). Before I go further into tweaking it (as I have a bad habit of doing), I'd love to hear everyone's feedback on it :D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfdTxHBj03s[/ame]

Also, not sure what camera angle I want to use to best showcase this piece. Suggestions on that as well would be great. :)

Thanks for looking!

Replies

• kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    What is the setting here? What's going on?

I have a hard time relating to this since it does not seem to follow normal framerate/speed. I'm not buying the really fast spring at the beginning.

I'd try to find some nice parkour videos showing similar moves and push yours a bit further. Hard to tell what is going on with the wall jumps. Maybe a bit longer stretch of wall and have the character run a bit on the wall before making the first jump?
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    I would show it from the other side, so that the last jump will let him fly over the camera...

It is quite good for a start, but the jumps are lacking...I don't know how to phrase it...energy perhaps....they seem stiff...and the first jump looks completely unnatural...I would make him run a bit on the wall, before jumping off it, instead of jumping from the corner...

And exaggerate your arcs a bit...I mean its computer animation...doesn't have to be to realistic (in fact it shouldn't be...)

I think that came up in your other thread, too...post videos with a frame counter...makes it easier to comment...also, with animations going that quick, I'd recommend also rendering a slow motion version...it makes it easier to see whats going on.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Here's a video to set the mood for doing parkour animations :P
    http://vimeo.com/6495648
    Not that much wall jumps, but cool none the less.
  • iansmithartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iansmithartist polycounter lvl 14
    It looks good for a first pass. I here what piflik is saying, the character goes into it with a lot of momentum and I think its a lost a little, particularly when he comes off the left wall.

There are some great parkour style animations here :.skymonkeystudio.com/, scroll down to the bottom, might be useful for some reff, ideas, inspiration.
  • serialkiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks good for a first pass. I here what piflik is saying, the character goes into it with a lot of momentum and I think its a lost a little, particularly when he comes off the left wall.

this :poly142:
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    There's not much feel of weight. It's like he lands from that last jump with almost no momentum, like he just stepped off a curb. Followthrough is just as important as anticipation.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    the gravity seems a little whack too, like he's not travelling in an arc but more a weird vector shape

o wait he fully is isnt he
  • frettchen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Look at your timing/spacing, all of it's very linear and similar at the moment, when he's jumping from wall to wall is where you can really see the timing/spacing destroying it making it look floaty

Check out the way the frames of the ball start to bunch together at the top of the arc - this is how you're going to add a lot of weight in there

2389444869_d0f16fd9a6.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! Good to see you moving on, nice work too. The run is good and the poses are great.

I think the angle of the shot isn't showing the characters momentum like it should.
    It seems kind of weird that he would run at one wall and spring toward the other. Normally when wall jumpers do this kind of thing they come at the wall at more of a straight on approach.

LossofMomentum.jpg
    It looks like he runs deep into the shot and bounces back toward the camera but off to the side?

ThelossofMomentum00.jpg
    It might make more sense to start the character on the right side of the screen and run toward the first contact point at more of ahead on angle, squish him down a few frames and explode back out, it would help account for the transfer of energy.

Ref: (the first jump might be interesting to do, go over the side and bounce down)
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15PxoqdBNtY[/ame]

Lots of videos, mostly of David Belle
    http://www.misterparkour.com/

Just for fun, Parkour!
    http://www.hulu.com/watch/96408/the-office-parkour
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Mezz if you get the National Geographic channel, they have been playing "Fight Science" over and over again. Watch that, they have guys doing similar things and they shoot it with a high speed camera, it may help you get the animation tight.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/fight-science#tab-Videos/07742_00
  • NoChance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As I don't know much about animating I can't comment on the details of the movement, but I can comment on the actual wall jump action. What is this for some Parkour for Wimps game? Epic it up! Spread those walls out and make him jumping higher, it looks really wimpy right now exaggerate it more to the point where it probably isn't possible but he does it anyway because that's what people want to see in games and thats what you're animating for. Right now it may be a more realistic possibility to make that jump but to me that just means boring.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks everyone for lots of critiques!--man, I didn't know it was so... not good. :P I was feeling pretty good about this piece, but now I see a lot of the stuff you guys are saying... back to the drawing board, so to speak. :p

DarthNater - No, I don't get the National Geographic channel, but thanks for the link :)

NoChance - Good point, I have a bad habit of making things too realistic, especially in animation. (I was always more inspired by, say, Disney over Looney Tunes. As such, I always have to be reminded to exaggerate :p --and yes, I know they exaggerate some in Disney too.)

Vig - Thanks!
    Honestly, sometimes I don't know what I'm thinking--or not thinking. Why didn't I youTube wall jumping before I started? I have a really bad tendency to always take the long, hard route. Note to self: Always reference what you're gonna do first, you idiot.
    Thanks for the links :)

frettchen - It's like I know all the basics, but they somehow slip out of my head when I get more complicated... thanks for the reminder!

Piflik - Sorry, I'm not sure how to go about getting in a frame counter? I will next time.. if uh... someone tells me how? :P

iansmithartist, kodde - Thanks for the links :)

Alright, got some other work to get through today, but I'll try to get back to this later. Thanks again for the comments... I will make a great piece of animation yet...!!!
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah Mezz its good, but it just seemed a little unnatural. Like something was lifting the character and it wasn't getting any resistance from gravity. Just needs tweaked a bit!
  • bejkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bejkon polygon
    Are you animating straight ahead or pose to pose?
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    the actual wall jumps should be much faster. instead of "sticking" to the wall, he should be rebounding off of it.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Okay, finally an update to this piece.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75Ueqng466Q[/ame]

As you can see, I've basically redone everything after he jumps up to the first wall. I'm much happier with this version, as it was inspired by all the parkour videos I've been watching (thanks for all the suggestions to check out parkour--I'd never even heard the term before now! :P) Unfortuantely, I'm already feeling a little fed up with this piece (that didn't take long, huh?).

The usual great critiques would be great to hear, as I'm not sure where I stand with this piece anymore. :P Oh, and if you're wathcing the 'recovery' at the ending, no I've barely touched that, so I know for sure that part's bad. :P

Thanks again for looking!! :) I think I'm gonna tackle a lip-sync next... may I please have some links for good sites to download rigged models, if you guys know some?? :D
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where the hell did your walls go? :p

I ask this because it looks like the character is jumping off of something for it's initial jump, either that, or its jumping again in mid air...
  • psychoticprankster
    What animation program do you use ?
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Mezz wrote: »
    Ok, as suggested, I'm taking a break from that large mess that was my box lift animation... to something more quick and fun!! :) A wall-jumping animation!

This is the first pass, most keys and breakdowns are in (might still need a few more breakdowns). Before I go further into tweaking it (as I have a bad habit of doing), I'd love to hear everyone's feedback on it :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfdTxHBj03s

Also, not sure what camera angle I want to use to best showcase this piece. Suggestions on that as well would be great. :)

Thanks for looking!

Although it is a nice work Mezz. Its missing physics.

For one. The person runs too fast and no one can figure out what just happened there..so be ready for "wtf wazz dat!! *blink blink*"

Suggustion:
    - Try to decrease the running pace.
    - If the person jumps on the first wall he should bounce on the other and step a little higher (take ref from Prince of persia series if you like)
    - Set the camera in the middle so people can see how he jumps on the first wall.

How jump on the wall works:

If the person is jumping by right stepping on one wall and bouncing by lifting himself up with the support of his right foot, he should have a right hand aligned with his foot to the wall to support the bouncing. and than moving out his left hand along with the left foot towards the second wall.....

Good luck
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    check out Creative Crash for some cool free rigs
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks, Cyrael, I'll be checking that place out :)

Nitewalkr - I can try to slow down the run, I'm just worried that it'll end up looking too slow if I do that--I can try fiddling around with it.
    Also, I'll double check what my hands are doing, seeing if I can get them working better like you suggested.

psychoticprankster - I'm working in 3DStudio Max, with its biped.

DarthNater - Sorry, I didn't bother throwing up planes to act as walls in this render, my bad. :P There is supposed to be a wall in front of him as he runs, and another wall perpendicular that he jumps to from the first one.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so it is jumping off of something before he hits that first wall LOL. It still looks too stiff when it runs across that wall, but everything else looks decent (I suck at animation so I may not be giving good crits haha).
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    re-render it with walls.....
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Ok, another update (with walls!):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma-tCxxTVzI[/ame]

A few changes made. Something funky with the run on the wall still, trying to figure that out... any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks again for looking! :)
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    your run isn't quite working. When you're sprinting, the majority of the time your body is flying through the air with nothing touching the ground. In your sprint, it seems like one foot is almost always touching the ground. It seems like your guy is sprinting in high gravity.
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats funky is that 90 percent of the time these guys lead with their heads - the reason is that they need to spot their landing, if they can't see where they're gonna end up they'll get seriously hurt. You're guy is leading with his feet, in any run the head is out in front of the body, if you are wall running your head is pointing in the direction you are going with your body almost perpendicular to the wall you are on...
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Mezz wrote: »
    Ok, another update (with walls!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma-tCxxTVzI

A few changes made. Something funky with the run on the wall still, trying to figure that out... any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks again for looking! :)

Mezz, *if you stick to one animation pattern only..=.=!*

watch this and observe the animation.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97BaqWsRAok&feature=related[/ame]

as you can see he side jumps the wall to run on the wall. Not jump forth the wall and run left on it. And if hez jumping forth he runs upwords on the wall to hold the edge to support him to boost running towards to other edge.

and one hand is always aligned with the wall.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    you do have to make him go in at it from an angle. you cant just jump straight at a wall then side step. make it a round about entry
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    If you're animating Spiderman, then maybe this would be possible, but normal people don't stick to walls...jumping vertical on a wall, making a 90° turn and run straight along the wall is absolutely impossible...you could run up a wall and do an 180° jump from the wall, or run along a wall and jump in the same direction your going, or at an angle up to 90°...jumping on a wall and then continuing up or along it is only possible with something to grab on...
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks a lot for all the replies, I think I got it now: wall-jumping straight-on is a no-go :P

Not sure how I can fix all this up without as much effort as starting a new piece, so I think that's what I'll do instead.

I was thinking of doing a piece soon with a lip-sync, but I'm having trouble finding good rigged models to download for 3DSMax. Anyone know where I can get some good ones for this? (Cyrael - Thanks for pointing me to Creative Crash, they had a lot of good stuff. Unfortunately, most of the good stuff is for Maya.)
  • bejkon
  • frettchen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz, I wouldn't worry too much about rigs to be honest unless you are wanting to do facial stuff - my first package for animation was Max and I pretty much just used Biped to learn with

As far as your jump goes, it was a good effort but some of the basics are still letting you down a bit - for instance trying to get the run right and then have it go into a jump is probably too big of a step right now so maybe breaking it down into its seperate pieces first?

Make a looping walk cycle, make a looping run cycle, try something like an idle or a death animation (these are always quite fun) and then once you have these working well, you can try to string those into other things :)

Keep up the good work!
  • DerDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerDude polycounter lvl 10
    Mezz, before you gare chasing your tail all along, invest more time in your timing/blocking. When your feel comfortable in this stage of production you don´t have to mess with to drasticl changes in the end (hopefully) plus your polishing will be alot easier.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bejkon wrote: »
    Honestly, the only thing LowMax has going for it is the facial controls. The FK/IK blending is just like every other rig out there. It has 2 separate sets of limbs you have to blend between to get what you need and then of course it uses the elbow look at system too... Biped does IK/FK also but it handles it in a pretty smart way with only one let of limbs.

It's amazing how little of the floating helpers and rig clutter you need with biped.

Honestly I think you should stick to biped, its just like the other rigs, does what they can do and is pretty clutter free. Besides you're learning the most important skills right now stick "how to animate" which transfer to whatever rig you use in the future. There is a big difference between knowing how a rig works and being able to "animate". Rig learning is about 5-10% of the learning when becoming an animator.

It's not the rig that makes the animators work great, but the animator that makes the rig do great work.

Or look into CAT (its available in 2010 to subscription members, standard in 2011).
    Or look into PuppetShop (if you want biped on crack + standard rig clutter).
    Or CrypticAR.

There is a lot of biped hate floating around and most of it can be debunked in minutes or chalked up to inexperience with the rig, or using an out dated version. Don't buy into the hate just because its there, try it all out for yourself and go with what you like.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, I think I will stick with the Biped, at least for a little while longer. I'm also considering grabbing a friend's model and rigging it myself, for practice in that too. (I have some knowledge of how to rig from school, wouldn't mind trying more of that).

However, right now, I'm realizing I need to get back to the basics. I have sat down and am reading "The Animator's Survival Kit" from front to back. I've glanced at some pages before, for walk cycles and the like, but never really gave it more thought. Silly me. I plan to now work myself back up, starting with ball-bounces and basic cycles. And then I'll rock out the more hard-core stuff. Oh yeah. You'll see.

(I'll have more animation updates soon... just not sure of what, or when... but, soon...!)
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not the rig that makes the animators work great, but the animator that makes the rig do great work.

thank god for this line vig....

You should jump over to the 11 sec club and drop that line. it feels like every 2 hours on that site someone is asking where they can get the bishop rig - because they see cool /good animations with it. Well the reason they see good animation with it is not because its an amazing rig, but because it is an AM only rig and can only be used by AM students - whose work is usually consistantly high. GAH. it infuriates me. (ppl asking for a certain rig bc they saw someone somewhere do something cool with it.) (*note to mezz - I was not in anyway referring to you asking where to find some rigs - your reasons were legitimate - you weren't searching for one bc you thought it was cool. and btw I think you're making some great progress so keep on posting!)
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Don't know if this has been said yet but I noticed it in all the videos you posted. He pauses before taking his initial jump instead of carrying his forward momentum through. He also probably shouldn't be able to increase his forward momentum at the moment when he jumps since we should assume that he is running as quickly forward as he can.

Check out this video of carl lewis doing a long jump.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyThXWLVkkc[/ame]
  • bejkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bejkon polygon
    Vig wrote: »
    text

He asked for a Max rig and I linked one that I thought maybe was good. I'm not saying it
  • torontoanimator
    hey mezz, the animation looks pretty good to me, glad to see youre still working :) my critique is more of a suggestion, have you considered having him run along a slightly longer wall? The run only looks a bit awkward to me because the wall isnt very wide you know? If the wall were longer it'd give the viewer a bit more of a chance to take it all in, but thats just me lol. Keep up the great work

josh
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    hey mezz, i dont have much to critque. but its nice to see you working on something.